Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got One! Now with Pictures

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Got One! Now with Pictures
January 05, 2013 12:17PM
We didn't work Friday, we were as far as we could go until the concrete is poured on Monday.
I did some office work, ran some errends and met my buddy at the park building to get our yearly detecting permits, then figured we would hit the turf for a couple hrs.

The wind was blowing a little more than a breeze and the temperature was hovering in the freezing zone, not too bad, only the hands were uncomfortable.
I was swinging my Tom tuned 1021 3d. My bud useing his ML 3030
Not too long in the swing and Bam! I dug a large cent. Then again many minutes later, Bam! out comes another, same size, figured another large (turned out looking like a Connecticut Copper). My friend dug a nice button.
Of course, in between the good stuff we dug some car door handels and other good sounding targets... as usual.

My battery power was getting low and happy with my finds, I meandered toward my truck, not really wanting to leave just yet.
I get a high tone with a iron grunt about 16" away, so I shortened my swing to make sure it wasn't a false, walking around the target , high tones all around.

During the short hunt, in my mind I was picturing early 1800's dimes like a draped or capped bust.

Sunk my shovel in and poped a plug, swung coil over the hole, target still in the hole. Took a bit more dirt out, coil over the hole, targets out. Garrett PP located the target in a chunk of dirt. As I crumbeled the chunk, a coin fell to the ground. Put on my trifocals and nodded my head to get a focus. What the he!! is this! play money. Is the sunlight playing tricks with my vision. I shouted to my bud, who was nearby....Got something here with a gold color, think it's a coin'.

He came fast stepping over and I handed it to him. With the wind blowing in the eyes, well you know how that is, blinking and wiping to focus, he said' I think it's a gold coin' ,,'no way' I said.
I saw miss liberty, 1885, eagle and five d.on the reverse. I'll settle this and pulled out my phone, typed in those words and my coin came on the screen...holy mackerel, it's a gold coin!!! We stood there looking at each other with our mouths open.

I can't believe it. I'm on cloud nine.....a gold coin!! ....my first!
The details are great but it appeares it was subject to heat. Under glass, it has microscopic alligatoring. Along with that, It looks like when you spray gold paint on metal that still has bits of crud or dirt on it.

I'd like to post some pictures after my wife shows me the procedure.

The sun has cracked, time to bundel up and hit that spot again...ya never know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2013 02:33AM by ozzie.
Re: Got One!
January 05, 2013 12:27PM
Wow! Congrats on the find! Looking forward to the pics. CZ comes away with the gold and the CTX3030??? winking smiley

So, how deep was it exactly? I think a regular CZ would not high tone on a gold coin right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2013 12:27PM by earthmansurfer.
January 05, 2013 12:49PM
Congratulations.
Hope to see a picture soon.
January 05, 2013 12:55PM
A "regular CZ" will give a mid-tone, a 3D a high tone... exactly as designed!

I'm thinking that the $5 gold coin may be a counterfeit. Crude fakes were/are common.

Hope to see a picture soon.
January 05, 2013 01:02PM
Albert, , , that is correct. A regular CZ (or any other brand 'tone' detector).... would ID a Half Eagle gold coin as a mid-tone/trash-tone.
Ozzie and I have been PM'ing each other about this find......... and I shall cut-n-paste some of my shared words here:

STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!! And that is EXACTLY what the CZ- "3D" is for!!!!!!!! Yes...... I would most certainly post this (with photos.....if possible) on the forum. . . . including the two early coppers. This is a experience that you will NEVER FORGET for the rest of your life!!!! It is my strongest recommendation that you document/post this data......... while it is still fresh on your mind. As years pass........ you will see exactly 'why'.

WOW!!!!!!!!!

First.......... take a standard Oral B 40 toothbrush ....... with the bristles cut to half length............ and running water........... to clean the coin. TAKE PHOTOS "BEFORE and AFTER" the clean-up process. How bad/dirty is the coin?

