Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Move Over Fellas -

Posted by Steve Towell 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Move Over Fellas -
March 21, 2012 09:31PM
Hi All -

I figure I'm just another refugee from Findmall but I think I landed in a better spot over here with my CZ-3D. Thanks to the member from the Views forum over there that pointed me over here; this place looks to be the definitive reference for my machine!

I really like by CZ but need to get something a little lighter to swing. I don't know how some folks can swing an Explorer or Etrac for hours on end. I think I'd poop out in less than sixty minutes! Anyway, I need to do a little more research as I'm quite a new-bee, but I'd like the sounds of my machine in half the package weight. I can say one thing for certain though: I will not patronize any Findmall sponsor after what I went through over there. I was reluctant to post this PM with a guy named "Gary" over on Findmall (whoever he is), and I've stewed over it for about a week, but I think it's fair warning to those that might frequent both forums.

So here goes:

Guvner
If I'm wrong that's fine. It's my forum and I have already stated how I'll run it. Your posts look too identical to a previous poster who has been banned.
I can pay a guy and find out what I want but this way is easier. Your home email address for your IP provider is the only thing that will keep you on here.
Gmail, yahoo, hotmail and the rest are all ones that we have to work at.

Thanks...

Gary

Father Towell
I figure I don' fully understand but that's OK. The address fatherwhite1949@gmail.com is my private email. That is the one I used to sign up on this
and other forums. It is the safest for me. You know there are a lot of bad people out there looking for information! My church email is 'private'
and we don't use that except for business. There are a lot of good folks that use email extensions like the ones you listed. They are free!!!

I hope you understand my situation better.

May God be with you.

Steve

Guvner
Gmail is not the private email we require. You have to have an email that goes to your private provider. The rules are at the top of the page.
I don't use your email for anything and no one's email at Find's has ever been sold to an outside vendor. It's just my rule when I am suspicious that
someone has come in under a different name. I will allow you on the rest of the forums but not the Views forum as that's the only one with the rule.
If you have some political leanings you just have to play by my rules. I'm pretty sure I know who you are but I've been wrong before. This just keeps both
of us honest. Even I have dressed up as a priest on Halloween. Just a quick trip to "Catholic Supply"...

That's it. You have to provide me with an email from a local DSL provider. As already stated, gmail, hotmail, aol, and the rest are available to anyone
once on the web and provide us with no way of actually tracking them without paying someone else to find out who they are. It's as easy as that.
If your email doesn't provide what we need you won't be allowed to post on the Views. Your choice.

Thanks,

Gary
Find's Treasure Forums

Father Towell
Gary, I don't know who you think I am. I just found your site a few months back but if your postings on the Finds-Views are indicative of how you
treat people, people who might buy something from your sponsors, I don't think I belong there or anywhere else on your site. I told you I was concerned
about security and then you tell me that I don't provide you with any way of 'tracking.'

So I'm done here; please delete my account. It's just my rule! I'll find another site where the folks that run it don't want to track the visitors.

Steve

I don't like any internet site 'tracking' me. Maybe I'm too old fashioned or naive, maybe I need to stay off the computer, but I don't like it nevertheless.
Re: Move Over Fellas -
March 21, 2012 09:49PM
Hate to break it to you but most big websites track information about you. You mentioned that you use gmail. Google gathers as much data about you and the sites you visit as the can legally. Ever shop online? They use tracking cookies. Most sites that keep track of visitor statistics track you to know how long you spend on the site, where you came from and where you left the site. It is safe to say that you cannot go very far on the internet without some data about you being tracked. Its the sacrifice we make to use the internet. Anyways, welcome to this forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable detectorists here.
March 21, 2012 10:46PM
I was going to write a large post but not going to happen as I remember even as a kid the fella that owned the ball always played....with that "welcome aboard" and am sure you will enjoy this forum...and don't be shy as we prefer dancers rather than wallflowers....
March 22, 2012 12:02AM
I am sure I speak for others when I say you are most welcome here.......especially as a fellow CZ owner. You probably already know this, but you can take the CZ control unit off [it slides off] and put it on your belt to lighten the load........another trick is to use the 5" coil [lightens the load] as it still gets very good depth and works better in trashy areas.....there are many polite knowledgeable people on this forum and I'm sure they can give you more ideas.....
March 22, 2012 01:17AM
Steve....welcome to the forum. I have posted a picture of my CZ6a mounted on a straight shaft before, but will do it again. Set up this way, it's balanced perfectly and is lighter, in terms of how it feels and swings, then most any detector I have used ( except for some of the Tesoros I have )

The only caveat is you can't see the meter or use the pin point button in a usable fashion, but since I hunt by the CZ's tones and I pin point very accurately without the pin point button, this set up works for me.

