Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is the CZ70 Pro the digital equivilant to the analog CZ3D ?

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is the CZ70 Pro the digital equivilant to the analog CZ3D ?
June 26, 2009 07:27AM
Hi,

My first post here, although I've been lurking for some time and have enjoyed reading the posts. I've been using Fisher detectors almost exclusively, with the exception being a Minelab Sovereign I use for beach detecting and once and a while try it for deep turf hunting. My Fisher arsenal consists of the Coinstrike, F4, F5, and F70. I'm still learning the hobby, and by no means consider myself an expert, but very much enjoy getting out as much as possible, and my main goal is to find old coins AND have fun.

At any rate, my question is, is the CZ70 Pro the digital equivalent to the analog CZ3D ?

I've been reading field reports and posts about the various CZ machines, trying to decide which one to get, and have been heavily leaning towards the CZ3D as I'm mainly looking for a unit to hunt old coins. Initially this lead me to believe the CZ3D was the way to go, but today I read a Field Test review from Lost Treasure on the CZ70 Pro and they pointed out that on the CZ70 Pro added a fourth tone/target ID specifically for old coins/relics which is I believe what FRL also did on the CZ3D. The same sites review on the CZ-70 Pro stated that "Realizing that detectorists could significantly benefit from the addition of a fourth (old coin/relic) audio identification tone and the additional visual target category provided by it. Fisher has recently introduced a new detector model, the CZ-70 Pro QuickSilver, which now incorporates a 4-tone audio identification system with corresponding meter indication. "

The CZ-70 Pro features a 4-tone audio I.D. system that produces a low tone (200Hz) for iron targets, a mid tone (450 Hz) for foil and tab I.D., a mid/high tone (800Hz) for old coin/relic I.D. and a high tone (1 kHz) for coin I.D.

The CZ-3D features a 4-tone audio I.D. system that produces a 200 Hz Iron, 350 Hz Foil, 450 Hz Tabs and 1 KHz Coin I.D. tone.

It seems to me that the CZ-70 Pro is almost better suited (at least on paper) for old coin hunting then the CZ3D, am I way off base here ?

Any pro con for the CZ3D over the CZ70 Pro or vice versa ?

Thanks and happy hunting,
Brian
Re: Is the CZ70 Pro the digital equivilant to the analog CZ3D ?
June 26, 2009 03:46PM
I have had the CZ70 and CZ3D and got rid of them to get the F75. Have had the F75 for almost three years. Tried a CZ3 a few weeks ago and could not get over how slow it seemed. In fact almost all detectors seem slow after you have used the F75...

I got the F5 as a back up and for its lower freq. Great little brother to the F75 it is fast and with the new 11" DD it should be a great unit at the price it sells for.

I have found more old coins with the F75...my friend has a CZ3 and when we hunt I get the older harder coins. He can't hunt in iron or trash or come close to the F75. IF you hunt in 4 tone and turn you disc down to 0 your machine becomes as close to a CZ3 as you can get. But it has no problems with most iorn or trash.

I would save you money and wait and see what Fisher brings out next.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 26, 2009 06:06PM
Hey Lawrenzo, We know each other, same Cal_Cobra that hunted with you guys in SF this spring.

I guess I just don't feel I get the depth with the F70 I feel I should get, so was looking at something that might get me to that next level. I purchased the 5" DD when it first came out, and took it to an old but very pounded park in Oakland and was very impressed with it. I was able to run the F70 in sizzle mode with this little coil, running the sens @ 90+, disc @ 6, thresh @ 0, with nothing notched. I found a 1912 wheatie, 1910 barber dime and a little gold plated Victorian era heart locked in an area I know has been pounded with the F75, Explorers and probably has seen a CZ or two as well.

I was so impressed with the 5" DD that I picked up the 11" DD for the F70/75 and tried it out at GGP this week. Although silver was elusive, I hit an area that like all other areas of GGP I know has been pounded. I ran it with the following parameters: Disc=6, sens=80, mode=SL, threshold= -9, and nothing notched. I was impressed with the DD coil, finally I was able to run the sensitivity high on a large coil in conjunction with the SLow mode and I was able to slice through trash fairly easily. If I got a target what was bouncing from iron #'s to coin #'s, I switched to AT/AM mode, and almost always it would report back iron #'s only. If it didn't, I'd dig it and usually would find a coin or other non-iron target, but I suspect there probably was some small piece of iron co-located in the plug trying to mask the good target. It also seemed like it hit harder on coins, meaning the numbers were less jumpy.

