Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Yesterday and Today's finds

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Yesterday and Today's finds
March 20, 2012 07:27PM
Been doing a lot of hunting here lately...hooked up with a local fella that he and I have been sharing knowledge on things. I'm good for the Civil War thing and he is more of into the native American artifacts and just getting into metal detecting...in which I'm just now getting into.

Anyway here are my finds from yesterday hunting a new little spot. With my knowledge of where the troops were in this area, I was able to get in a new spot due to him knowing the owner of this one particular piece of property. This place was supposed to have not been hunted since the 1970s but we could see evidence that some trespassers had been in there digging recently...as in the last year or so. Down by the road was where we found relics...once you got away from the road is where the previous dig holes and junk was thrown down and no relics...I figured they knew they would get caught by the road so they would hightail it deeper into the woods away from the road. Not a lot for a new site...just shows "they were there". Mixed in this pic are my silver coins from the past few hunts at an old homesite I've been detecting. This is all the silver coins from this one local...mixed with the finds from yesterday.

Upclose pic of the Eagle cuff button. Nice "woodsy" patina on it. These were basically all found with the eTrac.

Now for the new stuff....these are today's finds. More and more farmers are going to this "no till" technology where they are doing crops without having to till the ground. It's good for them...but horrible for arrowhead hunting. We went to try and find a gravel bar on a creek but the waters were too high from the recent rains we've had....and thus I began walking down a farm road along the creek we were looking at and began finding flint chards. Now the guy I'm hunting with is the arrowhead guru. He knows them all by name and dates, etc. I know just enough to know what shape they are and that indians probably made 'em. So he was pointing out some flint chippings and such on the ground and was kneeling down to study the dirt they were in and I looked down and said "while you're down there, hand me that arrowhead before you step on it and break it worse than what it is" lol he about had a fit....sure enough right at his boot lay one plain as day in this road bed. I walked about 20 yards total from that one and picked up 3 more. All are broken but you can tell what they are. One little bird point, and the white colored one is the one he was nearly standing on. I don't care what kind of stuff it is...I just like finding old stuff sometimes.

Very nice! You forgot something, though...
March 20, 2012 11:32PM
You forgot to tell us what kind of detector you were using so folks can start an argument about it relative merits. lol
Re: Yesterday and Today's finds
March 21, 2012 03:24AM
Arrow heads, three ringers, and silver.... what more could a guy ask for?!! Good job! I envy you. smiling smiley