Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I don't like what I'm reading

Posted by Beach 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I don't like what I'm reading
January 19, 2012 05:04PM
Check out the article in the Houston Chronicle this morning about a Coastal National Recreation area. I will make a prediction: If the 4 county area becomes a National Recreation area, we will lose the right to metal detect on the beaches or any area that lies within it's boundaries. I don't know of any area under the over sight of the federal government that permits it, and I don't see any reason they would change their stance on it here. Add to the fact that a restriction on detecting would probably get full backing from the state archeologists. We already have plenty of city, county and state laws to deal with, We surely don't need a bunch of federal laws as well. We had better keep our eyes on this one. Link: [www.chron.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2012 05:20PM by Beach.
Re: I don't like what I'm reading
January 19, 2012 05:22PM
Link should work now.
January 19, 2012 05:23PM
your allowed to MD on USFS lands
January 19, 2012 08:16PM
Well Wurthless I stand partially corrected, the USFS site says Metal Detecting is generally permited in most areas. When you research each individual location though, you start reading stuff like "with permit" "allowed but not recommended" "discouraged in some areas" etc. and I will add, the couple times I have asked I was told no. So I guess I will have to wait and see, becuse I feel its coming whether I like it or not.
January 19, 2012 08:22PM
Well Wurthless, I stand partially corrected, the USFS site says Metal Detecting is generally permitted in most areas. When you research each individual location though, you start reading stuff like "with permit" "allowed but not recommended" "discouraged in some areas" etc. and I will add, the couple times I have asked I was told no. So I guess I will have to wait and see, because I feel its coming whether I like it or not. I will definitely do my research and have a copy of the regulations for the area I'm planning to hunt next time I ask permission.Thanks for your input.
January 19, 2012 11:18PM
The noose slowly tightens.