Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

10 million pound coin hoard found in Jersey !

Posted by diggers 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
10 million pound coin hoard found in Jersey !
June 26, 2012 09:29AM
Re: 10 million pound coin hoard found in Jersey !
June 26, 2012 09:31AM
The exact number of coins found has not been established, but archaeologists said the hoard weighed about three quarters of a tonne and could contain about 50,000 coins.
June 26, 2012 10:26AM
Had fingers crossed it was New Jersey, U.S.
Glad it was recovered and hope the Queen is generous.
June 26, 2012 01:15PM
Love it!

Yes....... let's hope the right thing (action) is done.... by the Queen.
June 26, 2012 02:49PM
the Romans must have left in a hurry to leave 3/4 ton of bullion behind, the empire was collapsing all over .
jersey has its own strange laws so who will get the reward i dunno....more later
June 26, 2012 03:11PM
I thought in the UK (or is it just England) that the government gives you 100% fair value ID'd by an independant person or the like???
So, I don't understand the "belongs to the Queen". Physically yes but monetarily know. The first video touched on this.
June 26, 2012 05:08PM
They are Celtic coins, not Roman. The Celts were the original tribal inhabitants of England and France, with their own distinct coin types. These coins may have been hidden from the Roman invaders. Here's some Celtic coin examples, detector-found:
[www.ukdfd.co.uk]
June 26, 2012 07:07PM
It'd be a shame if it "goes to the queen" as said in the article. All that money would be little more than a blip on the government's radar and wouldn't change a thing. That kind of wealth could do so much more *potential* good in private hands is the way I look at it.
June 27, 2012 08:24AM
it ll end up in a museum for sure but who pays for it is the big question.
10 mill is a big deal for the cash strapped UK gumment at the moment .
the national art collections fund normally coordinates the purchase of such items but that might stretch their resources..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2012 08:35AM by diggers.
June 27, 2012 09:00AM
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

good photos here
June 27, 2012 02:06PM
looks like the whites TM808 wins the prize for finding a deep target ,looks about 5 feet deep that hole
June 27, 2012 04:27PM
Dang!!
June 27, 2012 09:01PM
Once again........... PRICELESS! I'm glad a lot of it was captured on video. Dreams DO come true!
June 28, 2012 02:27PM
it looks like 2 hoards, first a Roman hoard then a celtic hoard , the first hoard spurred them on
and then the whites found the deeper hit of coins encased in clay.
June 28, 2012 03:10PM
A friend of mine goes to England a couple of times per year to hunt. They are organized hunts, and everything that they find gets turned over to an agent. That agent cleans all of the coins and anything that has historic value is turned over to the museum.
The museum assesses the value, and if they want to keep it they give you a % of the value(can't remember what it is). If they don't want it you get to keep it. Everything you find is recorded, and the stuff you get to keep comes with papers so you can get it
through custom's. I may have the details a little mixed up, but you get the basic idea.
One of the people that he hunts with found a gold figurine that I think was valued at 30.000, and I think he got 10,000, but don't quote me on that. My friend goes over for two weeks, and he says they hunt every day rain or shine from dawn till dusk.
He says it takes him about a month to recover when he get's back.

Imagine finding coins that are 2000 years old. Wow!!
June 28, 2012 04:29PM
i used to have a TM808 but its a bit dated and clumsy to use all the time.
i would like a deepseeker in my arsenal but whats on offer doesn't float my boat.

the fisher and whites could do with an upgrade to lighten them and update the electronics IMO/
maybe XP will do one
June 29, 2012 04:27PM
one things for sure those who did the burying of the coins never came back to collect, nor did their ancestors.
so did they lose the spot where they buried them ,or did they all get wiped out?
they could have returned some years later to find that they couldn't remember where they buried them.
or they all got sliced and diced and there was no offspring with the details.....
June 30, 2012 06:17PM
Great Find...

And I would love to go to England for at least 6 months of non-stop hunting...

I have thougth of taking a leave of absence and heading over.

It would be the ultimate sabbatical for me!

