Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Spring is here

Posted by mcgov51 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Spring is here
April 04, 2012 01:47AM
Heading for the beach ( 10 miles long X 100 yds. from dunes to waters edge ) in two weeks for a few days.
That's a lot of sand . . . So much to see, experience and adjust for . . .

The 300+ hours I have spent learning my machine all leads up to this trip. I hope I can at least see some kind
of promise for my future in MD'g by finding something worth while at a depth beyond what a stud finder can do.

Honestly, I'm not getting enough reward for the time, effort, expense involved with dirt hunting . . . 3 - 6" shallow
clad only and I know there has to be deeper stuff there but . . .

This beach trip seems to be a make-it or break-it type thing for me and the AT Pro with large coil, so we'll see?
My expectations are a near trash free beach, no emi, and dry sand air-test type depths. . . wide open sens.
Wet sand = Pro Mode, <40 GB , 31 disc., all metal, maybe freq. adjust and dig everything 30-90+ that sounds
good . . . or even a blend of good.

Time for some redemption and to see what this hobby is all about and the what the AT Pro is made of.

I will report my finds afterwards . . . THROTTLE UP !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 01:52AM by mcgov51.
Re: Spring is here
April 04, 2012 01:52AM
What State is the beach in?

Dry sand beach hunting can be frustrating. In my experience, expect 50-200 trash targets for every 'good' target.

If you find empty cigarette packs, look inside. I've found money in them.
April 04, 2012 02:12AM
I'm referring to OC, MD.

Trash - Every night they run dump truck type vehicles over the entire beach
and sift the sand free of trash. How deep it actually sifts . . . I don't know but
I will make it a point to find out from one of the drivers during the season.

I am going down during the off-season to avoid any of the crowds and to form
a pre-emptive attack plan.

The beaches have still been walked by many during the off-season.

***Empty cig.packs . . . thx . . . yeah I would have ignored them had you not
metioned it . . . and I smoke. I should have known that? Very good tip !

I'm sure it's going to be a lot different than dirt MD'g.

For the Better . . . I hope?
April 04, 2012 04:25PM
Run disc as low as you can and dig all. Find a good find mark it with an X and work a 10 ft circle around it as similiar articles accumulate depending on weight. Get down on one knee and look for low spots on the tide line. Eat your wheaties as tough walking in the sand and honestly don't know how that unit will handle this type of enviroment....Good luck and keep us tuned in.....
April 04, 2012 05:28PM
Dan - Low disc. THANKS . . . will do . . . hope things are as trash free as I expect.
On dirt I usually run a 31 disc. /Pro Mode / Wide open.
Just not getting enough depth to hit any silver. Tired of looking at shallow 3 - 5" new clad.
Hope the neutral dry sand of the beach can give me a few inches back?
I would be happy to hit a 8" silver junk ring . . . anything?
April 04, 2012 05:28PM
They clean the beach well that is a bummer I would think rings and coins would not be that deep in the sand but get a good sand scoop dig it all and you could get lucky. You may want to try a park or school. some of us with the years of skill in our pocket still have days where our luck runs dry and days where you hear in you head dig hear. Or you are heading back to you car and the last or the first target is a winner. Lots of ways to enjoy this hobby.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 05, 2012 02:02AM
THANKS LowBoy. One ring . . . that's all I ask and let me see some depth for a change.
Parks and schools = I drive a school bus (sports events and field trips only) and get into
a lot of really good hunting places . . . a lot . . . 6 days a week . . . still no silver.

I made a good all plastic hand scoop from an eBay item I bought for $7.50 shp'd. Holds 64 oz . . . . big enough I think.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2012 11:37AM by mcgov51.
April 09, 2012 03:15PM
Just got back after two full days of really hitiing it hard ( 12 hrs. of hunting ).
Results: 3 shallow clad pennies and 2 quarters. All in the 3 - 5" range dropped
recently during the off season.

Big Coil / Pro Mode / Wide open = Very quiet and stable.
Dry Sand = GB 85 Wet Sand = GB 15

Most misc. and foil type trash was on top and visible. Very little in the 1 - 3" range.

The sifting trucks are screening 6 - 8" deep and must be using fine screens.
8" is just about my max. range for my big coil .. . . so

I was only able to hit a few bottle caps beyond 8"

I recall seeing MD's showing up at this beach in the mid-1960's.

Tough Hobby.

Back to the drawing board.
April 09, 2012 11:43PM
Wonder who picks through the screenings...gotta be a gold mine.