Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom's First Gold

Posted by glenn63 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom's First Gold
March 30, 2009 06:33PM
COIN THAT IS!
At 1302 yesterday afternoon I saw Tom dig his 1st gold coin.
Great job Tom. Looking forward to more F-75 training!
[www.thetreasuredepot.com]
Re: Tom's First Gold
March 31, 2009 01:03AM
WOW... that is too sweet!!! Congrats Tom! Just curious... how deep was it?
March 31, 2009 02:49AM
Man I need to find Gold I have been dreaming of that gold coin for ten years now. Great find Tom!

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 31, 2009 05:55AM
It was a tab reading at 5".
Basically a "cherry picker" as Tom described it.
Hopefully he will chime in after what he found really sinks in.
I was numb the rest of the day so I can only imagine how he was feeling.

Glenn
March 31, 2009 10:14PM
Certainly the highlight of my entire detecting career..... thus far. I have a $13,500.00 diamond earring (appraised 7 years ago) that means virtually nothing to me..... as compared to this correct-era/period gold coin. It's priceless. It was approx 5" deep.....in a ploughed/turned field.... and was a positive non-ferrous target for over 70% of body rotation around the target whilst sweeping target..... with the VDI showing between 21 - 57. There was approx 30% of body rotation around the target that registered as iron. Upon flipping the plug...... I removed half of a cut square-nail. Then I swept the plug..... in which the VDI was locking on to 39 - 41. I was nearly certain that I had another 'A' Artillery cuff button from 3rd Seminole Indian war..... or another 20Ga shotgun shell. The first micro-second of seeing the coin..... I knew it was a gold coin instantly.... and thought it was a Cuban Doubloon..... as one gold doubloon = 1 cow (Cattle trading). This was a large industry in the 1870's here in FLA. I'm still in a euphoric surreal 'shock' status. Been detecting approx 37 years...... and finally got one. I surmise to say that if I lived in the New England States..... I would be finding (on average).... two gold coins every year.

Glenn, yes, the dual-headphone F75 training is paramount. If the critical skill-set is not imparted in short order, most folks will e-bay the F75 enmass..... as already witnessed. I should have started you with a MUCH more sensible (tame) 'initial' setting; say: Sens 70, Disc '6', 4-tone. BUT, since I wanted you to see/hear/witness just exactly how I hunt......... and just exactly what I listen for.......I utilized max settings..........then, it then becomes YOUR turn to find a gold coin! You may regret purchasing the F75 ...... on your next one or two hunts. Then,,,,,,,, it'll start to sink in deeply..... and a greater sense of appreciation will ensue.

Tom
Kas
March 31, 2009 11:16PM
WTG Tom. It had to happen.

You're one behind me. Keep hunting that field. Might be a few more turned under.

Ken
April 01, 2009 01:59AM
Hey Tom,
Nice going. Now keep that spot in mind. I'll be right over in about 20 minutes! Heck, I'm still looking for a silver dollar let alone a gold coin. I keep telling myself it's chasing the dream is all that really counts!!! Yeah....right.

Wally
April 01, 2009 04:19AM
Congratulations on the Gold Coin.I figured you'd have found some Spanish Gold coins on Melbourne Beach after bad storms with a CZ20.You did your "homework"(research) you earned this coin.Bill
April 01, 2009 02:34PM
Fantastic, once in a lifetime find.
Did I miss it but what machine was you using?
April 01, 2009 03:37PM
And exactly what type of coin was it?
1843 O 2 1/2 Dollar Quarter Eagle
April 01, 2009 06:27PM
A pic is available at the top of this thread. You need to click the treasure depot link.

Glenn
April 01, 2009 08:07PM
Nice one Tom! Congratulations after all these years! Only 364,000 minted.
April 01, 2009 10:22PM
Thanks guys. Yes, very low mintage. Found it with F75.
April 02, 2009 01:26AM
Congrats Tom! I was watching my video I got from you yesterday one more time before donating it as a prize for a club hunt and of all of the good info on it, what really grabbed me was the genuine smile on every recovery. I can just picture you w/ this one!!!
April 02, 2009 05:07AM
Congrats, Tom! Sweet payoff for all the years of dedicated laser-like focus you have on this hobby -with much more to come!
April 02, 2009 12:58PM
I'm going back to the same spot again..... in just a few days.... and try again, , , this time I will hunt 90Deg different from the first time I hunted this field. This particular field has produced plenty of Half-Dimes and the Quarter Eagle. If only to find one more period/era coin. I'm sure the 2-1/2D QE belonged to an Army Officer......... as the enlisted folks were paid in specie payments of silver.... for this era.
April 02, 2009 04:32PM
man oh man tom that is one fine ticket for sure.

we all hope to find one of these one day, i bet the thrill was amazing. can u still feel it?
April 03, 2009 12:45PM
Still seems like it's just a dream.