Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Composition of coins

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Composition of coins
May 08, 2012 08:16PM
I was reading an article on Coin Worlds web site: [www.coinworld.com] and found it interesting. They have always debated doing away with certain coins or going to a new composition. Do you think they are seriously thinking about using 80+ steel like Canada? What would that do to the penny, nickel, dime and quarter? I also wonder how this will affect collectors and us: Bosco advocated the adoption of a program to recover selected circulating coinage in their current compositions for metal reclamation. Bosco testified that coin recovery and salvage could yield approximately $2 billion in revenue for the Mint. I wonder how this will affect those coins not in circulation until we put them there..... or if they will even take detected coins any more? The last part of this was interesting as well.... thou i thought it was Jefferson who said the reason for making coins costing more to make than their value was to reduce the desire to counterfiet them? Coin World is a little like the NRA of coin collection.

Dew
Re: Composition of coins
May 08, 2012 08:32PM
I think steel coins will one day be made in America. Maybe not in the near future, but someday. What I would love to see is the dollar coin replace the bill. Then we dig to make some money.
May 08, 2012 09:04PM
Goodmore maybe you ought to move to Canada....My daughter had lasic surgery years ago at half the price of U.S. years ago and we made a mini vacation out of it...

Loonies and Twoonies sure add up and before you know dealing on the economy had a pocketfull of coins and was suspender time...

I like the way they color code their bills but have to admit some strange looking dudes on them....

Before you say trust your eyes out of U.S. heck 10 years later her eyes are fine 20-20....no glasses and contacts to mess with...
May 08, 2012 09:44PM
Love those Canadian clad coins, most detectors hate them.
Id numbers bounce, disc out iron and you'll no longer find many of them, particularly those on edge. Mult-tione machines give those on edge a low tone. One way signals maybe a dime or nickel.
Spits and spudders normally considered junk maybe a clad coin.
People here lose Loons and Toons like US folks lose quarters.
Best of all, most clad comes out of the ground clean, even after 10 years of burial. You can go right out and spend them after the hunt.

If you come up here clad hunting, it's a whole new learning experience. So if you get skunked, tell me where you went, I'll go over the same area and show you what you left behind...LOL

The Fisher F5, Edge, ID machines do a really decent job on the clad. The Edge is a clad magnet with the 6" coil.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
May 08, 2012 11:27PM
Just makes you wonder what coins down the line are going to be removed and worth collecting NOW. Im with you i was in Germany when they had Marks .... 1, 5, 10, and 20 now if we had that it would be a PAYDAY people would be all over the place buying detectors. I found 2 of the President dollars and an American EAgle silver dollar recently.

Dew