Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

another question

Posted by gravediggermax 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
another question
June 18, 2009 08:13PM
one day a few weeks ago i was spinning down the surflane with my old excal II and i hit this kinda iffy target.

it was a kinda good solid iffy signal, not loud, but there so to speak, so i dug her up and it turns out to be a small gold wire ring........has a heart at each end and it not connected, just end to end.......see pic

yesterday after work i decided to test it again (air test) and for me to even get a signal with my excals (2), i had to actually rub it on the coil and about the same with my f75.............very interesting i say.

now i grab my old trusty dry sand machine, a tesoro silver Umax and o m g, that baby will hit it loud and clear at 8 inches air test..............8" concentric - 10khz.

i need comments

thanks
max
Re: another question
June 19, 2009 01:15AM
No idea. I presume whilst passing this ring in front of the Umax..... it was still a split-ring. Be sure to hold the ring in such a fashion so as to NOT 'crimp' the ends together..... making a electrically complete circle.
June 19, 2009 02:10AM
Here is part of what my buddy beachcomber told me......makes sense to me

"That ring is very thin and tough for the multifrequency machines to detect. However wet salt sand is conductive so when the ring was in the wet sand it completed the circuit essentially connecting the two ends of the ring together making it easier for the Excal to detect it. The Tesoro is a single frequency machine that I think runs at around 10khz which is a good frequency for gold."
June 19, 2009 09:46PM
Yes, there is truth about the wet sand 'completing' the circuit. BUT, in an air-test.... with the ring 'open-loop'.... it should be very difficult for nearly all detectors to detect it; especially to any depth/range. A higher freq unit will (in general) do better.