Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Oh Yea But Can Your Detector Do This ?

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Oh Yea But Can Your Detector Do This ?
March 30, 2012 12:49AM
I 've been hitting a local park recently that has tough EMI. I have managed to successfully hunt by monitoring and adjusting my sens when required and it's starting to pay off in enough late 60's through now clad to pay for about a week of parking at the beach....about $40.00 ...whahoo.

Anyway, while I was hunting today, I was again as usual paying special attention and listening closely to the CZ3D tones and I've been able to for quite some time believe it or not, tell if the pennies are "Zinc Stink'n Lincolns" or copper simply by listening. The amount of sweep and duration will give you the first indication if that high coin tone is a quarter or a penny and pennies seem to have a slightly more sharp defined report at the beginning and at the end of the tone vs a quarter.
Zinc pennies that have any bubbles in them where they have corroded will have a scratchy report at the beginning or the end or both ends of the tone. Its subtle but its always there, you'll hear it. The slight buzz instead of a reverberated tick is always a corroded zinc penny and the corrosion is always heard when its closest to the coins rim. Coins that are missing part of the rim will often sound like scratchy pull tabs and will bounce between the high coin tone with the buzzy report and square tab with a distorted ending. If they are missing part of the rim they will also sometimes simply sound off with an short exaggerated distorted buzz at the end of the tone.

Anyone else experience this or anything similar with nails or other targets with their detectors and not just with the CZ3D ?
Re: Oh Yea But Can Your Detector Do This ?
March 30, 2012 10:31AM
I wish I could hear the differences. I have good headphones (GGU) but my eardrums have taken a pounding over the years. Not much I can do to remedy that.
March 30, 2012 12:48PM
Yes.

But.......... be careful. A green patina (somewhat corroded) Indian Head penny (that is shallow) can cause this audio response........ or a small fleck of rust over the top of a silver or copper coin can also cause this.
March 30, 2012 01:17PM
Its called an educated ear and many longtime users of one unit will pick up small nuances especially with older Tesoro's and gold rings versus trash. Come to think of it the older Sov's and a silver coin just gave that mellow tone and am sure each detectorists has his own way of telling. Talked to more than one fellow that hunted in the late 70's and 80's and no meter could actually tell what they were digging before they did or at least had a good idea. Over the years I think all the bells and whistles, graphs, multi tones somewhere along the way nuances became less or perhaps we depended on the aforementioned improvements and failed to listen for them. My advice if a target just sounds different, hits harder or whatever go for it as I always remember the giant college gold ring that almost blew my ears off and the list goes on. Actually thought of starting a nuance thread but just as the fisherman that is pulling in fish after fish will not reveal his bait imagine many Detectorists are not willing to share or perhaps well he can't put it into words. Whoops left out gut feeling and the list goes on...My advice learn you unit well and experiment and perhaps a nuance will come your way.
March 31, 2012 01:57PM
A piece of cake with my E-Trac. Zinc verses copper pennies are no contest.But as Tom stated a badly corroded Indian can sound and ID similar to a Zinc penny.Knowing a site and use of depth meter can help a lot and most Indians have a more solid sound than the nasty Zincs.