Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Etrac or safari?

Posted by Brianthemic 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Etrac or safari?
December 03, 2012 07:06AM
Ok i live in west central illinois and not sure of the soil type (mineral content) but i hunt in parks and around houses some fields and do mostly coin and jewelry. What is better etrac ir safari? Big difference in price, But didnt know if the etrac was worth the extra for the processor ( assuming thats why the better target id range) versus the safari. Any thoughts? Oh ya just for info sake i am stepping up to one of these from a pioneer 505 (its an ok starter machine i guess, dosnt get great results. Just enuff to get you hooked into the hobby)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2012 07:52AM by Brianthemic.
Re: Etrac or safari?
December 03, 2012 02:19PM
Without going in specifics Explorer series are just a much better unit and well worth the extra money....but do expect a learning period and do visit the appropriate forums as they are a wealth of info. Some real nice E-tracs going for good prices used since the CTX was introduced and the transferrable 3 year warranty makes it a plus
PS: a patient mentor can really cut down your learning period and even the factory presets make if a formable unit and would advise you to use them as a starting point.
I hope you are good at tones as certainly a plus in their operation... speaking from experience have used both and only thing they have in common is both are heavy...
So not to be understood Safari is a good unit but well the Explorer series is much better...Wow your taking a big jump from a 505 so be patient and when things fall into place you are going to be surprized and the net is full of data to help you along with many longtime users on this forum...
December 03, 2012 03:12PM
ok so is the etrac part of the explorer series? i know the explorer, safari, and etrac all use the same 28 fbs, but the each seem to have diffrent target id segments and number of tones? and yes lol i am making a big jump. lol i have spent alot of time with the 505 and i seriously think something is wrong with it. air testing the 505 with a sterling silver ring it comes up as 1% zinc and can only detect it at like 5 inches. the places i go are kinda high trash areas and i figured i get what i pay for and really dont want to spend all that time with another machine learning just to end up buying something else and repeating the process. i dont really want to go over 1600 bucks and so far from the massive amount of time i have read and watched videos it seems minelab high end is where i should be. ctx3030 dosnt appeal to me... lol to many extras i wouldnt really use.
December 03, 2012 05:29PM
I think it's going to be more of which machine fits your hunting style personally. They are both good machines. The Etrac gives you more in depth visual information where the Safari would be more for a person more interested in the tones without the extra visual input. The Etrac does give you more bells and whistles which some people like and some don't. I favor my Etrac but know another hunter who favors the Safari. In the end the person who really learns his detector will be the one who does better I suspect.

Most people seem to develop a style that will favor certain platforms for certain jobs in certain conditions. Right now if I was looking at Etracs though I'd look for a used one with transferrable warranty on the forums. You could save plenty and pick up an extra coil or two!
December 03, 2012 09:01PM
Some forum members just have the ability and Sailorman said it all in a short precise post...Good post my man as you covered it well and indeed either way its a Quantum leap
and seems like the original poster is hooked and heck use the best you can afford and expect more goodies in the pouch and more personal satisfaction...Good luck in your decision....
December 03, 2012 09:44PM
The explorer has more depth than the safari. I have a dime buried 8" deep in my test garden. The safari ids it as iron. The explorer hits the dime and ids it most of the time with all my coils, including the x5. I bought the explorer used with 5 coils for $800.
December 03, 2012 09:49PM
Using both the ExplorerSE and the E, I have to say the E track is easier to learn. Both are great units. If I had to choose one it would be a tough decision.......I would prob pick the SE.
December 04, 2012 12:46AM
Your choice should be between Explorer and Etrac.
Safari is a stripped feature version of the Explorer.
December 04, 2012 01:52AM
Opinion is: E-Trac feels lighter with better ergonomics in the hand grip, has larger LCD screen, easier menu structure, has more stable response and operation in Auto, has same or slightly greater depth, uses Auto Sens differently so E-trac runs in Auto at higher sens levels, has an expanded Co scale from 32 to 50 and Fe from 32 to 35, better touch-pad design, IronMask improved with QuickMask version, better pinpointing, more user modes, more informative sens display bars, has more consistent Co numbers with buried targets, E-trac Fe and Co numbers react independently so Fe values can change with ground but Co is relatively unaffected while Explorer can have mixing of values, Explorer display represents good targets along a curve with Co values compressed (Co values don't change much but Fe can) at the top and bottom - this problem was 'fixed' by the engineers when developing the E-Trac.

