Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First time out with F-75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Indiana Heath 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Went to the iron pit where I had been getting the relics from papermill with my SE. I had the ground very silent with it recovering @200 relics. Took the F-75 first time I ever used it there. Set discrim on 6...sensitivity on 82 and monotone like Nasa Tom told me to do. The results were startling. I dug targets in areas SE was completely silent. It was like I had never been there before! 3 times had a square nail in hole with a good target. I recovered 26 good targets in 2.5 hours. I could have easily gotten 60-70 if this machine had a sunray in line probe on it!! Took me longer to recover each target than SE with probe, but I found so much more. I scanned other areas close and will have many, many more targets to recover. How do you know what your missing if you don't even know its there? Where have I heard that before? What an awesome machine. Will go back this evening to get more...heat and humidity brought me in after a few hours and the nonstop action the F-75 provided.

Brad
Brad,

Nominal performance expected resultant thus far. ---You are operating a max'd-out T-2 with those settings. Continue those settings for a while. Then ... (and you'll be surprised) ... change your direction by 90Deg .... and the success will begin all over again. ((( See/Read = "Head-to-Head Comparison Testing" article ))).

Also,,,,, If you are CERTAIN that (before you started to dig)... you heard a good non-ferrous burp.......,,,,,,,, then completely lost the target when you excavated some dirt,,,,,..... don't ever forget you were "CERTAIN" of what you heard BEFORE you started to dig. ..... Drop Disc down to zero,,,and start recovering all iron/nails out of the way,,,,,..... until you find your "CERTAIN" target. Now,,,,,,,,, return the Disc back to a setting of '6' and press forth.

When you are ready, I'd suggest a Sens setting of '88'. Stay in the 'PF' mode (( 'DE' mode is also fine )).

After your 1st set of batteries,,,, eventually hit the same location with a Sens setting on '99'. Your discoveries will start all over again.

Do NOT get ahead of yourself yet.

NEVER, NEVER use the 'JE' mode for the first 4 months.

Tom
This morning I spent 1.5 hrs in 3 foot square area at the relic site-dug 26 good targets there and was still getting signals when I had to leave. You had said if I understood you right to use the setting of 6 discrim, monotone, and eventually work up to 99 sensitivity for the life of the detector. That is great for relics in a non modern trash area but what about using it looking for old coins? The VDI numbers jump around alot and dont lock in so how would you limit the amount of trash you would dig other than digging only the deeper signals?

Are you going to publish a book on using the F75? I am sure many of us would not be as successful with our detecting if not for your knowledge.
Thanks

Brad
Brad,

In an iron infested field, the F-75 (or any detector.... for that matter) will not ID coins correctly.... and 'cherry-pick'. There is no set-up config that will be a magical answer for this scenario. A coin under the coil in co-locate with iron/ferrous trash will bounce all over the ID scale. No magic solution here. Now..... if you move away from the iron-pit nucleus,,,,,, keep the F-75 on a Disc of '6', a high Sens setting that you ascertain FAIRLY good stability...... and just simply change to 4-tone mode. NOT 3-tone mode. You will be digging the top 2 tones..... as most older coins will tone-ID as 3rd highest tone on F-75. If you invoke 3-tone mode..... most older coins will ID as a mid-tone (aluminum trash tone). USE 4-TONE.....AND HUNT PRIMARILY BY AUDIO.

As far as writing a F-75 book...... I offered Fisher two new articles (one on T-2 and a very lengthy one on F-75)..... to be incorporated in Fisher Intelligence which would create the 7th edition..... and they respectfully declined........,,,,,,,,,, and, in furtherance,,,,, the new Fisher company will be discontinuing the free Fisher Intelligence book in the near future. No reason given.

((( Keep in mind, some areas you may not be able to run Sens on '99' due to instability ))).

Tom