Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New guy with a question.....

Posted by OldSox 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New guy with a question.....
June 15, 2009 03:26PM
Glad that a friend made me aware of this site, as it is a great one! I have a simple question for everyone. Do you hunt with the coil cover (T2 and F75), and if you do, how do you take it on and off to clean under it without breaking the darned thing? Mine cracks every time that I try to take it off and clean it..............
BG
Re: New guy with a question.....
June 15, 2009 05:10PM
If you have an air compressor, it will help to blow compressed air under the coil cover.
Jeb
June 15, 2009 05:58PM
a coupla ways you can tackle this. First one is seal the Coil cover on permamently with a Silicon bathroom mastic sealant. Other than that Drill a couple of eigth diam holes in the coil cover while its off to let any surplus gathered water thats holding in side the coil cover, Out
June 16, 2009 12:05AM
I never, ever use a coil cover. I am absolutely sure that the little extra distance between the coil and the cover affects depth, even though it may be only a quarter of an inch. I've never worn through a coil, but if I do, I'll get a new one. I want to get the maximum depth that the machine is capable of, and I want to have the coil as close to the ground as possible.
June 16, 2009 01:30AM
Unless in jagged-rock country........ I NEVER use a coil cover. Too many problems induced.
June 16, 2009 03:19AM
Thanks fellas. I think that I will go without the cover, heck it is cracked in 5 different places anyway! The only problem is that I do have rocks here in Northwest Arkansas, guess I can try and be more careful though.
June 16, 2009 04:53AM
Hate coil covers I like my coil cover to be free as a bird in the nude let it all show I mean my coil cover that is!

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Jeb
June 16, 2009 01:04PM
HANG ON !!! HANG ON !!! HANG ON!!
In thirty plus years of detecting i`ve NEVER ,EVER, heard that the distance between the Coil cover and the coil be it 16th of and inch max, can possibly make ANY difference WHATSOEVER to depth capabilities. Where the Hell did that theory evolve from and IF SO show proof of it please .
the laughable thing is about this statement ,is that I`ve seen various guys swinging their coils about four plus inches off the ground when detecting ,and have still by some miracle, managed to find coins in the soil below them. So when we are talking COIL COVER thickness which as i said has to be no more that a 16th of an inch , I hardly think its worth even contemplating ,that it will restrict any depth WHATSOEVER .Sorry but i wouldn`t even give that theory a cats chance in hell.

Can Tom please enlarge on HIS preference for NOT using a coil cover, either by his admittance that it causes problems.
When a Coil cover is put on a coil and then the edges sealed with silicon mastic Bathroom type,to waterproof the entrance of water between the coil and the coil cover, I need to ask what "problems" does Tom for see happening ? There is NO space then what so ever for any water or magnetic dust to enter between coil & coil cover so I`d be really interested to ask Tom what does he see the problem arising by fitting a coil cover fitted as so. When you continually "Scrub" the dirt OR grass surface for a year or more ,by the friction on Dirt especially ,You WILL eventually wear into a coil IF not fitted with a "cheap" coil cover . I know , i`ve seen holes eventually wear into them. THEN you simply buy another cheap coil cover , mastic around the edges and away you go for another few years. BUT!! if your going to treat a COIL by scrubbing away or possibly knocking against rocks , you can and will hole a Coil.
The whole idea of a "Coil cover " is to let the coil cover be the initial first impact of friction or a knock, hence it makes perfectly GOOD SENSE to fit a coil cover . Not use one, at your own cost, (in dollars)
Jeb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2009 01:11PM by Jeb.
June 16, 2009 05:50PM
I wear out a cover a season on clean dirt and wheat stubble alone, still a lot cheaper than a new coil.

I do find though that the quality of the F75 coil cover is rubbish compared to other brands, It's like it's made from the same stuff in boxes of chocolates.
I do not nor have I ever used a coil cover...on ANY of my coils.
June 16, 2009 08:15PM
I've detected for over 35 years now, and have had dozens of machines, and I'm a scrubber, but I've NEVER even come close to wearing a coil out from abrasive wear, BUT......I DONT slam it into rocks or beat it to death. with a little attention paid to how you treat your coil, coil covers arent worth the trouble, and dont help much at all. covers are by nature softer and more fragile than the epoxy filled modern coils...so just because you break or wear a cover out on occasion, does not mean your coil would necessarily have been trashed. (the older hollow thin covered Whites coils may be the exception to this rule)
I tend to agree with tom on this one. covers by and large arent worth the trouble... (And I wouldnt even think of sealing a cover to one of my coils. The potential for damage trying to get it back off is greater than going without one in the first place! just my humble opinion.... Streak!
Jeb
Re: I do not nor have I ever used a coil cover...on ANY of my coils.
June 16, 2009 08:38PM
Why bother wearing Shoes then ? same difference.
Taking my good friends Dino`s point on the Thickness of the F75 coil.Granted ,its not the best of thicknesses i`ve come across ,however my view is its better than no coil cover. BUT!! were going to have to bow to user prefrence i guess as always and simply say, There there if you want to use them, and don`t if you don`t want to use them.The choice is yours.
June 17, 2009 02:06AM
my coil takes a beating and still looks new after almost three years!

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 17, 2009 07:52PM
I have thoroughly answered this exact question in a previous post. I have 12 years on one CZ 8" coil w/o coil cover.... and I scrub. ZERO damage.
Help! I'm outta time at the moment. Can someone find the post!
I managed to find this one Tom. not sure if it is the one you had in mind...
June 17, 2009 10:09PM
Re: CZ 8 inch coil covers...
Posted by: NASA-Tom (IP Logged)
Date: July 07, 2008 09:57PM

Coil cover = 1/8" thick.

PLUS

Very small air-gap between coil cover and coil = 1/8"

1/8" + 1/8" = 1/4".

Loss of 1/4" depth.... PLUS..... add salts/bad dirt/minerals ... sloshing around in that air-gap. Hmmmmm ,,,, I'd rather replace a coil every decade..... and find those (1/4") slightly deeper coins/relics.

Food-for-thought.

Tom
Re: I managed to find this one Tom. not sure if it is the one you had in mind...
June 19, 2009 01:10AM
THANKYOU Streak!