Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher GB Pro or Whites GMT,,????

Posted by wurthless 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher GB Pro or Whites GMT,,????
April 09, 2012 05:15PM
I have it narrowed down to these two MD for a dedicated nugget machine here in NorCal,,,, well the TDI is still in the running but that's a PI machine so just wanted a comparrison of VLF here,,,,, I feel I'm missing small gold with the TDI but depth with the VLF's,,,,, Thomas D if you have time I really like your unbiased opinions !!! Thanks !!!
Joe
Re: Fisher GB Pro or Whites GMT,,????
April 09, 2012 05:29PM
I can't speak to the GB Pro but I've had a GMT and it's a very nice machine that's easy to learn with a good community of users willing to help. Another plus for the GMT is you'd be buying from a company with about the best customer service you'll find anywhere.

Joe
April 09, 2012 06:41PM
Soil conditions do (somewhat) dictate; yet, I believe the Gold Bug Pro would be 1st on my list. The feature-set is more usable and friendly....... along with sensitivity performance.
April 10, 2012 04:43AM
well shoot that one for each,,,,,, I'm still undecided,,,,, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Joe
April 10, 2012 05:19AM
I'll be the first to admit Toms advice is based on a lot more research and experience than mine. It wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if you went with his recommendations, I would probably do the same thing.
April 10, 2012 05:26AM
I've had the Gold Bug Pro and TDI. For me, it would all depend on the kind of ground you plan on hunting in...and the size of gold commonly found in your area.

If the ground is really bad...the pulse might be the better way to go.

If the ground is bad but other VLFs can run in it...then the Pro might be the best.

The TDI is NOT sensitive to micro gold. A .36 gram picker nugget will only be detected about 2 inches tops on the TDI....the bigger the target the better the TDI likes it. The Gold Bug Pro was more like 4-5 inches on that same size piece of gold. It is a lot more responsive to the smaller gold....this being with the 11" DD coil...didn't test it with the 5" DD.
April 10, 2012 11:56AM
Im in Calaveras county and used to use gmt,now using gbpro and love it. Finding lots of grain/ subgrain pieces missed by me before with other detectors. Easiest gold machine Ive used,very light,and very good audio. Matter fact,I rarely use headphones with it,which is big when you hunt in rattlesnake infested areas. Go to the Arizona Outback forum, and search for ' trinityau' . He gives great tutorial on it. Good luck
April 11, 2012 06:08AM
thanks gents,,,
April 12, 2012 05:33AM
Well I have a good friend who left Monday for the Sierra's his main machine is a V3I and his backup machine is a GMT which he is going to start this season out with,.last year he went for the nuggets this year,he is looking for the pickers.
Now for myself I prefer the Teknetics G2 I have found 16 rings this year with it and my 1st gold coin, 1852 $1.00 coin I think it was part of a charm or pendant because their is a solder mark on it. And I found it on a Chicago Park that dates back to the 1950's, I also have dug a 1700 King George half cent, I have a test bed at home I can pick up a Silver dime at 7 inches.
Now the G2 is the only machine I use, and I have been using it for just over a year. I plan on using it in the black hills this summer.
April 12, 2012 03:19PM
I have the Etrac for the deep coins,,,,,, now I wanna hunt for nugs,,,, thanks to all for your thoughts,,,,, I actually wnt with the GMT for the higher freq ,,,,, I hate going against Tom's advice makes me feel stupid,, but it just cought my fancy and I was not able to see any other machine,,,love at first sight I guess !!!,,, hope I don not pay the price down the road
Joe
April 12, 2012 07:03PM
I doubt you'll regret it, especially if you really get into nugget shooting. Being able to pick up the really small stuff in a pounded area is a big plus these days. Now all you need is a pick, a nugget scoop and patience. You should also try to get your hands on a copy of "The Complete, Unabridged Zip Zip" by Larry Sallee. I believe Jimmy Sierra carries them on his site. Jimmy's also an excellent source of information on the GMT, not mention a heck of a nice guy.

Good Luck!
April 13, 2012 01:19AM
Gmt is a nice unit....really comes down to learning whatever you pick well,and perserverance
April 13, 2012 01:51AM
thanks for the words of encouragement,,,,, and yes I like Jimmy,,,,, seems like person I could hang with
April 13, 2012 03:05AM
Forgot,go to youtube,jimmy has some excellent gmt videos
April 14, 2012 01:41AM
thanks