Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My F75 often IDs deep pulltabs as high conductors

Posted by ziphius 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My F75 often IDs deep pulltabs as high conductors
March 13, 2009 05:50PM
By deep, I mean deeper than 6 inches. Often, they are small pieces of beavertail or modern pulltab. They will ID in the high 70s to low 80s, until I pull them out of the hole, then they ID as a mid-tone in the 40s to 50s. Sometimes, I can predict it is a pulltab by swinging over the target from different angles and a pulltab/beavertail will fall back into a mid-tone range on one or more of the swings. But not often enough to eliminate the annoyance of getting fooled. Anyone else run into this and come up with any solutions? The Explorer crowd says this isn't a problem at all.

Jim
Re: My F75 often IDs deep pulltabs as high conductors
March 14, 2009 01:07PM
In close proximity to iron (usually decomposed)... this is somewhat common. I encounter this problem in the 8" - 11" range in Florida..... but once again, the tab must be close to decomposed iron to encounter this 'up-averaging'.
March 18, 2009 03:58PM
Tom,

This happens with most of the older beavertail pulltabs, even in the absence of iron. I guess if it is 'decomposed' iron, as you say, I wouldn't really be able to see it well. Still, I have a hard time believing that there is that much iron at this particular turf park where I'm experiencing this. One helpful thing I realized is to rotate the coil over these "high-conductor pulltabs" and if the target falls back into the mid-tone range, it is almost always a pulltab. But not all the time. Maybe my sensitivity is cranked high enough (85) where the machine thinks a pulltab is the ENTIRE soda can!

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2009 09:22PM by ziphius.
March 19, 2009 01:13PM
Jim,

Next time this happens..... AFTER you remove the deep pull-tab, , , place the F75 in 'JE' mode, Sens '99', Disc '0' and '4' tone mode option. THEN SEE if the detector reports any iron over the excavated pile of dirt and subsequent hole. This should START to give clues .. if there are any tiny iron flecks in the concerned soil.