Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

10.5" CZ coil help

Posted by Robert 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
10.5" CZ coil help
September 07, 2012 04:52PM
I heard the 10.5" coil is not too popular and is heavy. I'm used to hunting with a larger coil than 8". If the 10.5 offeres a depth gain I would like to try one if I can find one.

So could I get a couple of opinions on the coil?
Re: 10.5" CZ coil help
September 07, 2012 05:57PM
The coil is heavy, but all things are relative. It does carry an optimal search and volume level, so you will cover more ground deep and wide. How you manage swinging it is something you can learn by doing. I find I can hunt for a few hours with it unless I am already fatigued. I hunt until I get tired, take a short break and then go on with a smaller coil or another lighter machine. My opinion is its not that bad, but not everyone can manage or would benefit from it. If coverage is an issue or a couple of inches more depth may be worth it to you then by all means pick one up. You should find one in the $80 - $130 range used to new.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
September 07, 2012 07:21PM
I use mine for open ground and beaches only, target seperation falls off quite a bit compared to the 8". Too much target info coming through(for my brain) when using it in iron . While it is heavier than the stock coil, it is not enough to keep me from using it when conditions dictate. I really don't have enough experience with it too say it's deeper than the 8", but it is at least as deep(10-12" on coin size targets). I also have my control head hip mounted which doesn't help since there is no counter balance.
Coil size myths by Tom
September 07, 2012 10:06PM
Robert,
You need to read Tom's article, "Coil Size Myths" in the 5th edition of Fisher Intelligence which can be found on this site. I think it will help you and everyone else out a lot that reads it.

Larry

Larry from www.nwimetaldetectors.com
Re: Coil size myths by Tom
September 07, 2012 10:33PM
I've read the article, actually I've read all of them. I understand separation BUT my main issue would be depth. Covering fields coverage would be nice. Tom said my unit doesn't get the depth the1021 units do, so I would like the option to get a little deeper when I need it. Hence the question is it actually deeper?
September 08, 2012 12:37AM
My 1021 CZ-3D (Tom tuned) and my son's FT CZ-3D (Tom tuned) each get just over 1" depth improvement using the 10.5" coils over the 8" coils. The Sunray FZ-12 gets 2" over the 8" coil.
This is in our eastern Nebraska soil.
September 08, 2012 07:58PM
When I got my CZ6a, it came with a smaller coil and also the 8 inch coil .....Unless you are hunting on a beach as " Beach" said , I don't really see the need for the larger coil ..... When covering a larger area that has little trash, it works out well ....Jim
September 08, 2012 09:02PM
Yep you are right. Ball fields and corn fields also are pretty trash free and big. You can walk quite a ways without a signal.

Tom, besides more coverage is there a depth gain in cleaner ground? If not I guess I can use one of my other detectors for the large areas.
September 08, 2012 10:49PM
As others are saying, the 10.5 is best for open field/ low junk environments. I did find that the comparison chart listed by this gentleman was helpful to give a relative difference in depth between coils......

[www.findmall.com]
September 09, 2012 12:33AM
Yes, the 10.5" coil is a bit deeper...... and performs fairly well in medium-trash environments. (Even better in low/no trash).