Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Up Averaging

Posted by John 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Up Averaging
December 07, 2012 02:43PM
have seen this talked about and do know what it means.
Just curious if any of you have found a machine that maybe does this a bit better than another.
Thanks,
John
Re: Up Averaging
December 07, 2012 03:23PM
It basically does not happen in my ground which has magnetite mineralization. Any surface VDI is pulled lower the deeper the item is. At max depth nearly all items read ferrous as the detector sees more ground then target. Up averaging would be a blessing.

Steve Herschbach

Prospecting Since 1972 at DetectorProspector.com

Steve's Mining Journal - - Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting "How To" Guides - - Equipment Information & Reviews - - Public Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Sites - - Gold Mining Claims For Sale or Lease - - Steve's Guide to Gold Nugget Detectors

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2013 03:05PM by Steve Herschbach.
December 07, 2012 03:42PM
MY XP Deus does it alot. In fact....I would say most of the targets I dig started at above 70 and when out of the ground, unless they were a coin, they read in the 40's and 50's and 60's when waved in front of the coil. Sometimes, I can just kick some dirt of leaf littler out of the way.....down to bare ground, and the Deus will start lowering the ID of the target. Many targets that started out as 85 (Oh Boy...Silver or something good!!!) turned out to actually ID in the 30 or 40 range (NUTS!!!! a piece of can slaw...how in the sam hill did it get THAT deep!). Hope the holps.
December 07, 2012 05:25PM
Some Fisher machines are made to do this. I know the F75 is.
In theory to have you dig and not walk by some targets.
Anonymous User
December 07, 2012 10:36PM
Kevin B - I have been saying that from the very beginning about the Deus...

As much as I love using it - the TID is NOT as accurate as the E-Trac or CTX - especially as you go deeper.
So, for parks and homesites where you need discretion when to dig - I don't trust the Deus to not fool you with non-ferrous junk.
For farm fields, relic hunting and pasture where you can dig most anything easily - that's where it excels.

Again - the Deus was built for the type of detecting that is done in the UK - dig everything above a 29 at 12kHz. The best stuff are low tones and small (think gold 1/4 staters and hammered silver).
Just my opinion.
December 07, 2012 10:50PM
Hopefully version three will deal with some of this. But I doubt it will be addressed. The best way I found to deal with it is to slow down and hit targets from multiple angles.
December 07, 2012 10:58PM
I dog all of the non ferrous anyway. It don't really bother me that much. I was just trying to answer the original posters question. I spent all afternoon digging with the Deus, and it was true to form. I'm getting used to it.
December 08, 2012 04:37AM
Some of that having higher readings, then it is lower...I think is higher transmit operating freq.
I noticed it with the Xterra I had, I could sweep a target once and it was a higher number.
Sometimes after several sweeps over same target it would start lowering the number till it was somewhat in the numerical area it should have been to start with.
Has there ever been a really stable VIDing unit running a high freq? Might have been but I haven't heard of it.

I would think that it something software programing could correct, making for superior VID.
Suppose it doesn't hurt to dream....
December 08, 2012 12:27PM
Steve my Gold Bug SE is one of those.
Running at around 19khz it has a very stable ID
I hit a target with a solid 82 on the ID , after digging over 8 inches a old brass bell pops out.
It had a little rust were the handle attached and read 80 on top of the ground.