Keith
June 30, 2012 09:01PM
Just be careful with who you set up your detecting trips with. I won't name names, but one popular company who arranges trips have been accused of planting finds for people at the same few fields they take them to hunt every year. Sure, some are nice finds but they aren't worth that much. Obviously they wouldn't be since they have to make a profit from your trip, but they do use part of the money to re-seed their fields with some low quality finds in terms of value. I know several local guys who have talked about this and got wise to it after either going on trips or hearing about trips of friends of theirs for years. Always the same "great" finds of no real value, or at least not worth the cost of the trip. Sure, some trips great treasures are found, but that's just luck of the draw, or they are going with a more legit company who actually takes people to fields that haven't been pounded on for the last 40 years.
July 01, 2012 02:53AM
Critterhunter

that's exactly right . You have to do your research and find the right agent. My friend says all of the fields they hunt are old finds. He says the coins and relics come out of the ground totally encrusted, and you can hardly tell what they are
until they're cleaned. sound like if you get lined up with the right group, it would be a whole lot of fun.
I've been thinking of going to Alaska on one of the gold nugget hunts, but after listening to my friend(who I just met) sound like going to England and the chance of finding an old gold coin would be quit a thrill.

Cheers
July 01, 2012 10:13AM
you need to time it just right if going to the UK as fields are ploughed in certain months and in crop so you cant detect at all.
finding permission from farmers is not easy at all. (thus illegal night hawks go out at night )
locals have a hard time getting permission.
getting a tour from a club is usefull if you get friendly with some guys, but beware the paid trips from clubs that strangely produce remarkable finds for US customers *seeded+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2012 10:18AM by diggers.
July 01, 2012 02:41PM
its amazing to think that the boundary hedge where the hoard was found has been in the same place for around 2000 years !
you don't go into the middle of a field to bury a hoard but somewhere discrete and out of sight .
July 02, 2012 01:06AM
But what were the topographics there 2000 years ago?
July 02, 2012 03:20PM
you would have to go thru the domesday book from 1085 to be sure ...

[www.domesdaybook.co.uk]
July 02, 2012 03:23PM
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

some more news on the find.

8 coin hoards have been found on jersey plus this latest
July 03, 2012 03:28PM
hoards found include the 1st in 1785, then 1802 ,then 1820 ,then 1875 ,then 1883 ,then 1935 ,then 1957 , then 1959 and the latest hoard.
only the last was found with a detector.all the others were found by accident .the earlier hoards added up to 20,000 coins.no doubt more are yet to be found
July 04, 2012 04:11PM
another piccy here

[www.thisisjersey.com]
July 06, 2012 12:45PM
gold and silver items are being found amongst the coin hoard

[jersey.isle-news.com]

Experts working on a record hoard of Celtic coins found in Jersey last month have discovered personal items made from gold and silver.

It is estimated that the hoard contains between 30-50,000 coins and weighs approximately ¾ of a ton.

They are currently in one solid mass and painstaking work is being undertaken to evaluate what else exists within the find. As the earth around the metal is removed, a number of items have been exposed that indicate the find may include items other than coins, made from precious metals such as silver and gold.

Neil Mahrer, Conservator with Jersey Heritage says: ‘The work we are carrying out is very methodical and controlled but we are making steady progress with uncovering its mysteries. As we unravel the story behind the hoard we are beginning to make some very exciting discoveries. We are working with experts in the Channel Islands and in London to identify the objects we have found and build a clearer picture of what we have.’

The ancient coins and other items, known to be more than 2,000 years old, were discovered after more than 30 years’ searching by Reg Mead and Richard Miles, using sophisticated metal detecting equipment in a field in the Jersey parish of Grouville.

The coins are of Armorican origin (modern day Brittany and Normandy) from a tribe called the Coriosolitae, who were based around Rance in the area of modern-day St Malo and Dinan. They are thought to date from the year 50BC (Late Iron Age). At this time the armies of Julius Caesar were advancing north-westwards through France, driving the tribal communities towards the coast. Some of them would have crossed the sea to Jersey, finding a safe place of refuge away from Caesar’s campaigns. The only safe way to store their wealth was to bury it in a secret place.

Curator of Archaeology Olga Finch says: ‘It is still very early to tell exactly what is in the find but we do know it is remarkable from a historical perspective. There has been an incredible amount of media and academic interest in the find and it is very important that the whole project, from excavation to when it finally goes on public display, is thoroughly documented. We have worked closely with our colleagues at the Société Jersiaise to ensure the excavation was properly recorded and now, with assistance from experts in this period of history, we are carefully building a record of the conservation process.’

As the find contains objects of precious metal, it has been reported to HM Receiver General who will liaise closely with Jersey Heritage to determine the status of the hoard.
August 03, 2012 01:47PM
theres a full article in this months UK searcher magazine with the finders and they say they were using a G mask3 ,tesoro tejon and the machine that cracked it was a C-scope deepseaker .i presume this is the Cs4zx model .
jrk
August 03, 2012 02:51PM
Diggers,
I'm currious being the newby on this site and hobby, what type of machine is the latter you mention? PI? Rather old?

I googled, but found ambiguous results, or I'm not experienced enough to know.

Thanks,
Randy