March 22, 2012 01:36AM
Welcome to the forum. I was accused of being that same person. I guess the Guv sees him around every corner. I can assure you that I am who I say I am. I love to detect and I love learning how to become better at it. That is why I come here.
March 22, 2012 02:25AM
I've went on several times about the simpletons that run Findmall, so I won't go back into it. BUT, I can't for the life of me figure out the reason for his requirement. The only people he's trying to avoid are ones (wink, wink) that can EASILY fake what he's asking for... he's a strange cat (and a dishonest dog).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 02:25AM by Shambler.
March 22, 2012 02:29AM
Steve . . . Welcome . . . this is the place you hoped it would be.
Just Don't mention the "D" word.
March 22, 2012 02:30AM
Welcome and some very good folks on this forum that are more than happy to lend a helping hand.
Not sure why you posted a PM "Private Message" from another forum though.Not very private anymore LOL.
Why is he dishonest?
March 22, 2012 02:58AM
The requirement to have a *real* traceable email for a forum is a security measure which is widely implemented.

Shambler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've went on several times about the simpletons
> that run Findmall, so I won't go back into it.
> BUT, I can't for the life of me figure out the
> reason for his requirement. The only people he's
> trying to avoid are ones (wink, wink) that can
> EASILY fake what he's asking for... he's a
> strange cat (and a dishonest dog).
March 22, 2012 03:12AM
Steve Towell Wrote:
> I don't like any internet site 'tracking' me.

Oh no... your being tracked.... Tom tracks us all...... worked for NASA for years..... space satellites and all kinds of neat stuff..... he's got the goods man.... the next time your out digging and you think your having EMI problems...... nope.... it's Tom.... watching you!!!

Ha ha... just kidding of course! The some of the moderators at findmall are peculiar. If they do not agree with what you say they will blast you and within a few hours your being bombarded by their minions... and NEVER question their authority. There are good guys over there don't get me wrong. Sometimes I just shake me head with how they handle certain situations that's all. Welcome aboard.
March 22, 2012 03:40AM

The requirement to have a *real* traceable email for a forum is a security measure which is widely implemented.

Fake security is fake. I once explained to one of their mods why the classified section was a disaster waiting to happen, and outlined how easy it would be for anyone with some Internet 'skills' to steal tens of thousands of dollars in a matter of days from their users. They replied with "We sell advertising, not security". That sums them up.

BTW, traceable to where? Obtaining a court order to prove johhny@att.com called "the guvner" a putz? Do you honestly believe that someone looking to do nefarious things, couldn't obtain a usable email for that site? All they are doing is harrassing good people intending to do good things. Those intending to do bad, can still do it quite easily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 03:41AM by Shambler.
March 22, 2012 03:58AM
Ok, all I said was that many forums do that. I'm not here to argue about security or anything.

There's always someone who thinks they can do a better job. Why not just get your own forum?

And you haven't answered why is he 'dishonest'.
March 22, 2012 04:18PM
I just read that someone threatened to kill the Guvner and that is why he is doing it. My question is, What did he do to invoke such a reply? Go to the "Views" forum and read some of his arrogant posts. He belittles quite a few for following their beliefs. That's just wrong on so many levels. I guess it IS his site and we are just guests there. Personally, I can take it or leave it.
March 22, 2012 05:03PM
PM's are not private. The moderator or owner of a site has full access to all post and messages. NEVER PM info that you do not want shared. Once it is posted on another server then it belongs to the owner.

Tom in SC
March 22, 2012 06:30PM
TManly..exactly why I will never join a social networksmiling smiley...might as well put a internet cam in my house...lol
March 22, 2012 07:26PM
This thread is not very helpful as far as detecting goes.But I guess some frusrated folks gotta have a public place to vent lol.
I am looking forward to some Deus input from some of you more experienced detectorist.The light weight alone has me intrigued.....
March 22, 2012 07:52PM
nannynannybooboo
There's always someone who thinks they can do a better job. Why not just get your own forum?

