Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Thanks Tom must read

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Thanks Tom must read
April 02, 2009 12:25PM
Got out for a while yesterday afternoon.
After watching the video twice I had decided to change some of my hunting procedures. I used the wide sweep for one and the rotating around the target technique. I had been hunting for about an hour when I got a very good repeatable high tone. As I sweep over the target I would often get a low iron bleep. Rotating around the target gave me more high than low tones so I decided to dig. After digging a rather large plug "about 12" in diameter and 7" deep I flipped the plug out and to my surprise the signal was gone. Nothing but an occational grunt from the plug and silence in the hole. I proceeded to break the plug apart and out came a bent 4" nail. Now I began to recall the DVD, yes there has to be something else in the plug. After carefully breaking open the rest of the plug I found an additional quarter and dime. These had been partly masked by the nail which was deeper than the coins.
Thanks again for the DVD, Tom.
Re: Thanks Tom must read
April 02, 2009 12:45PM
You are welcome. When you are rotating your body around the target whilst continuing to sweep......... and the tones are bouncing high-to-low and low-to-high, , , it is not a guarantee that it is just simply a rusty nail or 90Deg bent nail; rather, it may be (and in your case) = a nail and a coin. One of the clues BEFORE you dig..... is "how sharp is the high tone audio". If the high tone sounds too 'washed out' (not sharp) during the entire process of rotating your body around the target......... it's probably only a nail. THIS TAKES SOME PRACTICE.... AND ATTENTION-TO-DETAIL. It is very important to learn this skill..... as most targets in the ground are NOT single/solo targets. The advent of the "elliptical" DD coil with its extremely tight/narrow electromagnetic footprint is a leap in technology that helps combat this type of 'adjacent target separation failure' problem that is the 'norm' condition of the real world. Although it may have downfalls...... its attributes far outweigh its downfalls.
Kas
Re: Thanks Tom must read
April 03, 2009 01:54AM
To add one point.

If you receive this type of tone you speak of, when you pin-point watch to see that the center of the tone is different than the pin-point area. Often if not always, the tip of a nail will tone high, and you'll pin-point on the body of the nail which will not be in the same spot as the high tone signal.

With practice you'll find that the high tone won't sound right, and you'll know it's a nail.
Good Luck, Ken