Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

what detector should i buy help me out

Posted by tfo pana il 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
what detector should i buy help me out
May 13, 2012 07:12PM
thank you all for your info im going to buy the explorer se pro

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 12:32AM by tfo pana il.
Re: what detector should i buy help me out
May 13, 2012 07:31PM
HI tfo pana il:

If this is to be your first detector, your choices might be a bit overkill. All of the three you mentioned seem to be great detectors, but from my readings, all of them will require you to spend a lot of time to learn them well. It's easy to get discouraged with a detector that's designed with a lot of power and choices. I tried a Fisher F5 after using several detectors and I just could not wrap my head around it. It was probably a good detector, it just had too many knobs to keep up with and I never really knew if I had it set correctly for what and where I was hunting or not.

You might want to try something along the lines of an AT Pro by Garrett or one of the easier to get along with Fishers. I think the older CZ models by Fisher are one of the best and easiest detectors to set up, ... but they do like iron. That's not to say that many of the detectors like iron, it's just that to get the most out of a CZ, you almost have to use 0 discrimination and listen to the iron in the mix to determine if it's a good target or a rusty nail trying to sound like a good target. This would not be a problem if there is little iron in the area you are detecting, but old home sites and such are litterly littered with nails from structors being torn down and such. These areas are a nightmare to detect even with many of the modern detectors, much less the CZ's.

I would suggest finding some people with detectors and try them out. See if you can locate a metal detector club and become a member, mingle around and try out a few of the guys and gals detectors to see what works for you. If you feel a bit awkward just walking around asking to try their detector out, pick up a really cheap piece of junk for 10 or 20 dollars somewhere and carry it with you. The other people will probably feel sorry for you and want to show you what a "real" detector is like :-)
May 13, 2012 07:39PM
If your after silver coins I would go with the E-trac. It is about the best silver coin cherry picker out there at this time.
May 13, 2012 10:57PM
You didnt give enough info....clad in parks,etc....tesero compadre or silver will clean up. Deeeep turf silver in old parks,homesites....any minelab bbs or fbs. Irony sites....
May 14, 2012 12:54AM
8 posts in two years? You sure like to take your time making a decision.

Used E Tracs will be going cheap very soon because of the new Minelab detector.
If I was to get an F75 I would ask Tom about the one he has for sale.
May 14, 2012 12:55AM
Silver or clad in parks

ETRAC
EXPLORER
FISHER CZ
TEK OMEGA
GARRETT AT PRO
May 14, 2012 01:04AM
Ill add soveteign to Tmanly list
May 14, 2012 01:10AM
I use the SE, but.... i have to say the AT Pro for the price is a great starter machine. You are hunting coins now.... but what if you get the itch to jump in the creek. True you will loose some of the deeper coins but you will still be in a depth range to do well and can hunt in the rain. Plus i believe its lighter to swing. IF this is a replacement machine and you have been at it for awhile and upgrading..... everyones comments are right... silver go with the ET over the SE just because of the learning curve and a little better TID.

Dew