Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detecting Hilton Head?

Posted by connortn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detecting Hilton Head?
February 08, 2012 03:55AM
A friend has offered my wife and I his condo for a weeks vacation at Hilton Head, SC for Feburary and I was wondering what the regulations are for metal detecting the beach areas. I would be detecting on the beach and not private or historical areas, and going there would be dependent upon being able to spend time there on the beach detecting. I'm not real sure of what to expect as far as weather is concerened. It looks like temps will be in the lows of 40's and highs in the 60's with some chance of showers. How should I be prepared to dress for 2-3 hours stints on the beach at a time during this time of year? I'll be mostly in the wet sand and in 1-2 feet of water unless the surf is rough. I don't have any divers boots and wonder if I should pick some up or maybe some insulated divers socks of something similar to wear with sandals? Anyone know the water temp there this time of year?

I have detected the Myrtle Beach area once about 2 years ago and really enjoyed it, but it was in warm September and we had very nice weather.

I will be using my CZ3D and a good long handle sand scoop.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Detecting Hilton Head?
February 08, 2012 05:19AM
Be careful on Hilton Head.....

Not sure about the beach but the land is off limit's ....If you get seen.....You got problem's...

I spent the weekened in jail in the late 90's for hunting down there...

The Island is covered in relic's......I could dig 70-80 civil war buttons on a weekend down there back then ....But it's not worth the hassle...

They deem the island a histroical preservation site... the town of Hilton Head has a Town code against detecting.....Weird I know since most of the island is built in modern condo's...

I think you can hun the beach but check at the town hall when you arrive...But I think it's doable...

What' s weird is there's spot's along the beach that is covered up in colonial relics at low tide if you know where to look!!but I guess that's o.k. since it's on the beach LOL!!!!
February 08, 2012 10:59AM
Hilton Head is a lanscapers paradise, every lot seems to be manicured, like the golf courses. They have restrictions on the colors of buildings. You won't see golden arches at the Mcdonalds, yellow is not one of the colors allowed. When I was there in December, twenty some years ago, there was near zero wave action and the only thing to do on the beach was run your dog....not sure about detecting. It wasn't swimsuit weather that time of year.
Kieth's experience goes along with the tight ship they run down there. So be carefull and cover your bases, as a few days in the pokey would be a vacation remembered.
February 08, 2012 11:15PM
As Keith said, be very careful on Hilton Head with a metal detector. I'm not sure if the beach is OK or not. I would get something in writing from the local authorities.

I live only 12 miles from HH and found some nice relics there in the 70's but thats all over now. It's not worth jail time.
February 08, 2012 11:25PM
I'm not certain how accurate my history is... but isn't Hilton Head island the location where the all black regiment known as the "Massachusetts 54th" fought a battle at Fort Wagner? If I recall correctly... they even made a movie about it.

-NEBeachcomber
February 08, 2012 11:56PM
NEBeachcomber, you were close, only about 60 miles away. The 54th Mass saw action on Morris Is. and James Is. both are just southeast of Charleston Harbor.
February 09, 2012 12:08AM
Jerry SC... thanks for providing the correct location. I saw the movie on television ("Glory" I think?) and recalled it as being the only Civil War battle that I had ever seen fought on a salt water beach and thought that it may have been on Hilton Head.
February 09, 2012 01:13PM
Being that detecting there might not be the wisest thing to do, are there beaches close by Hilton Head that would be safe and possibly produce good hunting? Looking at the map, looks like the whole area is covered with islands.