Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

looking to get a new detector soon

Posted by dig-it-up 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
looking to get a new detector soon
December 12, 2012 05:14AM
im getting the itch to try something new, i currently use a t2se and have done well with it on gold rings but not many silver coins i live in northern california and the t2 does not get very good depth here i guess because of the ground mineralization been looking at a safari or etrac or the cz line to try to get better depth. any advice would be appreciated hh
Re: looking to get a new detector soon
December 12, 2012 01:28PM
If you can "TRY" a Minelab E-Trac/Explorer before you buy......... that would be a good start. (((Borrow from a friend.... or club))).
Even better ... would be if you could bury a clad dime at a depth "just past" where the T2 SE can ID it fairly well............ then test the Minelab units.......... and see (justify) if it is worth the purchase. You may find that the Minelab ID's better at about an inch better than the T2......... or performs about the same as the T2. Then............. it's your call if you want to vest in the Minelab.
December 12, 2012 02:02PM
Another source may be a local dealer that rents or perhaps will let you use a used unit he has on the wall. Unfortunately the weight may be a problem after using the T2 and thats certainly a hands on experience and even though Explorer series are excellent units the weight may be detrimental. My CZ works very well in my medium ground and can be hipmounted but understand does not perform as well in bad ground situations from research and reading I have done...
December 12, 2012 02:23PM
If you decide on the Minelab you might want to consider a sling. I love my Etrac but with a trashed shoulder I can't even swing an AT-Pro without it, much less the Etrac. Without it I'm good for maybe an hour even switching arms. With it I can hunt all day.
December 12, 2012 02:59PM
Dig it up...where are you.located at? I'm in Calaveras county,but hunt a lot in Stockton. For parks,its Minelab hands down. I used the sov for years,plenty of old deep silver with it. I I know relic hunt more often and have switched to other detectors. The ATPro is a good one for silver.
December 12, 2012 06:29PM
thanks for the replys, i live in crescent city its a small town on the coast 25 miles from the oregon border there are no dealers any where close so i can not try before i buy i know one guy that has a atpro here in my town and he does much better on deeper silver than me we hunt the same spots . i guess i should think about buying a used etrac or explorer can always sell it without losing much if it does not work that well , also been looking at the fisher cz3d should be good on the beaches as well as land, if theres any other unit that might work well im open to suggestions thanks hh
December 13, 2012 12:59AM
The minelabs do great on the beaches....you may wanna consider Brianna girls sovereign ft...get deeeep silver,and about as good as it gets on beaches