Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Lets start a 13" Detech coil thread

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Lets start a 13" Detech coil thread
February 11, 2012 06:23PM
If you have one, share your knowledge on this thread. No Tom, Im not trying to be the boss around here, LOL.
Re: Lets start a 13" Detech coil thread
February 17, 2012 09:12AM
For an E-Trac.

I've had the coil for a few weeks now and have only been able to test in the house due to the weather. With a NC done (channel 9) and sensitivity on manual 30 in discriminate with a fairly open screen (The Beat Goes ON's minimal discrimination screen for the most part).

The EMI wasn't too bad. Numbers with fairly repeatable (dig-able) VID's and sound.
Coin********Stock*******13" Detch******12X13 NEL
.05*********10.5"*******12"***********11.5"
.10*********10"*********11.5"*********11"
.25*********11"*********12.5"*********12"

The Stock coil was the noisiest at rest with the jumpiest VID but still acceptable.
The 13" Detech was the quietest and had the least jump VID followed fairly closely by the 12X13 NEL

When I tested the stock and 12X13NEL in the field a month ago (no EMI) I got these results:
Coin********Stock****12X13 NEL
.05*********12.5"****13.5"
.10*********12"******13.5"
.25*********13.5"*****15.5"

What I am really interesting in is how its separation is. When I was comparing deeper coin hits on the stock vs the 12X13 NEL it was VERY CLEAR that the NEL didn't have near the separation. I am hoping the 13" Detech is better, it sure is lighter.

Here is the weight breakdown of the stock, 13" Detech and 12X13 NEL respectively all weighed on an accurate kitchen scale:

800g 850g 1100g

The weight alone means I will be using the 13" Detech as I can say from hours of experience that the 12X13 NEL is noticeably heavier in the field.

Hopefully I can test the 13" Detech in the Field over the next few weeks as things are warming up,
Albert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 09:13AM by earthmansurfer.
February 17, 2012 02:16PM
Albert thanks for sharing the info on this coil, awaiting your results in the field testing. I just ordered one as i have a lot of old colonial fields to hunt this year and hoping this coil will go deeper then the stock Pro coil on my E-Trac. I think it should also do well at the beach working low tides. Keep us posted.
jrk
February 17, 2012 02:35PM
Deeper is nice, but only if the VID is at least as stable as the stock. Look forward to reading your thoughts.

Randy
February 17, 2012 03:11PM
Albert,once again thanks for sharing. You mentioned the Beep Goes on minimal pattern. Any possibility I could get this from you , to take a look at?? As, I am still using a pattern similar to the factory coin mode, I think I am wanting to try less disc.
Thanks,
John
February 17, 2012 03:15PM
My pleasure guys and I do mean that.

John - TBGO has a website and here is the patterns page.
[www.thebeepgoeson.com]

Albert
February 17, 2012 05:17PM
Went to website can not get anything to open. HELP!
February 17, 2012 09:16PM
I just purchased one. It should be here in about 3 weeks. Looking forward to sharing information on this coil. Looks very promising!

Jack
Detech 13" Ultimate
February 19, 2012 04:48AM
Received today for my E-trac... took 30 days to arrive to USA. Was the anticipation worth it?...

Only had around 15 minutes of light left once mounted on spare shaft. Took my E-trac stock 11" out to my test garden area first. Have assorted depths of nickels and dimes at 2-4-6-8-10" (buried approx. 15 months ago). Some are in clean ground, others in a more typical hunting trash dirt. Targets hit as they usually do, with tone and ID's I've seen many times from them. Doesn't matter what tones and ID's were specifically, just that they were "on par" from the many times I've tested them.

Put on "big white" (Detech Ultimate), and you know what... it felt lighter than the 11"... but in reality around the same weight. That was a big draw over what I was close to buying...a heavy NEL 12x13. More weight than stock is not what I desire on E-trac!

Big white hit better on test garden... better ID numbers and tone on 6-8-10" deeper targets. Not night and day better, just better. A bigger coil I would expect this of on clean dirt depth, so this is no miracle (but still good). Better in the trash dirt also!... which I was hoping to be better than stock, but would normally expect to be worse with larger size coil.

Next, I took a quick scrub over a heavy iron spot in my yard that I've pulled of good ID/tone targets (at every angle) over the past year plus... both with stock coil and 6" DD EQ2. In a matter of a minute or so, I had two different spots with ID/Tone I will dig... I expect both to be coins from the sound and ID.