Pfffft! I do have a couple of forums, and as their users get younger, they're going to have problems. Your argument is flawed since this discussion isn't about workerbees complaining about management.

His point to Steve Towell is like saying that shoving every person that visits your store will stop shoplifting. It doesn't make sense on any level - and yes, I could do that part better. Now, what about the 30 year old that's been using a Yahoo account for 10 years? They seem to do fine everywhere else. The whole industry is moving to cloud computing, so the days of having an email address that resides on an ISP's local server will soon be over.

Dishonest... Did you ever wonder why there's no realistic reviews on the site? No discussion about pitfalls - ZERO comparisons between detectors on the vendor specific forums. Personally, I've had dozens of posts deleted and our club members all report the same things. They sell advertising, and to them, honesty and free discussion doesn't fit the advertising model they're using. But, they may have fooled you into believing they are operating an honest and secure site.

They kicked Mr. Dankowski off the site - hahaha. I'm sure that was above board and based on sound logic.

I just read that someone threatened to kill the Guvner and that is why he is doing it.

He decided to interject himself into his own money making site. He now has a public persona, and with that comes these kinds of things.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 07:57PM by Shambler.
March 22, 2012 07:57PM
Welcome to the site, I too was a Cz3D newbie last year. This site was a giant plus to getting started with it. THEROVER61 gave you one idea to help with the CZ's weight, I have mine hip mounted and some here use a chest harness, sure makes a big difference for me. I rarely use the meter and I X the target for pinpoint so accessing that button is only needed when I want a bit more target info..
March 22, 2012 10:21PM
You've actually hit upon a pet peeve of mine.

The fact remains that if you don't like the way he runs HIS forums, don't go there. He runs them the way he sees fit. I really don't understand why you're whining so much about it.

There are plenty of other forums. Relax and enjoy the hobby and stop worrying about other forums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 10:32PM by Detectorist.
March 23, 2012 02:00AM

There are plenty of other forums. Relax and enjoy the hobby and stop worrying about other forums.

Consider thinking of the new folks to the hobby that he misleads in order to sell advertising. He should be ashamed really.

I suppose the same thing could be said about your replies.... relax and enjoy the hobby - I'm clearly not going to agree with you.

You wont see me there. The whole lot of them can take a leap for all I care.
I bet you are a legend in your own mind Shambler....
March 23, 2012 01:33PM
Starting to see why you were booted from Finds with your "know -it-all" attitude....
Have you considered trying to add something positive to this great forum rather than your whining about how bad another forum is or how they mistreated you there?
I have to wonder if all your bad mouthing of others makes you feel more important??????

PS. Sorry Mr. Tom for getting caught up in this non-detecting thread and will try to stay on track better in the future.
Re: I bet you are a legend in your own mind Shambler....
March 23, 2012 08:11PM
The Guv and his forum are corrupt. No doubt about it. But at this point it makes no difference to me. He can have his forum and what is left of his supporters. I think that his paranoia has sent many scrambling for other forums. Banning an 80 year old man the other day for questioning him had to be the low point of his miserable views forum. I'm done with his forum and done talking about him. Time to detect.
March 24, 2012 01:26AM
Welcome Steve. I too own a CZ-3D (calibrated by Tom) and have found it more pleasurable to use than the Fisher F75LTD. An F70/75/Gold bug might be just the ticket for you. Fisher has some of the best ergonomics out there.

Sorry you had a problem with the Guvner; I've had my share of him over the years on the "Views". Goodmore and I were one of a handful that challenged him on that forum; I just couldn't sit still when he bashed Blacks, Muslims, Jews, Gays, or whatever his favorite minority was at the moment. Of course we've been kicked off his forum too, so consider yourself among friends. I still can't figure the guy out. He runs a commercial forum with paid advertising base and seems to alienate folks every chance he can get. Go figure...

Our metal detecting crowd is predominately white, male and aged, not exactly the customer base you want to go after in the next twenty years given the demographic change happening today. Maybe some of his sponsors need to give him a little dope-slap and wake him up! I need to buy the small coil for the CZ... been waiting for the longest time to find a used coil, but I've given up. I think a few phone calls to KellyCo or Bart are in-order for next week? Boy will those Findmall advertisers hear an earful...

