Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Last two trips with my Deus, and the curiosities I have found.

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Last two trips with my Deus, and the curiosities I have found.
November 30, 2012 01:56AM
It doesn't always have to be Civil War relics that float my boat. I do love the feeling from seeing a white big ol bullet in the hole, but I went to a place yesterday that was merely an old homeplace replete with nails nails nails.
I found some items there that I will keep, but have no clue what they are. I figured I'd share them with ya.
TODAY, I was invited to hunt deep in the woods at an old homesite. There is not a trace of the place left. There has been an old clothes iron found there, several toe taps, several harmonica reeds, and a cuff size General Service button. one would think that one had stumbled into an old campsite. I even dug a couple of authentic square nails. There was a 1872 Shield nickel found there last week by the guy who invited me. So this place was likely a cabin in the woods even after the Civil War was over. There was even a head lamp off an old Model T or some other. I also found some SILVER!!! I think. This is where I need some opinions. This appears to be a hammered dime. The edge is reeded. I even weighed it. It weighs 37.5 grains. A mercury dime weighs 37.8 grains. The item was about 7 inches deep, and was silver when it came out of the ground. It even clinks like silver when dropped on the floor. Very interesting. Perhaps it got real boring out there. But the curious thing is, not one Civil War bullet has come from today's site even though there were plenty of harmonica reeds, and toe taps, and a cuff sized Eagle general service button. The stuff may be deeper, as the soil is very soft and diggable if your not around roots.
Let's go back to yesterday's hunt when I went by myself a county over to an old homesite. I found a Studebaker (Erskine) key. The Erskine was produced from 1926 to 1930 and named after the sitting president of the company. Interesting stuff, huh?
First yesterday's finds:

Can anyone identify that odd looking piece on the far left?? Looks kind of like a heavy duty can opener. There's a hole in the opposite end.
Here's the Studebaker key found yesterday:

Here's this afternoon's finds at the possible Civil war camp/ old homeplace way out in the woods:

And here is a pic of the possible silver dime (??) on edge so that you can view the reeded edge:

Well, there my show and tell for the week. Hope ya enjoyed. Happy Searching!!!!!
Re: Last two trips with my Deus, and the curiosities I have found.
November 30, 2012 02:33AM
Nice silver Kevin!

Keith