The depth meter for those two undug targets may be telling me why big white is seeing what the other two coils couldn't... deeper than I'd expect the 6" DD to hit clearly in my dirt, (so no fault to it), but the stock I would have hoped to have hit these before... So I will conclude big white is seeing better into iron than stock at this depth... same as test garden trash dirt coins. Doesn't really matter the explanation after such a quick test, just the fact I have two more targets to dig soon... which was the goal of buying this coil (more targets to dig wherever I go).

A year ago, not sure I could have made heads or tails over this few minute gathering of info... but like anything you do over and over, you can affirm that something is different in just a few minutes (time will define a better conclusion).

Wouldn't post so quick or at all... but since coil took 30 days to arrive (and I'm probably the first in USA, or close to it to have one in hand), thought I'd share with those wondering and waiting... (with my first post)... and give something to ponder. YMMV of course, with your dirt, settings and such.
February 19, 2012 09:08AM
Great post Uncle Nudge - So, are you implying that the 13" Detech can be a replacement coil for the stock coil in most situations? I mean if it is deeper, does better in iron, etc. then it might be. This was my hope in ordering it but I really didn't think it would do better in iron.

The 12X13 NEL DOES NOT DO BETTER IN IRON and it's not close! So, if the 13" Detech is doing better, that is a HUGE improvement.

Please let us know how things progress and I'll do the same once things warm up - getting close.

Albert
February 19, 2012 09:55AM
Nothing special coil weight greater than given by the manufacturer. Nell 12x13 is more sensitive to small targets
[www.youtube.com]
[s018.radikal.ru]
[s018.radikal.ru]
[s018.radikal.ru]
[s018.radikal.ru]
February 19, 2012 11:47AM
BEFORE you dig your two 'suspected' coins up............ I would try all available coils on those two (real world) targets. Find out which coil(s) succeed.... and 'why' they succeed (and equally important.... why they fail)...... on these two targets.
February 20, 2012 12:41AM
Dug the "suspects" before reading the above... if the stock coil had given me these readings/clues, I really believe they would have been coins from past experience (nickel and penny)... However, this new coil is speaking a different language, which I will have to learn (they weren't coins). Still kind of interesting though, as the one I thought was a nickel had a rusty chair spring about 2" down, with a smaller than dime size roundish aluminum another 4" directly below (which read as a trashed nickel). Not sure if that's good or bad yet...

I figure the better test garden readings are from added depth of coil at this point. Any other detecting benefit will have to be gained (or lost) over another learning curve.

One thing I do like... the added coverage area with no noticeable weight difference. I weighed them... stock coil weighs 550kg, DU13 weighs 610kg.

The white had to go, my eyes were not liking it in daylight... mine is now black. Don't get much sun to worry about white vs black.
February 20, 2012 02:44AM
Just dug an 8-9" on angle dime stock coil missed, so happy with that. Too bad it was 1966.

Deeper targets with no noticeable weight gain was the goal (so far so good) for this coil, with hope of at least matching performance to stock for shallower targets (yet to be determined).
February 20, 2012 12:36PM
Yes...... head-to-head comparison............ on the exact same real-dirt/real-world target can be very 'telling'.
February 20, 2012 01:12PM
Denari Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing special coil weight greater than given by
> the manufacturer. Nell 12x13 is more sensitive to
> small targets
> [www.youtube.com]
> =channel
> [s018.radikal.ru]
> pg
> [s018.radikal.ru]
> pg
> [s018.radikal.ru]
> pg
> [s018.radikal.ru]
> pg

The weights given by the manufacturer were without the cable. But still the 13" Detech is just behind the stock coil in weight and much lighter than the 12X13 NEL. I have hunted with both now, 13" Detech for 3 hours and the NEL for more, and can say the 13" Detech is noticeably lighter. I imagine they are close in separation, but will have to test this in the field.

Regarding hunting in iron, the 13" Detech definitely falses more on iron than the stock coil. I video'd this yesterday on a deep piece of rounded iron and it fooled the Detech more than the stock. I experienced this on 3 or so targets. In fairness the ground was saturated with water and iron mineralized some, so it was tough hunting. When thing warm up (ground still frozen and I only hunted by some bushes where the ground wasn't AS frozen) I'll hunt more with it.

I will say this, don't expect miracles in trash from the 13" Detech. Yes, it separates well but I was having a hard time pinpointing with it (just like the NEL) and it picks up all targets in the ground, so this coil is NOT meant for trashy ground. It will work some, but make for a difficult going. If your ground has a lot of targets this is NOT a replacement for the stock coil, that was clear to me. But if the ground is not too bad the weight of the coil is a pleasure when compared to the 12X13 NEL. That said, my back is a little sore today from swinging the E-Trac for 3 hours.

