Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Things that make me go Hummmmmmm

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Things that make me go Hummmmmmm
November 07, 2011 11:37PM
I watch videos where someone is increasing the discrimination to eliminate a nail or iron object. Then when the detector does not react to the target, they say now the detector does not see the target.
How can it eliminate a target if it does not know it is there?

Does a target sink slower in soil that has a higher mineral content? Common sense would say yes....

Does sensitivity increase the depth of a detector? Or does it increase the gain of the audio?

All power lines here in the USA are 60hz, Is it not possible to design a detector that would eliminate most of the EMI that is emitted from the overhead lines?

Will there ever be a Dual Processor detector?

What is the deciding factor for deciding what frequency a detector will be?

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.........

Tom in SC
Re: Things that make me go Hummmmmmm
November 08, 2011 05:35AM
Hi, Here's my opinion on your questions..........

I watch videos where someone is increasing the
discrimination to eliminate a nail or iron object.
Then when the detector does not react to the
target, they say now the detector does not see the
target. How can it eliminate a target if it does not know
it is there?@@@@....It really can't eliminate the target with the use of higher discrimination it just don't react to it,, it's still there with it's negative reactions to any surrounding positive targets you are seeking.

Does a target sink slower in soil that has a
higher mineral content? Common sense would say
yes...@@@@....I say it depends on what type of minerals you are talking about but for the most part I agree with you.

Does sensitivity increase the depth of a detector?@@@@....Yes
Or does it increase the gain of the audio?@@@@.... No it increases the gain of the receiver portion of the metal detector.(thus more EMI and noisy ground reaction in some cases)

All power lines here in the USA are 60hz, Is it
not possible to design a detector that would
eliminate most of the EMI that is emitted from the
overhead lines?@@@@....It's pretty hard to design a high power detector that's immune to EMI because not all EMI is coming in at 60hz many appliances,computers,cell phones,microwaves,electric fences etc. etc. and some stuff that causes EMI travels along the electrical pulses on the power lines and through the air also....(a good shielded low or medium power detector could be utilized with minimum EMI)

Will there ever be a Dual Processor detector?@@@@. Yes there is already dual processors utilized in metal detectors an ARGUS GD5005 is one but there is other ones too.

What is the deciding factor for deciding what
frequency a detector will be?@@@@....By the circuit design and use of crystal oscillators or by the use of a CSMOS internally frequency compensated integrated circuit & sometimes by a PLL Frequency Synthesizer IC and sometimes the frequency is also controlled by different capacitors or resistors going to a common Coplitts Oscillator to change the frequency,,,,CRYSTALS,,,, etc...etc......JJ
November 08, 2011 11:52AM
Hypothetical?

I think "I'll just sit" !!! :-)
November 08, 2011 01:08PM
Like was said...... detectors do what they do... see metal, its still there even when disc.

I think in mineralized soil you have more combining and compacting much like hard pan in the water. That alone will reduce coin movement.

Ive got to go with increasing audio with sensitivity.... but with increased audio the processor will be the key to what you hear.... which could allow you to hear deeper target, if it can filter, separate and distinguish weaker good targets.

EMI..... has anyone taken a look at small writing on the Xcal? It says it complies with part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to: 1. Device must not cause harmful interference. 2. MUST accept ANY interference received including interference which may cause undesired operation. What does this tell you?

I dont know about the dual processor..... anytime you process a signal there is an affect on depth thou slight. wont this require more power on the received end?

As far a freq..... i think a lot depends on purpose of the detector. Some of the cheaper ones is simply to ID metal with some notching, factory presets for ease of use and stability.

Tom i get more time to set than think lol.

Dew
November 08, 2011 04:57PM
Hi, I'm going to elaborate a little more on these questions.........Does a target sink slower in soil that has a higher mineral content? Common sense would say yes........Around here in some spots the higher mineralized soil is more compacted so a coin would actually sink slower and not as deep.......But if I was on a highly mineralized sandy soil beach the sink rate would be faster.....Does sensitivity increase the depth of a detector?.....This can be a yes or no answer again it depends on the situation .......Most of your questions actually have two answers but I'm not going to wear my pinky out typing........I will kick back and wait for this to unfold.............. JJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 05:11PM by jimmyjiver.