What a good way to start off the new year!!!! (((Does it justify the 'permit')))???!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!

HAPPY INTELLIGENT HUNTING!

Sincerely,

Tom

-------------------------------------------

Hi Steve,

I too..... am still stunned by the Half Eagle! Thought about it most of the night. Had to re-read your e-mail. This significant 'find'....... states a lot about our nations United States history. It is also......... on average.......... about 1/2 months pay for an individual.......... assuming it was lost around 1888. And if it was lost by a farm laborer...... it might even be more 'pay'. I consider this to be "The Find Of The Year" thus far. And.......... even though you may find items that trump the 'dollar' value of this coin....... it still takes the cake. As long as the area is not too trashed out....... I'd start digging the mid-tones also. (((Remember..... people 'hated' .... did not trust.... paper money during this era. This is important........ critical !!! ))).
Sounds like the Half Eagle was at about the 10" depth range....... and your (older) large cents were even deeper. Glad you have a 12.2" capable "deep" running CZ! Pay's off..... doesn't it!!!!

And......... anything to 'boost' mankind is paramount. Inspire!

Sincerely,

Tom

(((more to follow)))
January 05, 2013 01:07PM
Thanks earthman,
My buddy hit on a small ornate button and also found what appeared to be a colorful bead with copper in it. He didn't walk over any coins as I'm sure they'ed be in his pocket. He did say that he swung his coil only a foot from the spot the gold was recovered.

The Half Eagle was 7 to 8 inches deep as were the copper coins.
I asked my friend to find a clean spot, and placed the gold coin on the ground so he could see what numbers came up on his 3030. They read 12--32/34, if I'm remembering correctly.
January 05, 2013 01:34PM
First.... I would NOT initially clean the coin! Although coins were minted at the Philadelphia and San Francisco mints that year, neither is considered "rare" within the series. Still, I'd personally like to see the coin "as-found" before proceeding with any type of cleaning.

However, if the surfaces are indeed damaged, as you have described, then you can't hurt the coin any further.

Rare coins are significantly devalued through cleaning... even very slight cleaning, usually degrading numerical grade by one or two levels; a "VF" coin will be valued as a "Fine" or "VG". I damaged a rare find a few years back by gently rubbing a 1866 seated dime in a clean puddle. I will post that story in a new thread this weekend.

Tom, you cut the bristles in half, thus making them stiffer to yield a more aggressive cleaning. Hmmm...

I "conserve" coins now through a combination of electrolysis and chemical dipping. It is the safest way to clean corroded / badly toned coins, however the process is time consuming. I posted my setup on FM a year or so ago but that thread has probably been deleted. Electrolysis is documented elsewhere on the web.

Still, congrats on "the find of a lifetime"!
January 05, 2013 02:10PM
Absolutely AWESOME FIND!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!! I know the feeling, yet in bit smaller way. Mine was a qone dollar gold piece (Indian Princess design) minted in 1859. What a feeling. I had similar feelings when it still had dirt on it. I thought that I have found a button with gold gilting on it. When I saw the word "ONE" I knew it was no button. I'll never for get that day. Take plenty of pics.
January 05, 2013 02:16PM
Congrats on a nice find and one never knows..Judging by your description could be a counterfeit but one wonders if a faker would hold up buried so long. Once found two Barber quarters in one hole and one was a faker and my coin man picked it right out so take it to a coin dealer for verification. Indeed coins were counterfeited in those days as one coin could easily be a day or weeks pay. Have no doubt if your partner went over a good coin it would be in his pouch and would hate to hunt that area after that duo scanned it...
Anonymous User
January 05, 2013 02:41PM
Great find........however........allegatoring???