It loved wheat pennies, I found four which all dated to the 1940's, which for a pounded park, I feel was a good accomplishment. I thought for sure silver would come, but silver was taunting me as I found several 1960's era coins, including a 1965 quarter and dime and several early 60's pennies.

I did find a neat copper bangle bracelet marked Sabona London that I thought for sure was gold when I first recovered it and the sun shined on it , gleeming back at me, but upon further inspection it's a copper bracelet All said and done I recovered a little over $3 in change, the bracelet and a bucket of bottle caps.

It seemed like the F70 was faster at target processing, but I believe it was due to the DD having to analyze less soil. The biggest fault, as expected being a DD, it LOVES bottle caps!!!!

At any rate, I guess I need to figure out how to get more depth out of my F70, probably the trick will be maxing the sensitivity and threshold and running it in SL mode. SL mode is the same as JE mode on the F75, BUT with the benefit that the F70 doesn't play with the disc settings behind the scenes depending upon how you setup your parameters, PLUS I can run SL mode in AT/AM, which I don't believe you can do on the F75, which should mean that AT/AM mode on the F70 would be deeper then the F75. Maybe Tom can weigh in on some of these ideas?

We should hook up for a hunt, I have plenty of free time on my hands these days.

hh,
Brian
June 27, 2009 12:08AM
Brian,

The CZ-3D differs quite a bit from the CZ-70. The CZ-70 takes the entire 'square-tab' region.... and makes it a seperate tone (3rd highest tone). New coins on the CZ-70 report as the highest tone.

On the CZ-3D...... in the 'enhanced' mode; it'll report nearly ALL of the old coins (and new coins) as the highest tone.......BUT,,, MOST IMPORTANTLY, leaving MOST of the 'square-tab' trash to STILL AUDIBLY REPORT as a mid-tone/trash-tone. The CZ-70 will report ALL 'square-tab' readings as a "3rd highest tone"....... trash AND old coins........ leaving the operator to discern between the deeper 'square-tab' targets to recover...... and the shallow 'square-tab' readings to be left in the ground (usually modern trash).

As far as the F70; The SL (slow) mode is the deepest mode; HOWEVER, , , , because it's clock-speed is decelerated whilst in 'SL' mode..... it'll mask more targets. This hurts........ ESPECIALLY if you are relic hunting in moderately high iron trash areas. The flagship F75 does NOT have this problem.
The F70 in the 'SL' mode has virtually identical depth performance characteristics as the F75 on single/solo (not masked....not silently masked) targets. . . . when both units are equipped with identical-size coils.

Tom
June 27, 2009 12:12AM
..........and I should mention......... on the home-page, you will find "Fisher Intelligence" 6th edition. There are 2 articles directly relating to the CZ-3D.
June 27, 2009 05:47AM
Thanks Tom, I appreciate the information. I hope I didn't make a mistake, as I just purchased a CZ70 Pro with the 5" and 10.5" coils. Hopefully it'll get me the depth I'm looking for. I have your DVD, which I believe is based on the CZ platform, so I'll have to review it again before the CZ gets here.

Thanks again,
Brian
June 27, 2009 07:18AM
So F70 SL mode is deeper, but not as good in iron or trash...GRRR. I was using it today with the sens at about 80 and it seemed like it was struggling to lock onto coins, lots of iffy signals, which were mostly coins (or bottle caps), but you really had to work at them, seems like it should be able to lock on better.
June 28, 2009 04:50AM
Brian,

.....are you getting the 8" stock coil???..... or strictly the 5" & 10.5" coils? When you receive the unit w/coils........ check and see how well/accurate the unit will ID a good sampling of nickels..... especially with the 5" coil.
June 28, 2009 08:06AM
Oddly the 8" coil is absent in this CZ-70 Pro deal, so just the 10.5" and 5" coils. I'll try the nickel air test and see where they fall. I understand you have a standard air test baseline for the CZ3D to validate if it's a unit within spec. Does this same test apply to the CZ-70 ?

Thanks,
Brian
June 29, 2009 01:09AM
No..... but a good test is to make sure that the CZ-70 will ID a U.S. Half Eagle $5.00 gold coin as the 3rd highest tone (the new relic tone).