There is a brand new Explorer Se for sale at $1025 and a used one for $695 and another for $750 on another website. You can find an E-Trac used for about that too.
December 04, 2012 03:56AM
are there any diffrences between target seperation? i know high trash areas seem to confuse some detectors. i know i have read some detectors with the iron mask null out over iron and you end up missing targets, just dont want to sppend that kind of money if i could get the same target seperation,depth,and id on a 1000 dollar unit versus a 1500. i looked at the f75 and my brain would not be able to handle 60+ tones in the high trash areas lol( thats the best one for target seperation i have seen on this forum reading thrue the posts from day one) and yes im obsessed lol just ask my wifesmiling smiley) as far as used detectors go i have gotten burned on buying used and since there are no independent dealers left in my area for minelab i was planning on buying new
December 04, 2012 04:17AM
You're over thinking it a bit. Just buy a used Explorer. Get the rattiest dirtiest one you can find - that way you know it works well smiling smiley
December 04, 2012 04:27AM
so whats the diffrence between etrac and explorer se pro? and why list the processor for the etrac if it plays no special roll in the advancment? not trying to be rude or an ass but just want to make sure i get the better of the ones im looking at. i want to make sure im getting the bestand not feeling left like i need to upgrade in a year lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2012 04:30AM by Brianthemic.
December 04, 2012 07:09AM
Well since you haven't used either model, you might do well with the Etrac.
There are a lot of old Explorer users that simply didn't warm up to the Etrac way of doing things.
I have heard some complain about both the Explorer SE and Etrac...compared to the Explorer 2 and Explorer XS
that they false more than the earlier models.
I think it has more to do with the Pro coil on those 2 models more than anything else...yet this is only from reading the forums since I decided not to upgrade.
I see where many Explorer SE users switch from the Pro coil to the SEF coils as a result to the falsing issue.
Newer doesn't always mean better but if buying new, those are you only choices at this point.

Not trying to scare you away as there are many that use the new versions and do well with them.

I believe you will be pleased enough with separation if you are planning to hunt parks and such with either model.
It's only in the most trashiest nail ridden areas where some of us like to try/use other brands/models.

It seems perhaps the Etrac may be easier for a new user?
If it were me, I would likely try to locate a good used Explorer 2 or Explorer XS (the second edition XS).
But that is just me, I still the Explorer XS and don't feel like I am missing anything.

These machines...some don't catch onto as quickly as other detectors...so there may be a learning curve.
It would be good if you have someone local that has either or both that you could play around with first to see how you like them.

That may be good logic to buy the Etrac and then make peace with yourself that you have the best money can buy
and not thinking you should have bought it first if questions should arise were you to go with the Explorer.

I haven't seen objective evidence that proves the Etrac is superior to the Explorer SE or that the SE is superior to the earlier models.
Just my take...perhaps some others here has used them all and can make a reply.
It may be good for you to post over on FM forums and ask questions there too.
December 04, 2012 02:51PM
Personally I think you should go to a multi line dealer or perhaps a detecting club for hands on advice...Simply put do you want a Buick or Chevy as both will get you from point A to B but the ride will be different.
Do remember you have to make the choice and well we have some guys that have a entry level Tesoro's and raid the Tot lots and have fun while we have those that prefer to hunt the real old areas and grab real old coins and imagine many fit into the equasion in different steps from one to the other.
Personally I would be happy with one deep silver dime rather than 5 bucks clad and only you know where you would like to fit in.
No forum member can make the choice for you so do your homework my friend and remember no matter where you fit in the idea is to have fun and don't foreget to smell the roses along the way...
December 04, 2012 04:20PM
Lol well put Dan. I feel the same way about the dime
December 04, 2012 04:46PM
Like Dan said have FUN! I've seen too many people that get caught up in the dollar value of their finds or the age of the coins. When they aren't hitting it good they get all out of sorts. Remember, it's a hobby! I enjoy finding stuff, period.

Make a choice jump in with both feet and learn the heck out of what you have. But enjoy the outdoors, the sights and even the dang zincolns. At least they're better then Olde English caps................barely, maybe.
December 04, 2012 11:27PM
Well thank you to all who posted. I appreciate the thoughts and info.
December 10, 2012 03:28AM
Just one added thought. I owned a Safari and it worked great for me. Easy to set up and tones are easy to learn. The tones on FBS machines are similar but there are some nuances there are thos that say the tones on Safari I just a little easier to learn and use. Never used Etrac or Explorer so can not confirm. I will add one last note I would recommend getting the safari and use some of the money saved to buy a smaller coil. In most parks with high trash the smaller coil will help make your hunting a whole lot more enjoyable because will find it easier to hunt among the trash. Use the rest of your savings to get a good pinpointer.

Good luck and happy hunting

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
December 10, 2012 11:56AM
Now theres the difference..... if you are looking for silver the Explorers have a distinct tone no other machine has, not even the ET. BUT..... to learn the tones on the SE is a learning curve over the ET right out of the box. But once it clicks that you arent listening to the LOUD tones but those deeper weaker ones it clicks. You get what you pay for in this case. An ET has the bang over what you are using and will keep you impressed for years. Also if you bought a Saf.... wouldnt be long before you wondered what you were missing not buying an ET.

Dew
December 10, 2012 12:44PM
Well guys, I have had the ET and EXII and have found more with the Safari. Both the ET & EX were a nightmare for this tech challanged old guy to figure out!!! The Safari has just the ### ID's and tones. In fact I would compare it more to the Sovergien than the others. I hunt mostly with tones and the Safari does the trick for me. All FBS detectors are slow movers hunting wise anyways, so if you like to speed hunt they are not for you. The Safari is just as deep as the others I have found out.........Mark
December 15, 2012 07:33PM
Well don't count out the X-Terra 705 I live in Wisconsin and have similar soil type conditions, I dug a Mercury Dime a couple of weeks ago that was 8 1/2 deep, I have also just found a Standing liberty quarter,a 1874 indian and several wheat's.
The achine is light and deep. Food for thought. Greg