Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone have a US $1.00 gold coin and a Deus?

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone have a US $1.00 gold coin and a Deus?
March 19, 2012 06:05AM
I would be very interested in finding out what the VDI numbers for the coin would be. If I can't find anyone I'll have to go to a coin shop or something and do a few air tests.
Re: Anyone have a US $1.00 gold coin and a Deus?
March 19, 2012 12:12PM
Good question. I would also be interested in air-test range.
March 19, 2012 02:07PM
Would a Mexican 2 peso be acceptable gold coin for this test? It is very similar in size and half the price. The karat of the gold content would be the deciding factor.
March 19, 2012 04:15PM
Since my found nugget is about 1/20 of a gram ... I bought a 1/3 gram nugget off of eBay to check my Deus. At home (under the power lines) it gave an accurate (steady) VDI at 1.5" and a good signal significantly farther. The EMI was disturbing the audio enough where I couldn't get an accurate distance.

If anyone in the Los Angeles/Orange county area has a $1 coin I'd be glad to check it out on the Deus and possibly video it.

I plan (one of these days) to check some gold hunting sites in Southern California.

HH Joe
March 19, 2012 05:21PM
schultzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would a Mexican 2 peso be acceptable gold coin for
> this test? It is very similar in size and half the
> price. The karat of the gold content would be the
> deciding factor.

Schultzie,

I did the air test with a 2 peso gold back in Apr 2011 when I got my Deus. I will look up the spreadsheet when I get home. I tested both the 9 inch and 13 inch coils and with the different default programs.

Cuniagau

“Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.”
March 20, 2012 02:19AM
A U.S. $1 gold coin is easier to acquire........... and is a good test-standard tool.
March 20, 2012 04:49PM
Two Peso Gold air test. The first number is the 9 inch coil and the second is the 13. Programs 5,6 and 9 run at 8 khz and gave VDI of - 43/49, 44/44, 43/55. Programs 1 and 4 run at 12 khz and gave VDI of - 49/50, 50/49. Programs 2,3, 7, and 8 run at 18 khz and gave VDI of - 58/58, 59/59, 58/56, 58/58.

I only ran the stock program but at 4 khz the VDI should be lower than these numbers.

The air test also showed that the audio was aquired as much as 3 inches before VDI was aquired.

These were ran last April when I had 0 experience on the Deus and was down with back problems and this was about the only thing that I could do.

I ran the same air test with 3 cent silver, seated half dime, seated dime, seated quarter, V nickel, corroded IH, green patina IH, wheatie, silver half dollar, gold band, heavy gold band, .69 round musket ball, .69 minnie ball, ring tail sharps, Mississippi rifle bullet, Enfield, .58 minnie ball, silver plated eagle cuff button, two piece eagle coat button, beavertail, square tab and Cororna bottle cap.

Cuniagau

PS I had a nice day last Friday evening when I dug two Indain Heads, V Nickel and a very worn 1856 seated dime out of a site that I got the hunt for about 2 1/2 hours.

“Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.”
March 20, 2012 05:23PM
schultzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would a Mexican 2 peso be acceptable gold coin for
> this test? It is very similar in size and half the
> price. The karat of the gold content would be the
> deciding factor.

The reason I asked is that I already have several of these coins. Some were obtained from ebay for $30 prior to the gold boom last year.
March 20, 2012 06:55PM
It would be nice to have a cheap "small low-conductivity" test target to use as a "standard", as, even if they are available, gold 1 dollar coins are in no way cheap.
May I make a few plausible suggestions? If it has to be a coin, two possibilities are: British cupro-nickel sixpence (1948 - 1970 approx) target ID's at 22 on an F75, though it is larger (dime-sized), or a Norwegian/Swedish 10 Ore cupro-nickel coin from 1970/80's approx. This ID's around 20, and is a good match size-wise to the dollar, being about 14.5mm (9/16th inch) diameter, and quite thin. Both these are of no significant 'collectable' value, and can be obtained on online auction-sites readily.
[colnect.com]
[www.ebay.com] (example of price)
If non-coin targets are acceptable, a 0.22 inch (or 0.177 inch) lead airgun pellet is small, fairly standard in size and ID's around 21 on an F75. But I'm not sure how 'worldwide' they are.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2012 09:52PM by Pimento.
March 21, 2012 03:20AM
Pimento - I believe Tom picked the U.S. Type 1 $1 gold coin as a standard because it is the smallest gold coin produced in the US. Very hard to detect.
March 21, 2012 03:22AM
I'm going to have to find a coin shop close by to test one. I thought, for sure, someone had already tested it.
March 21, 2012 08:54AM
Quote:"I believe Tom picked the U.S. Type 1 $1 gold coin as a standard because it is the smallest gold coin produced in the US. Very hard to detect."
Yes, I realised this, but at 80 dollars it's impractical - I would prefer something less than 3 dollars so I can permanently bury 4 of them, have one for airtesting, and a spare or two. I'll have a look into what might make a suitable 'fake dollar' coin.
Edit: Here's the result of my attempt at a 'fake dollar':
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 03:41PM by Pimento.
Where can one buy a one dollar us gold coin for $80.00 ?????
March 22, 2012 01:13AM
I would buy more than one at that price.
March 22, 2012 03:22AM
Wow, the price really went up on these coins (2 peso). I got mine for $33. They are small though...

[www.ebay.com]
March 23, 2012 10:21AM
I just spoke to a major coin shop owner. He says that maybe half of the $1.00 US gold coins around are counterfeit. They make them overseas and them sell them in the US market at a premium.
March 23, 2012 10:47AM
Silverhound: The 80 dollar price was intended to be an approximate figure for the cheapest example available, as this is all that is required for detector-testing. Such as ex-mount ones, pierced for jewellery, worn examples, that have bullion value only. Recent examples on eBay UK have sold for 45 to 55 pounds, 70 to 85 dollars.
March 23, 2012 01:18PM
Thanks, I will keep a look out on Ebay for such a coin as I would love to have one for testing as well.