Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How should I handle this

Posted by SkiWhiz 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How should I handle this
December 03, 2023 01:15PM
I have never had a situation like this before and not sure what to do and would like your thoughts. I traded my Minelab Explorer 2 to a guy for his Minelab Sovereign GT.

I got this message from him:

I'm just letting you know this Explorer II has issues that are not going to be an acceptable trade for me.

Volume is low on speaker and headphones
8" coil missing all the insulation
Broken arm cuff

When I try to hit 9" merc in my test garden it will not hit on it. My CTX and Nox will hit it with a 6" coil.

I'll box it up and ship it back to you on Monday.

Just checking what you want to do.

This is what I replied:

I know that the outer jacket on the 8" coil is missing, doesn't effect performance because it is not shield. I have never had one before so I don't know about the depth, it was deep in my soil. The elbow cuff had black tape on it when I got it I never looked under it. We will have to figure something out as I am a not out to make anyone unhappy. I just paid $70.00 for a Tornado 8" coil for it,, I got the lower coil rod unstuck that was stuck inside the upper rod, had to tape the coil clevis as it would fall out or spin and got the meter adjusted to where it should be. With shipping it back to you I will be out over $100.00 which is a lot of money at this time of year for me.
Re: How should I handle this
December 03, 2023 04:36PM
He has a working detector. The perceived volume problem is not your issue.
The coil cover, who cares.
If it has a broken cuff maybe a little refund toward a replacement. Other than that, I would consider this deal completed.
December 03, 2023 05:13PM
If you were up front on the working condition , and the overall condition of the detector while discussing the trade ( which I’m sure you were ) I’d call it a done deal because he knew what he was getting.
December 03, 2023 05:15PM
Did you reveal these issues to him before the trade was made?
December 03, 2023 05:29PM
depends on your negotiations of the trade...were there pictures or a description of the taped arm cuff and coil sent or did in any way you say it was a perfect older, used detector?...both would have been in my mind before trading....or also if you said that if he wasn't happy he could just send it back...but with that time would be of the essence.

Other than that a deal is a deal.

so, it depends on just exactly what the deal was...on how 'I' would handle it.
December 03, 2023 06:20PM
There wasn't much communication, I send him a message asking if his detector was still available and he asked if I wanted to trade mine for it. Maybe he didn't ask questions because I bought it from a dealer that is a supporter on the Friendly forum that replied to my want to buy Explorer post and he replied with what what it was that he offered me. Like I said I know nothing about these Explorers but the depth seemed fine to me, I didn't mention the taped arm cuff because it wasn't an issue to me other than cosmetic, and I didn't mention the other jacket missing on the small coil as it didn't effect anything and I thought it was a bonus to the stock coil. The volume didn't seem to be really loud but I could hear it fine. If he was to pay for the 8" Tornado coil that I just got for it and cover the shipping I would trade back with him. It is a 29 year old detector it isn't going to be showroom.
December 03, 2023 08:16PM
I had that happen where was someone wasn't happy with a Tesoro I sent him and we just traded back.

Sounds a little suspicious. You need to check the Explorer II first to see if it's in the same condition as when you sent, before you send the Sovereign back.

I'm sorry that happened.
December 03, 2023 08:31PM
I meant 20 year old not 29 as I do not know exactly how old it is. Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this subject.
December 04, 2023 01:40AM
Whenever I trade on the forums I always ask for pics and I ask if there are any problems with the detector, when you don't do that you get what you get, it's his fault if he didn't get all the info about the detector, like you said most 20 year old detectors aren't going to be in perfect condition. Trading and buying on the forums is a gamble unless you know who you are dealing with.It's sounds like he had some lofty expectations as to what he was going to get, I don't think he has any recourse unless you feel like appeasing him in some way.
December 04, 2023 05:19AM
I think that if you accept that shipment when it is delivered, you're in a sense accepting his terms of return. I would contact him and let him know that you are not going to accept something that you didn't order or agreed to the return. Best to get in writing an agreement between you both that covers everything before he ships it back.
December 04, 2023 01:01PM
Steve, let us know how it works out.
December 04, 2023 05:20PM
If either party in a trade is unhappy, the trade should be rescinded or enough money added to the deal to make it an even trade.
December 04, 2023 05:24PM
He is going to pay for the return shipping and pay me for the 8" coil. All is good
December 05, 2023 02:02AM
This is a case for judge Judy
December 05, 2023 02:28PM
If you end up with the Exp. II back in your court, and still want to sell it, let me know. I love the Exp. II and wouldn't mind having a backup unit.

As for the supposed wimpy depth : I'm guessing this is just subjective whimsical opinion on his end . Eg.: Lack of correct settings, & lack of ability to interpret the admittedly wacky Exp. II sounds, etc... So : Assuming there's nothing actually wrong with it, I'm game to buy it.
December 05, 2023 09:55PM
Good to hear it's all working out well.