Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I can run sensitivity at 10 on the CZ-3D...

Posted by pulltabMiner 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I can run sensitivity at 10 on the CZ-3D...
March 27, 2012 01:26PM
Around my city, I ground balance anywhere from 3 to 4 using the pinpoint method. This morning, just to see what would happen, I turned the sensitivity all the way to 10 and the CZ-3D remained stable. I mean, hardly any false signals at all. Also, I have opted to open it all the way up because I find it very useful to see (hear) the iron. Oh, and I run on Enhanced mode always.

My question is, am I gaining anything by running the sensitivity at max?

Another question, unrelated to the first is: when there is a piece of gold under the coil and I am running on Enhanced mode, where will the needle land? foil? tab? zinc? coin? all of the above?

Thanks!!

Pinpoint twice, dig once
Re: I can run sensitivity at 10 on the CZ-3D...
March 27, 2012 01:45PM
I will let Tom answer the first question as he has the ability to explain but I have a CZ6A which I can also run at 10 sens. and keep a stable unit and it is probably the deepest CZ I have ever had and over the years used every CZ model ever made and used quite a bit of different CZ's..

Answer to your second question all of the above plus as a large 10 kt gold college type ring could come in as a high coin and a small gold chain as iron.

Personally I think running at 10 sens. in my case is the way to go as doesn't seem to be much difference in depth from a sens. of 6 but I get a large object audio tone now and then when running in 10 and never in 6 which was the norm for the deep CZ's I had that I was only able to run at 5-6 but according to Tom CZ's max out at depth at the lower number so would be speculation on my part to tell you which way to run and think its time for you to do some depth testing at various sens. settings in your neck of the woods with your unit..
March 27, 2012 02:34PM
Thank you Dan,

I was advised by Tom to run the unit at sensitivity 4.x for maximum depth but of course, that left me confused as to why the sensitivity dial goes to 10. I'm guessing there is a correlation between the ground balance setting and the sensitivity setting and seeing how I ground balance at 3 at some parks I wondered if I was gaining depth.

So, if I understand correctly, there is a point of diminishing returns and that point, in regards to sensitivity setting and depth, is a sensitivity setting between 4 and 5.

So after that, I gain audio sensitivity but not depth?

I am paying very close attention at the depths at which I am finding stuff. Unfortunately, 99% of the really deep stuff (11+ inches) have been rusty nails. LOL!

Last, some gold will sound as iron?! Oh man! there is just no getting away from digging that stuff is there? LOL!!

Pinpoint twice, dig once
March 27, 2012 03:21PM
Rusty nails....make sure target repeats from at least two directions and a 12 inch silver dime you may have to work to get it to repeat from two directions, iron usually covers more ground audio wise, if you dig a plug and pinpoint seems to move its usually a nail and finally to a trained ear a silver coin will usually have a more mellow tone.

Use the bobbing method to ground balance as in most case its more accurate and equates to more depth and stability...make sure audio and sens. are at 10 when balancing so you can hear the threshold changes better and then change back to your specs when balanced.

With the complexity of tuning methods a CZ3D usually hits peak depth at a hair under five and a conventional CZ 5 or 6 but this is with a fine tuned unit and my feeling if you can run higher and keep a stable do so as your unit might not be fine tuned up to Tom's spec's and of course he would have to validate the unit.

Unfortunately due to its make up chain links and smallsize small gold chains are tough to pick up and indeed may come in as iron on any unit.

Last but not least might do some testing rel a setting of 4-5 sens versus a sens of 10 to see what gives you better depth.

Personally a CZ sens. wise is supposed to work as Tom stated and we may have two CZ's on steroids and whether that helps or hinders is the question and again I feel the CZ6A I have right now is perhaps the deepest one I have ever owned but whether this unit is more easily masked I don't have a prayer but I sure am not going to send it in to find out.
March 28, 2012 01:41AM
On the analog CZ platform............ a Sens setting of '5' (or just under)............ you will achieve maximum depth and minimum width (including minimum falsing on actual targets). When Sens is at 10....... you ascertain the same max depth...... but now ... maximum footprint 'width'.

If you set Sens on '5' and are in ID mode...... you are at max depth. If you keep Sens on '5'..... and switch over to auto-tune/all-metal........... your depth will be substantially less. NOW you need to adjust your Sens up to '10' in order to gain back what was lost whilst switching over to the all-metal mode. The is the primary justification for having the ability to adjust the Sens up to 10.

Sometimes heavily mineralized dirt will cause the Sensitivity parameters to be altered whilst in ID mode.
March 28, 2012 01:48AM
Thank you Tom!

No more questions from the peanut gallery today smiling smiley

Pinpoint twice, dig once
March 28, 2012 04:14AM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but when or why would we use 'all metal' on the CZ3D? Never really understood that.
March 28, 2012 09:52AM
I just use it to ground ballance.
March 28, 2012 12:11PM
1. In bad mineralization....... seeking to find deep targets (but certainly not in nail-infested areas).

2. Wet salt beach.
March 28, 2012 01:13PM
Inquiring minds would like to know running sens. at 10 instead of 5 do you get greater depth and less footprint or vice versa or somewhere in between as a tad confused on this sens. thing...Always one more question from the peanut gallery I guess......

In general Tom if you hunted with either of these two units would you hunt with sens in the 4-5 range or 10 and last but not least (why)
March 28, 2012 08:22PM
Dan,

I think Tom answered it and I pretty much found the same thing with all 4 of my CZ's ( the two CZ6a's, the CZ3D and the CZ20 I have).

Running at sensitivity 4.5-5 gives me the same depth as sensitivity at 9-10 range in discriminate mode. The only difference I have found is that the coil becomes more sensitive at the edges. But in all the test targets I have in my yard, as well as testing in the field by switching from the 4.5-5 range ( where I always have it set ) to 9-10 range, there was no difference in depth nor target sound.

I do know my CZ6a's will false more in the 9-10 sensitivity range and will be more 'in tune' with iron, so I run in the 4.5-5 range and have less falsing and for me, no adverse effects depth wise.

Remember....this is in DISCRIMINATE mode.
March 28, 2012 10:00PM
Since this is a newly acquired CZ and honestly never had a CZ that I could run more than 6 sens.while having a stable unit did some testing today and have to agree with Therover...Short hunt today of two hours in an old beat park one hour with sens. at 6 and one hour with sens. at 10....almost identical results with each getting a 10-11 inch wheatie, deep quarter and dime from the 70's. Biggest difference was at 10 got twice as many of the high tone nail to the side of hole with it and actually dug a nail each way just to satisfy that indeed it was one of those blasted rusty nails...Guess hunting a large field 10 sens. would give me more coverage but with more risk of masking and about the same depth. Also did an air test in both and got a clad dime at roughly a foot so got me a deep CZ in any case...