Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

i have a impedance/ohms question

Posted by gravediggermax 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
i have a impedance/ohms question
May 07, 2012 12:22PM
for years i have seen differences, but i have never understood what they were. could someone clear this up for me......headphones

i have 3 sets that i used, my two favorites state this:

1st. set states: sensitivity: 72dB @ 1kHz........impedance - 150 ohms nominal.

my favorite set

2nd set states: impedance 16 ohms nominal.

3rd set is same as 1st.

let me say the phones i hate are the koss ur30's that come with sepro - etc......hate meaning the fit and noise blockage - i do like the tones and comfort, but i have no clue on the impedance or ohms.

what does all that mean to me in what i am hearing?
thanks

<")))))<>(
Re: i have a impedance/ohms question
May 07, 2012 12:58PM
Impedance has very little to do with how they sound, other than the volume. Don't worry about the techy aspects, if you like using them, that's all that matters.
May 07, 2012 08:59PM
Thats not much info on ohms, but , i have here said the higher the better. but, i have here the lower the better, but, still like grave,man i don,t know ship-- about it . Could some explain this to us.
May 07, 2012 10:14PM
Depends upon the detector.
Higher ohms use less power to produce the same sound.
Here you'll find this interesting, I just uploaded it to my homepage for you:
[home.earthlink.net]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
May 08, 2012 01:00AM
Hi,, All of specifications you mentioned are important for the final audio product you will be hearing in your headphones....It's always best to match your headphones with your detector....While sometimes this is a hard feat to accomplish sometimes because the manufacturers seem to leave these specifications out of the manual...There is hope and another alternative method and that is to try some of your friends headphones out and see what strikes your fancy....(((More info)))
Frequency response represents the headphones ability to reproduce audio frequencies. Measured in hertz, the smaller number is the headphones bass response cut-off, while the higher number represents the roll-off of treble reproduction. Put simply, impedance is the headphones electrical resistance to the current being pushed through them. Measured in Ohms, impedance is a factor influenced by the components used in the design of the headphones — high quality headphones that have low electronic interference (hiss) levels usually have high impedance levels as a by-product.The higher the impedance of a set of headphones, the harder your metal detector has to drive them to attain any particular volume. So it uses a tad more battery power..An important advantage of closed headphones is that they allow you to have your metal detectors volume lower than with open headphones — since you're not trying to drown out outside noise — which will preserve your hearing as well as saving a little of your metal detectors battery life. The down side is that closed headphones are often uncomfortable when worn for long periods of time....Hope this answers some of your questions....JJ
Tri
May 08, 2012 02:48AM
Impedence is simply known as alternating current resistance........maximum power is tranferred from tranmitter to receiver.....(output of source) to (input of headphones) for example when their respective impedence matches.

However , lets think about this......I feel safe to say most of us here on this forum are probably older than we would like to admit and......our hearing...well

Just aint what it used to be........and like Tom says.....how do you know what you are missing if you don't know its there ?

So......believe it or not......there are inline pocket headphone amplifier/equalizers that are made to solve the problem most everyone suffers from as they age....

Hearing problems.....sometimes I don't know why manufacturers haven't built equilizers into the metal detectors anyway......So how cool is that ?

You can tailor the sound coming out of your detector then into the pocket sized, battery powered booster equilizer and adjust all those faint sounds up and down on the ones you don't want to hear.....

Check it out.......( [www.bing.com] )

and they're only about $20.00 bucks

Heres something else...... ( [hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu] )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 02:52AM by Tri.
May 08, 2012 03:15AM
Now that is a good start on how these thing work, i guss i will just stay with what i have, because my hearing is going anyway. I am 80 to 90% deaf in each ear, wear aids in ears when detecting but still don,t hear everything turn the phones as high as i can get them and hope for the best. I still do good those wisppers you guys talk about, if it don,t blast the headphones i don,t get it. Well that,s life, i still thank GOD i can still get out there and hunt even if i don,t get it all, i just got a new Fisher F5 and for some reason i cant hear it at all hardly. I guss i will sell it and stay with the CZ6a and MXT i can hear them better. Thanks for the info on headphones. I have a set at 170ohms, and seam to do better with them than any. Thanks Flintstone