Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

GMP and the 13" Detech Ultimate Coil

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
GMP and the 13" Detech Ultimate Coil
September 13, 2012 01:51AM

I was able to take the new 13" Detech coil out this afternoon for an hour. I was on an area where band practice is performed each year. There is a ton of iron here and lots of trash. It is an area that I always take new detectors and coils
because it is the worst area I know.
Anyway here is my take on the Detech coil:

It is very easy to swing due to it light weight. It seems to have added depth over the stock 9" coil. Because it has a larger foot print, it sounds like a machine gun when swinging the coil fast. To pull targets out of trashy areas, I had to slow
my swing speed down so I could hear the quick high tones that were present among the mid and low tones. I ran the iron volume down low so that I could just hear the iron grunts and know they were there. I had the Disc. set as low as I could but not into the Auto setting. The sens was set at the leading edge of the red boost section. this had to be lowered when I came within 20 yards of any power lines. I would scrub the ground with the coil, trying to get as much depth as I could. Very slow coil swing to give time for each audio response to recover before the next signal was sounded. I found the quarter at about 3 inches, the butterfly screw at around 5" . I think this was off of some band instrument.
The very small silver ring was at about 6.5". It was a very clear but faint signal surrounded by iron grunts. Screw caps that were flat, gave me some problems as I dug 4 of them. Each sounded with a nice crisp high tone. I did notice that if the screw cap was on its side , it gave a mid to high tone. I am just guessing here as I did not use any measuring device and just used my best judgement, but it looks like a clad dime will air test at around 12 to 13 inches with this coil.

Nasa Tom, I plan to hunt this weekend with the GMP and will send the coil down after that for a more in depth testing in your hands.

Tom in SC
Re: GMP and the 13" Detech Ultimate Coil
September 13, 2012 02:56AM
Good looking coil Tom!!

Hope it works for you ...I would think the open areas it would be nice to have...

After reading Toms report on the other coil's..It seems like the engineer's built their platform off the stock coil's Characteristic's..

Weird I know but it is what it is...

They are saying the DEUS will not get a small coil option but a program to simulate a small coil using the stock 9...You know I think it's possible...

Keith
September 13, 2012 11:19AM
Interesting report. Curious on performance in less trashy areas....... what the coil's original design intent 'should' be. Weight is never an issue with me; ...... performance is what determines pass/fail scenario. Iron handling is always a concern.
September 13, 2012 11:29AM
I'll be watching this one! For one thing I'm interested in the machine if I can ever afford one and I have this coil on my Etrac. it now pretty much lives there. I'm very happy with it.
September 13, 2012 06:43PM
Eric & Mary,

FYI = If I test this coil........ some of the testing will be in Sanford.
September 13, 2012 09:22PM
Give us a shout!
September 14, 2012 01:16AM
Could be interesting to see how two different machines do with the same coil.