Some of you folks know that I work for BMW and travel a lot (I really wish I had more time to detect.) I started a thread here a year ago comparing the Etrac to the LTD and still haven't finished it; it's probably more than a dozen web pages back. So today I wake up early in Grand Rapids, MI and drive to Lapeer, MI for a meeting at an automotive prototype shop, then drive to Detroit for a late flight back to South Carolina. But apparently, sometime today, I'm trying to crash the Findmall firewall! [www.findmall.com] I seem to be lurking around every corner in his mind (I hope he's paying his IT guys overtime.) You know Gary can't throw Tom (%$#@_& under the bus too many times.

One of my conservative buddies over there recently emailed me calling him a "meglomaniac" (now that's a funny word). I honestly didn't know what it mean't so I had to do a little research. Wiki defines it as "Megalomania is a psycho-pathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of power, relevance, or omnipotence. 'Megalomania is characterized by an inflated sense of self-esteem and overestimation by persons of their powers and beliefs'."

Nailed it.
March 24, 2012 02:59AM
I swear, folks worry too much about other forums. Start posting some of your finds, please.

So far I've only found a bunch of clad with my Deus. Been raining almost every day.

My Deus will beat your E-trac any day. smiling smiley
March 24, 2012 03:14AM

So today I wake up early in Grand Rapids, MI and drive to Lapeer, MI for a meeting at an automotive prototype shop, then drive to Detroit for a late flight back to South Carolina. But apparently, sometime today, I'm trying to crash the Findmall firewall! [www.findmall.com] I seem to be lurking around every corner in his mind (I hope he's paying his IT guys overtime.) You know Gary can't throw Tom (%$#@_& under the bus too many times.

LOL! I love it.

Posting finds? PASS! We post 'em on our club site - that's enough. Giving archies more reasons to bother us is nuts.
March 24, 2012 03:39AM

Starting to see why you were booted from Finds with your "know -it-all" attitude....
Have you considered trying to add something positive to this great forum rather than your whining about how bad another forum is or how they mistreated you there?
I have to wonder if all your bad mouthing of others makes you feel more important??????

"All of your bad mouthing of others"... care to elaborate on "others", or are you just bad mouthing? I'm pertty sure this discussion was about one jack wagon that can't seem to keep out of trouble on his own site. I know your type though, the know it all, that jumps in to call others "know it alls"..... haha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 03:40AM by Shambler.
March 24, 2012 01:49PM
Quote: I've went on several times about the simpletons that run Findmall, so I won't go back into it. BUT, I can't for the life of me figure out the reason for his requirement. The only people he's trying to avoid are ones (wink, wink) that can EASILY fake what he's asking for... he's a strange cat (and a dishonest dog).

Firts off by reading through you past posts here and at Finds it is obvious their are a lot of things you are unable to "figure out"

Like I said a legend in your own mind and a know it all. How come if the management at findmall is made up of simpletons they are able to thrive and grow into one of the most succesful detecting sites in the world.You calling the owner of said forum strange and dishonest is good for a laugh....I am sure many of the readers of your post might think the same of you.

Kinda like you falsly accuse one of the mods of faking a coin in dirt ball.

You should get a clue and grow up some day.

You squalled like a mashed cat about your posts being deleted when you knew they were breaking the rules of the forum.Will you ever learn that your opinion on any given detector is just that an opinion good bad or otherwise and not the proof of what a machine is capable of in other folks hands.

Fire away all Tom will let you as I have posted my opinion of your actions and read your posts that formed my opinions and will not be replying any more.
March 24, 2012 02:09PM
I normally dont say enough to get kicked off any site.... well except an Ind. detecting club i thought i was in good standing with. There is a balancing act for the owners between keeping sponsors or members. But the sponsors should expect some critisiam when they arent doing a service and not be allowed to be protected. How the heck do they know how we feel or what we want with some ability to compare or complain. Some take it to far..... but thats human nature. They have the ability to end the thread and send a PM to the person with out a ban. Hey.... but its their house.

Dew
March 24, 2012 03:01PM
silverhound Wrote:
> Fire away all Tom will let you as I have posted
> my opinion of your actions and read your posts
> that formed my opinions and will not be replying
> any more.

No need to disrespect Tom's kindness by making such an arrogant comment.

dewcon4414 Wrote:
> But the sponsors should
> expect some critisiam when they arent doing a
> service and not be allowed to be protected.

But the sponsors PAY to be there... you do not. Big difference. smiling smiley