Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

For What It's Worth....Omega & 3 Coil test

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: For What It's Worth....Omega & 3 Coil test
April 15, 2012 01:05AM
Low conductors I'm not that worried about nor particularly interested in digging. Most all low conductors for relics would consist of small brass....which would be buttons. And I dare say that 3/4 of the button remains I find today, are just the backs of them. Occasionally I will run into a site and dig some buttons with a nice woodsy brown patina on them and they be in fairly good shape, but most of the places I hunt are farm fields and fertilizer sure eats stuff like that. Those that I find that do have a face to them, are usually not far from falling apart anyway. Bullets, coins, and heavier brass are what we find intact here....things like the J Hooks and such...seem to hold up against the fertilizer better.

I just got through doing a test for Kevin B that I thought I would share with you folks.

I took a .58 minie ball and dug a test hole 12" in red dirt, measured with a tape measure in US inches...not cm lol. I was curious to see if it could get it myself with the 13" DD. Well if the disc is set above 20, it knocks it out. If you go under 20, you can get an iron grunt on it and occasional chirp.

All metal mode = a very nice, sweet and tight signal. One you'd dig in a heart beat if you heard it. It shows as iron and bounces but it's the audio profile of it that would make you want to dig it. 12 inches in red iron dirt is pretty good folks...real good. In all metal mode it could be gotten another inch or two....and if i were to have the "halo" around it...maybe an even stronger signal. This was just me going out and digging a fresh hole and putting the bullet down in the bottom of it. Also note....I can't run my Omega wide open. It goes crazy after you go above 90....this test was conducted running at 89. For whatever reason, running at 90-99 is so chattery it's like being under a power line. It does it with the 10" concentric, the 11" DD, and 13" Ultimate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2012 01:19AM by Daniel Tn.
April 15, 2012 08:26AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found the omega to really like high conductor's
> well...even dug some large brass deep...But I
> found it weak on low conductor's...Freq has alot
> to do with it ...But I also think they wanted us
> to by the G2 also...LOL!!
>
> Dont make a machine to good...It would hurt future
> sell's..
>
> Good report,,
>
> Keith

Well said Keith. I dug quite a few old lead smaller musket balls (300 + years old) and almost every one I thought might have been a coin in iron as it sounded very broken up (Coins in Germany hit all over the conductivity scale). They were often not deep but didn't "hit" well. The E-Trac in comparison hits very well on those same musket balls. But, I didn't miss many of those with the Omega as I went though the same spot with the E-Trac.

Great thread,
Albert
April 16, 2012 11:36AM
Daniel let us know if you get to try the 13 Ultimate on the Gold Bug , i have my eye on that setup.
April 16, 2012 01:37PM
Thanks for the test Daniel. That IS impressive and the all metal mode set up would be what I would use in the woods and fields that I have permission to hunt near a major battle field. Sadly, the site has been pounded to death since the 70's/ The reson I know that is that metal detetcorist found two Confederate soldiers in very shallow graves. They were exhumed and transferred to the US Park, not far away.
On a side note, I did dig a 69 round ball in a field not far away that was at the bottom of my Predator shovel. I was using my Two Tone homemade program with zero disc. It hit that ball with sufficient strength that I was compelled to dig it. And the field is weeds, so my coil wasn't able to scrub the ground. I imagine that the ball was plowed under that deep but it could have sunk in that soil. The soil is in a branch bottom that is of a sandy loam type deal.
I don't doubt that the Omega with that new coil would have hit it in DISC mode. The soil there is not quiet the red iron soil. In fact, in most of the soil, including my yard, the mineralization index on the Deus never rises above half way. (That little graph on the far right of the screen.)
April 16, 2012 07:00PM
I took the Omega for a real world spin today. Every site I went to was over grown. I tried one of them anyway but after fighting waist deep grass I gave it up. I still managed to dig two very deep shotgun shell brass ends. This took me by surprise to be honest with you, even though it was just modern shotgun brass. I remember back when I was running the 1266x and the Bandido II uMax...both are low-mid frequency machines like the Omega. Anyway I remember digging a crapload of shotgun brass with those machines...then once I stepped into the F75 and T2, this count went way down. You would think the upper freq machines would favor the shotgun shell but I never found them to give a good signal on them...thus making them easy to ignore. Well with the Omega....I'm back to digging those 12th GA buttons. lol

