Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom's 12" dime

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom's 12" dime
October 10, 2012 06:34PM
Tom, what machines have successfully detected your 12" dime demonstrated in your video?
Re: Tom's 12" dime
October 11, 2012 12:40AM
The AquaStar-II does not come close. (((But.... I'm not looking for coins whilst beach hunting))).

But......... the successful ones are:

Many older generation CZ's (with 8" coil)
Explorer/E-Trac (with 10.5" coil)
1266-X (with 8" coil)
F75 LTD/SE (with many stipulations)
DMC-IIb
Shadow X-5
SD-2100/2200 & GPX series with 11" mono coil
October 11, 2012 12:14PM
If your after pure depth sure a nice lineup...from personal experience have done it in the field with the first 3 mentioned but haven't much experience with the others...
October 11, 2012 03:06PM
There has to be more detectors that will detect a dime at 12 inches since Tom's soil is low mineral. What about the Blisstool? Of course I realize Tom has not checked all detectors but I don't want some beginners to think those is the only detectors that can go that deep. It should be mentioned that the soil type has a major bearing on depth.
October 11, 2012 04:39PM
I certainly don't mean to be putting words into anyone's mouth, especially Tom's since a great portion of what I know today about detecting is through reading his articles and our phone consulations, but I think that the XP machines got close didn't they Tom? Maybe 11.5" or something? But there's a good chance my memory fails me. Happy Hunting to all!!!
October 11, 2012 07:36PM
The XP GMP will detect a 12" deep dime in inert Florida dirt; yet, not quite as consistent/reliable........ to 'qualify' as an entrant on the 12" list. (((Almost.... but not quite))).

I just received a Blisstool loaner from Barry...... and I'm ironing out some issues/details.
October 12, 2012 12:29AM
Hey Tom how about some of the digital CZ's? Like the CZ-7a Pro,CZ-70 Pro,or CZ-7's? Have you tried an of these models of digital's on the 12'' dime?
October 12, 2012 01:30AM
Sure have........ and they are included in the list as "older generation CZ's". The CZ-70 was 'pushed' to the limits a bit more than the other digitals.
October 13, 2012 07:12AM
how about the xterra 705?
October 13, 2012 09:56AM
I had a 705 in the test-garden just once.......... and it would not hit a 12" deep clad dime...... BUT...... there was 'question' as to how much EMI existed at that moment. Undetermined resultant.
October 13, 2012 05:44PM
Tom was curiuos when you said CZ-70 was pushed more than others? I had a friend with a CZ-7a pro that could run his sens. to 8 with out falsing. I had a CZ-70 Pro at the time that I could only run to 4 sens. with out falsing. I know some say they had different sens. parameters. But when we hunt a spot he would call me over when he got a deep 10'' pinpoint hit and I could never hit it at 4 sens. He could easily hit it with the 7a Pro at 8 sens.? I always wondered if he had a hot one or were all CZ 7a Pros hotter than the newer CZ-70 Pro's? I wonder what you think? I finaaly found one at a good price. It should be hear next week so I will test it out and see if it is as hot as my buddys.
October 13, 2012 10:48PM
Harold , i have had 2 - CZ 70s ser 1129 on the one i still have .
Both could run Sens at 6 with no problem.
But have read of some that could not pass 4
October 13, 2012 11:55PM
Just did a quick In the house air test.
At a Sens of 6 it hit about 11 inches on clad dime
With Sens at 8 then 10 still stable but was almost no gain on depth.
With Sens of 4 i lost a good 1 .5 inches.
October 14, 2012 01:18AM
If your CZ-70 could only be run at a Sens setting of '4'...... or instability would ensue......... something was slightly out-of-spec/cal.
It may be that Sens '6' was set up TOO hot.
October 14, 2012 06:26AM
Just to get back at to the 705, it would be interesting to see how it does with the different coils, in AM and in the prospecting mode with all the different coil. Just a thought.
October 15, 2012 01:02AM
The coil tested was the 10" DD 7.5-Khz coil.
October 15, 2012 05:09AM
I don't know for sure about the 705 but the 70 I had wouldn't hit a dime at 12".
It was more in line with other mid-priced models from various other brands.
Now prospecting mode, it would go deeper but its ID abilities are greatly diminished.
As best I can remember, the 70 depth was comparable to the Vaquero...so I have doubt
it would be able to keep up with FBS, CZs or other top of the line units.
For in ground depth in ground with minerals, it didn't lose much depth compared to some other mid-priced models.
The 10 DD or possibly other DD coils will do better than the stock.