I don't know if most guys in American care about sensitivity to smaller targets as they are often coin hunters (not going for small roman cut quarters). They are looking for more depth and the video shows that to be the case as does my air testing, which is something. I will have to test this as well. Perhaps beach hunters might care if they use DD coils there.

Oh, I was using my E-Trac.

Albert
February 20, 2012 04:49PM
Albert thanks for the update on the 13" Detech, still waiting on mine. My Nel Sharpshooter seems to work well in testing. My ground is still frozen also.
February 20, 2012 05:52PM
That Sharpshooter looks great. I have the 6X8SEF but hear a lot of nice things about the Sharpshooter.

Anyway, I have to learn Imovie, so edited the video from yesterday down to 4 minutes. I really would like to hear your opinons on the 13" Detech Vs Stock on this target. I also compared Discriminate to TTF (So, I didn't put discriminate in an open Quick Mask screen, but will next time.)

What is also interesting about this iron target is that it was showing itself as two targets roughly 12" or so apart. The coin I had dug before was the same (with both coils.)

Thanks,
Albert

[www.youtube.com]
February 21, 2012 03:50AM
Hence why I do not prefer Auto (or Semi-Auto) sensitivity.
March 23, 2012 06:43PM
Hi Guys. I know this thread may be a few weeks old now but I thought I would add something that may be of interest.
I have recently completed a preliminary field test on the Ultimate coil which some of you may find helpful. The targets are primarily European based as in size, but I'm sure you will be able draw your own conclusions. The link to read it is below.
All the best.................
Chefphones

[docs.google.com]
March 23, 2012 11:51PM
Nice review. I have seen where some men here in the States ordered the coil and never got it. Have those problems been resolved?
March 24, 2012 12:20AM
Chef - Thanks for the review. Can you go more into the details regarding this coil on depth and in iron Vs the NEL. You just said it's better but really didn't give examples or the like.

Thx
March 24, 2012 08:17PM
I have had two Nel coils, sadly both became faulty due to loose wiring at the coil, but I was impressed with them, though I did dig more iron than I was used too, also coke reared it's ugly head once or twice which is unknown on the Explorer range.
This I believed was a fare trade off for the extra sensitivity. However Detech seem to have given all the sensitivity but have managed to hold on to it's stability in id'ing targets. The 13 inches does mean that this is not a coil for heavy iron contamination as it's taking too many targets in its footprint. It performs better than the Nel (imho) in that it can separate targets better i.e. when going over a low conductive target which has iron below it, you can tell by the tone that it's not just iron. One area other than depth where I have seen an improvement is in digging coins that are at an angle and would normally give either a "iffy" or no signal.
The depth increase as I have said in the field test is more noticeable on the higher conductive targets and 14" is not unusual at all for a 25mm diameter milled coin, This however is quite frustrating because many of the more sort after old UK coins are in the Low conductive range, so you just find out how deep they probably are and will never get them. Ignorance is bliss in some situations lol.
March 25, 2012 02:22AM
Friday I talked to Wanda at KellyCo and the 13"DD is $395 and is on backorder. I told her I guess I wouldnt be getting one of those because of the price and I havent herd from her yet. What price is anyone hearing this is going for?
March 25, 2012 02:42AM
About 250.00 on Ebay including shipping. But you will wait 40 days for it. 395.00 is out of control.
March 25, 2012 10:27AM
$395?????????????????????????? That's profiteering and then some.
wow, fast shipping
March 26, 2012 10:55PM
i ordered this 13' bad boy 12 days ago, and it arrived today. I was not expecting it for a few more weeks. From Bulgaria to the mid US. Im impressed!
tried it out today
April 04, 2012 01:14AM
I put this bad boy on my safari today, and headed to the beach, on an inland lake. I set the sensitivity on 18( of 20). No emi problems, nice liteweight coil. This beach turned out to be picked clean, but I picked up a tiny melted nugget of aluminum, 3/8" long , 2" deep, 1/4"diameter lead sinker at 3", an old style pulltab, ring with tail attached 10" deep, and my only coin, a dime at 6". towards the end of the hunt I was able to max out the sensitivity at 20, and the machine still ran smooth. This coil, is lite, covers alot of ground, is very sensitive to small targets, good depth, and its a keeper! Sungasses recommended when using her in the bright sunlite.
April 04, 2012 05:03PM
$199.95 at KellyCo now! Sounds like the squeeky wheel got oiled smiling smiley
April 04, 2012 05:17PM
Lipservice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $199.95 at KellyCo now! Sounds like the squeeky
> wheel got oiled smiling smiley

Ur kiddin!!!!----What a roller coaster ride with this coil!------I might end up getting one of them after all--now that I don't have to buy the Detech Co. to do it! (400 clams)