Went to another sites after giving up on the high grass, and it was relatively new to me. I had previously hunted it with the eTrac only and dug a couple bullets on it. The grass there was just ankle high in its highest places and still huntable. I hadn't been there long...had two more shotgun shells in my pouch and felt something hit my arm. I looked up and unbeknowngst to me, the sky had brewed up a good thunderstorm on me....and I was at least a quarter mile from the truck in an open field with it starting to rain. I could see the rain band coming across the field on the other side from me and knew I was about to get soaked. I took off fast as my fat self could go but still got soaked by the time I got to the truck. Thus ending my day early. No keepers but I did notice one thing about the Omega with this big coil on it....it not only goes deep....but it is SUPER prone to EMI with it. In both sites I was at, there are powerlines that go across the field....and I couldn't get within 60 yards of the powerlines without the machine motorboating and chattering on me. Frequency shift isn't wide enough to get away from it....so the only way to avoid it was to just not go near the powerlines. This may be a big problem as 90% of my sites are in EMI heavy areas.
April 16, 2012 08:42PM
Nice report Daniel & I laughed at the fat self part getting rained on, but that is what you get for being a good storyteller!

I know it sounds weird but on my E-trac I found the 13" Detech to be better with EMI than the stock! That was indoors if it matters.

The 13" is not good in trash (separates yes, just too many signals) but I noted a great explorer user on Finds, Bryce, said it's betten in iron than the stock coil, for what it's worth.

Albert
November 17, 2012 04:29PM
Test on a small coil 5 "Nel
coil ranges as a standard 10 ". Much better separation
target detected at 8"and 7"

[www.youtube.com]
November 17, 2012 04:48PM
Lots of good info....One question does this DD coil call many rusty bottlecaps a high coin.....Wouldn't be a problem in the boonies where none around but in an area frequented for many years by bottle drinkers it certainly would. Certainly a legitimate question as many of these large DD coils do.
November 17, 2012 05:21PM
DD coil in our conditions sensitive to very thin small silver coins.
November 18, 2012 01:47AM
Daniel, Just curious on how the tesoro tejon would work in your soil.
November 18, 2012 03:09PM
Daniel I am waiting and inquiring minds would like to know...Certainly in a comprehensive test this would be addressed as many large DD coils have an affinity for those blasted rusty bottle caps..Does this 13 inch have an affinity for them....yes or no....I know the stock concentric on the Omega and F5 do hit some of these with the approriate tone but the jumping ID numbers are a dead give away...and basically not a problem...
November 19, 2012 01:37PM
No idea on bottlecaps and the 13 inch coil. Guys I'm not detecting anymore...don't even currently own a detector...haven't had one for almost 4 months now. Spending all my time on archery right now for the upcoming 2013 Pro/Am Tour.

Someone asked about the Tejon in my soil. It depends on which soil. I have several types locally; in some places the Tejon was really great and a button killer (Civil War relics) with the stock coil. And in some places, you were just as likely to find a relic by walking blindly around and deciding to dig a hole as you were by swinging the Tejon hoping it would make a sound on a relic. The ground in some places was just too much for it. With that said, a year or so ago I was able to play with a Tejon with a SEF coil on it...which is a DD design. I noticed a vast improvement with that coil over the stock concentric coil in the bad soil...as far as depth ability went. I would imagine a 13" Ultimate DD coil would be something to see on the Tejon and Vaquero...wouldn't mind trying one but the detector thing just ain't my priority right now.
November 27, 2012 06:31PM
nel 5'' coil air test
sens 99
D4
[www.youtube.com]
November 29, 2012 12:27PM
test for gold jewelry.
[www.youtube.com]