Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Leaving a detector in the vehicle

Posted by coinspader 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Leaving a detector in the vehicle
August 10, 2019 12:43PM
Hey I'm curious to see if anybody actually leaves one of their detectors in their vehicle all the time, I recently purchased a little compadre and I got to thinking that a lot of people say when they are selling detector's that they are good ones to leave in the car in case you come across somewhere to hunt. Here in PA we get temperature extreme's both hot and cold and I was wondering if anybody leaves a detector in their vehicle all the time? Has anybody ruined a detector by doing that? I never leave any of mine in my car for fear of ruining it.
Re: Leaving a detector in the vehicle
August 10, 2019 12:52PM
Go to the fish market and ask for a styro foam fish cooler. They will probably give you them. Good for trunks.
[www.trygrouppackaging.com]

[www.thepackagingwarehouse.co.za]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
August 10, 2019 02:04PM
Get rain guards and always leave your windows cracked---will make a 50 degree difference.
August 10, 2019 03:47PM
Leave a digital detector in my truck cab 24/7, no problems. I'm in South East PA........Did I just jinx myself?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2019 03:49PM by ozzie.
August 10, 2019 04:45PM
I do in the trunk unless temps get in the 90s or below freezing then it comes in the house.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2019 04:47PM by Harold,ILL..
August 10, 2019 05:27PM
I am not saying you should or shouldn't, but when I had my own company, I kept my Discovery 3300 in the van with me at ALL times because sometimes there was periods of times I actually didn't have work to do and so I would go detecting. I live 14 miles from the Mexican border and it is hot down here all year long. I never had an issue with the detector. Never did give the slightest problem. Would I do that with a $1,000.00 detector? I doubt it. But my loaner, sure. After all, you have a computer and a lot of electronics in your car or truck and they are out in the cold and heat. Just sayin.
August 10, 2019 05:40PM
That's a good point! The electronics in the car are exposed to extreme temps and can with stand it. Never thought of that.
August 10, 2019 11:48PM
Well first it has to be mentioned that trunks are going extinct.

I never had the urgent need for a detector. Can't imagine I ever will.
August 11, 2019 03:47PM
Here in Florida this summer it would melt your detector if you left it in the car with the windows rolled-up.
I've lived in Florida most of my life and I can't remember it being this hot ever or maybe I'm just getting old.
August 14, 2019 03:14AM
I don't worry too much about ones with replaceable batteries. I'm more careful with anything using lithium batteries though. Heat is hard on their longevity.
August 14, 2019 07:27AM
About 5 years back i bought a Compadre control box that had been converted to take 5 pin coils rather than being hardwired,only paid i think £30 for it,and for the most part i do carry it in my boot (trunk) with a old shaft that i had laying around.And a shart handle spade as well as a 'el-cheapo' GP pinpointer that i also paid peanuts for.This is usually carried in the car all year round just incase i need one or the chance of a detecting session arises,but i certainly wont loose sleep at night if some crack head decides he need another fix.

I never ever carry any of my detect detecting gear in the car for sure,when i go out on say a club dig or rally or my own permission then all my decent gear goes in just prior to me leaving,i have alot of money tied up in detectors and equipment so i take care of it.Never had any issues with heat or anything but it does have a pull over cover so that not only folks dont see them but also keep direct sunlight out as well.