That's my take, I might have had a "cold" one too, who knows yet there were plenty of Explorer users that tried
out the 70 and 705...and I didn't see a mass of those users willing to put down their FBS.
This doesn't make it a bad detector, in my mind it makes it a mid-priced unit.
October 15, 2012 10:19AM
Tom, have you maintained a spreadsheet containing data from your standardized tests? I'm curious about the performance variability within properly tuned CZ units.
October 15, 2012 11:25AM
No...... I never had the time to create/maintain a spreadsheet on all of the detectors that have come across my bench; yet, I did take some notes on certain units that I have calibrated/validated/certified......... especially if there were extraordinary resultants,,,,,,, good or bad.
October 15, 2012 07:28PM
Tom, have you had time to start testing the Blisstool? I would be interested in a comparison to the 1266x........

Tom in SC
October 16, 2012 12:09AM
I just got my CZ-7a Pro. It looked better in the pictures. But still good shape for it's age. Anyway's did an air test with 6 sens. 0 disc. ground 5 volume 5. I t will hit a clad dime a 11.25'',which is better than my old CZ-70 Pro. I took it out today and didn't find anything deep just a wheatie and clad nickel. But I could run at 6 sens. no problem so it is a keeper and rainproof. I still need to clean it a little more as it has small white paint specks on it? It looks like the guy was painting a room it was in? Maybe a little goof off with a Q-tip should do it? I left him good feedback ,But commented about it being dirty and he said he would never sell to me again! I guess you gotta kiss Butt on E-bay these days or get negative feedback as a buyer. Well at least it works good and for 315.00 I didn't do to bad.
October 16, 2012 12:49AM
Is there a coil cover on the CZ-7a Pro? Sounds like it is a good one.

((( I am reserved ...... for many reasons...... about reporting anything about this loaner Blisstool ))).
October 16, 2012 12:59AM
No there is no coil cover.It looks as if it never had one on so I will just leave it as is. I know Tom you don't like them anyway. I guess a liitle more depth won't hurt either!
October 16, 2012 11:14AM
Tom D., sounds like you are between a rock and a hard spot. I'm sure you put it through the ringer and hoped for an outstanding performance. When you state about being 'reserved about reporting anything about this loaner Blistool', tells me the results weren't all that good. I wouldn't want to be in that position, if that's the case. But, it is what it is.
October 16, 2012 11:34AM
Ozzie i would not read that much into his comments.
Tom does not soft step around any detector .
October 16, 2012 11:56AM
Tom, what about the original F75 with little or no EMI present?
October 16, 2012 06:23PM
Not quite. It's nearly a unintelligible 'click' or 'tick' audio response with a standard F75.
October 16, 2012 07:39PM
Gman, In my observation, Tom choses his words carefully when he reports his test results or talks on a dvd or comments here. When some test results are sub-par, his wording is such that it doesn't offend or bash a unit and one gets an un-biased but positive sounding excellent report. If the negs outweigh the pos, how do you report it and not start a small clash? It's a touchy situation and may be best unsaid. He may choose to be silent, or not.
Until I'm told otherwise, I interpret Tom's comment the way I stated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 08:00PM by ozzie.
October 16, 2012 07:44PM
I agree with each post. I was just fishing for information about his perfect ground conditions and possible machine choices.
I remember his post on the LTD and how adjustments (F75 LTD/SE (with many stipulations)) had to be made to acquire the dime.
Of which I will assume, EMI is the most deciding factor in detection while using the boost mode.
October 16, 2012 10:06PM
12" dime is DEEEP...I assume you are talking about hearing it in the ground vs. having an exact I.D.?

I have dug some DEEEP coin's, dime's and penny's past a foot but they did not sound like a coin or read like a coin...

In my dirt a planted 10" dime is only obtainable in a disc mode on a handfull of machine's.. and no dead on I.D. unles it's just Luck...

Now all metal mode hit's such quite easliy on a few machine's..

Keith