Gold coins in the UK after 600+ years don't get like that.........hmmm.......
January 05, 2013 03:32PM
Congrats, what testiment to the 3D and it's ability. Work that area thoroughly and from different angles. How many years of detecting before this event?
January 05, 2013 04:26PM
Congrats on the gold coin.....I'm still lookin'. gl and hh!!
January 05, 2013 06:05PM
Wow, what a treat! Can't wait to see a pic. Congrats Ozzie! I was thrilled on Dec. 21 to find my 1st gold ring, I cannot imagine the elation of finding a gold coin no matter it's condition. Heck, I'd be tickled pink to find one cut in half even! Get the Mrs. on the stick and show us that treasure. I was wondering what was up. I have been PMing Tom about my CZ5 and he told me to watch the forum for your announcement. Glad I was here to share in the fun! Headed out right now myself, hope I find something half as worth posting! HH everyone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2013 04:06AM by Blissterd1.
January 05, 2013 06:08PM
WOW, ozzie! Just WOW!! What state are you in? Just curious!

Congrats on a once in a lifetime find! AMAZING!!!

Steve
January 05, 2013 06:14PM
Is it a counterfeit?

1. Weight it - a 1885 Half Eagle should be 8.359 grams. If it is significantly less (4-5 grams) it isn't gold, may be brass or copper.
2. The coin edge may have a flat spot or slight bump where the metal was poured into the mold via a hole. Check for uneven edge
3. If the coin surface is bumpy, uneven, or cracking - it is probably a fake (alligator skin?) due to other metals being used
January 05, 2013 07:43PM
Sounds great...Man 5 dollar piece,,, nice..

Congrats

Keith
January 05, 2013 08:34PM
Super find Ozzie. The 3D did exactly what it was supposed to do !!!
January 06, 2013 02:15AM

Whew!! that was a chore. Here are the pictures of the Half Eagle. It's stained somehow, dieing to clean it. Maybe it is a conterfeit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2013 02:31AM by ozzie.
January 06, 2013 02:22AM
way to go!
January 06, 2013 03:08AM
Yes............ 80-seconds in Lime-A-Way....... and brush. You may need to do this 2 or three times...... but I doubt it.
Re: Got One! Now with Pictures
January 06, 2013 03:09AM
Man, WHAT A BEAUT!!!!!!!! Congrats again!!!!!!!! That is a RARE find!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job!
January 06, 2013 04:09AM
BEAUTIFUL!
January 06, 2013 04:17AM
Nothing to be lost cleaning that one.

Have at it...
January 06, 2013 04:36AM
Congrats again I know the thrill must of been awesome...

Thats a good size piece of gold...few will ever dig any size gold coin but especially the bigger ones are going to be tough to get...

If theres one there could be other's...especially a larger one like that...

I have heard of people digging the 5 dollar ones then go back and find the 10 dollar ones...could very well be a cache there somewhere...

Keith
January 06, 2013 04:42AM
Awesome!!, congrats.
January 06, 2013 04:51AM
Looks about VF-25 or so. Worth about ~$425. If it's real.

Even so, great find.
January 06, 2013 05:59AM
Thanks guys, for all the kind words.
January 06, 2013 06:21AM
Congrats! Sure an exciting find!

I hope you get a chance to weigh it. I just picked up a spare scale from Amazon for under $10.

HH Joe
January 06, 2013 01:27PM
It's the same size as a nickel.
Thanks DrJoe, that will tell me if it's real.
I tried cleaning it with CLR (lime away equal?), and E-Zest, nothing touched it. I'd sure like to get the stains out.
January 06, 2013 02:25PM
Okay........... then.......... the next step/phase.......... is to clean it with Aluminum Jelly and the same toothbrush. "Duro" is the brand of Aluminum Jelly that I use. It can be found at ACE hardware...... and other hardware stores.
Apply the aluminum jelly..... and let it sit for 90-seconds. Then brush the coin for about 90 seconds. Then rinse the coin under running water..... using the same toothbrush.
I'm still quite certain the coin is real. Not sure why the coin (especially the reverse side) is abraded.

We'll get that coin cleaned yet! And without any additional damage.