Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

White gold...

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
White gold...
December 16, 2012 02:09PM
I got looking at my gold ring finds the last couple of months and noticed that 30 percent of the finds were white gold. Of the rings that were white gold ..... 22 percent had stones. Surprising to me on the yellow gold 28 percent of the finds had stones. How close do you think these percentages are to whats being worn by people? OR.... is this an accurate percentage of what we finds?

Dew
Re: White gold...
December 16, 2012 05:12PM
Dew,

In my databanks....... the volume of white gold rings is about on-target. The percentage with stones seems to be somewhat/mildly under-par.
December 16, 2012 05:23PM
Well i can only hope those numbers improve then Tom. Im sure you get more than i do and it may well be the location, skill, and equipment in your case. So..... is there anything to be gained from this information..... like are we missing a LOT of those white golds and white golds with stones?

Dew
December 16, 2012 05:53PM
Yes!
December 17, 2012 01:14AM
Would a white gold read higher or lower than a yellow gold ring on VDI if they were the same size?
December 17, 2012 03:15AM
Often white gold is mixed with nickel or a low conductor..... yellow gold is more often mixed with copper a higher conductor. White gold should read LOWER. Lower means closer to the salt setting.... and at depths its a killer for the small stuff with stones.

Dew
December 17, 2012 02:30PM
For comparison my wifes wedding and engagement rings which are white gold read 8 on a 1-100 meter....XLT....while yellow gold rings of same size read 17-18 which are right below Jefferson nickle. So indeed white gold will read lower and indeed is a real low foil reading...
December 17, 2012 03:07PM
Thanks Dan......... and that is correct. White gold is a much lower conductor.... vs .... yellow gold.

Didn't I write an entire thread on exactly this subject............. possibly titled: "Salt Training 101" .......... or "CZ users Salt Training 101" ??? And included exact same size/weight rings....... but some are white gold and some are yellow gold???
December 17, 2012 09:16PM
I must have been absent that day lol. I guess i need to go find it and catch up on my homework. I posted some info on rings i had that was scanned by the Exp SE as well.

Dew
Tri
December 17, 2012 09:50PM
Dew,,

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

I believe this is it.
December 18, 2012 01:48AM
Tri.......... that's exactly it. Thanks. And........... more specifically........... the data is near the bottom of page 4.
December 18, 2012 10:41AM
Tom, that is a good read and answers some questions I had from a find (someone elses) he actually saw the earring on the sand and passed his PI over it and it didn't respond.... neither did another PI... and then my SOV failed to read the earring..... (approx .5 gr of white gold) need to test it with the gold bug pro ...... Very eye opening post ...... and...... quite a nitch/notch for some company to fill.......if they only would make the detector that could!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cliff
December 18, 2012 12:41PM
Cliff,

For some reason......... Mfr's don't feel there is a large enough market for this........ so as to authorize more monies/R&D in this direction. To combat wet salt conductivities..... is another engineering-mindset woe.
December 18, 2012 02:44PM
First thing that caught my eye was the depth on that yellow gold 10K... then i kept reading. Would the depth difference between the Ks remain the same if the rings were increased in size? How much depth difference do you think a PI here in Fl would have made on that same test over the machine you used? So should i assume that a PI with 15uS wont pick up a .5 gram piece of yellow gold?

Dew
December 18, 2012 04:14PM
Dew............. if you could................... could you ask these exact questions on the actual Salt Hunting 101 thread (you can just cut-n-paste to that thread)......... so as to keep as much of this data consolidated in one easy thread? I do have your answers..... and would rather have that old thread brought back up to the front.