Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anybody here ever try dowsing?

Posted by AMCJAVELIN 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Anybody here ever try dowsing?
January 18, 2013 03:24AM
This discussion brought out some of that passion that Tom's always talking about. We can be a fired up group sometimes...
January 18, 2013 12:03PM
Yes, there's been some 'heat' with this thread; yet, still presenting constructive passionate thoughts/beliefs/experiences. A few feathers later........ education ensued.
January 18, 2013 08:38PM
The thing is as long as one knows going into this that these devices have no proven track record for doing what they claim they do.
Then if they spend their money...it is their money....and can spend as they see fit.....

Geotech's webpage is a good resource for learning more about these devices.
There are info pages, one in particular has a few of the better known makers/sellers and their interaction with Carl on the 25000 dollar reward.

[www.geotech1.com]

This was a few years back, I remember there were threads with them making replies and such.
I tried to find the threads, I know geotech had a makeover and maybe in the change, some were lost or they are buried way back in pages somewhere.

Anyway, Carl really did a lot of research on this subject and we are all indebted to him for bringing out the truth about dowsing/ LRL.
Perhaps some here have the money to burn and can do their own research and see what their own conclusions are.
What is useful is repeatable results that can be later verified others.

Of course there will always be other opinions to the contrary.

Here again is the link Carl provided earlier:

[www.geotech1.com]
January 18, 2013 09:26PM
Thanks for the links! like Steve H. i looked for a way to get Carl's book?Does he have other books?
January 18, 2013 11:41PM
Where knowledge ends, religion begins.

January 19, 2013 06:43PM
*** A dog that can smell gold....Hmmmmmm ***

Wouldn't that be a GOLDen retriever?

*** .... see your book came out. How do I get a copy? ***

Try: [www.geotech1.com]

*** As I got older I settled for just hoping for ESP or something.****

I knew you were going to say that.

**** United States Military Dowsers in Vietnam ****

The Marines using dowsing during Vietnam is from an article in "The New York Times" from 1967.

"Another series of unsuccessful experiments was reported in Nature by R. A. Foulkes (1971). Experiments were organized by the British Army and Ministry of Defense to determine if buried mines could be located by either map or field dowsing; dowsing for water was also tested. For the map dowsing tests, 20 inert mines were buried along several military roads. Seven dowsers were given maps of the roads and asked to locate the mines. Only chance results were obtained. For the field dowsing, a 20 by 20 grid was established with each square being 20 feet (6.1 meters) on a side. Five different types of objects (80 of each type) were buried randomly. Tests were conducted with 22 dowsers to determine whether they could identify the objects. Again only chance results were obtained. An experienced dowser was asked to determine whether water was flowing in a plastic pipe. The water was randomly turned on or off for 50 trials. No significant results were obtained. From the report, the tests seem to have been well organized and well conducted. "

There were many poorly performed tests done on dowsing over the years listed in the article. Most all reported negative results. Those that were better controlled found dowsing to be no better than chance.

The US military has been fooled by dowsing more than once. You can read how they threw away millions on the ACD-651 LRL for bomb detection ... [news.bbc.co.uk]

Here's the 2010 video report from CNN ... [www.youtube.com]

While dowsing can't find anything of value and is useless, not so with dowsers themselves - they appear quite useful at getting rich off the ignorance of others.
January 20, 2013 02:21AM
New to this site but not to metal detecting or life. After reading that someone else was watching America Unearthed and saw Leonard dowsing for bones, my thought was "how the heck could he do that?" Today, while watching a piece about Einstein's brain and his beliefs and theory's the folks who made the film mentioned Einstein believed in dowsing. His thought was it had something to do with the electromagnetic energy being channeled through the person dowsing. This is not to change the naysayers minds, I just thought it to be an interesting piece which would fit this thread. Things I do not know about but others believe in, I usually comment that I have never seen it or have never seen it work. It usually leads me to do some investigating on my own. Never believed there could be life on another planet but with so much more information today than in the 70's, I have changed my mind. Maybe the information was available but not it did not get to me. An open mind is healthy no matter your level of education. Just because I cannot explain it, does not mean it cannot be.

As far as LRL, someone else must have brought this up. Brandon did enough research to enable him to make an informed decision that these were a get rich quick scheme. Never seen an ad by the dowsing rod sellers which shows him/her living in a mansion with all kinds of expensive autos and stating you too can have all the wealth in the world if you sold dowsing rods; just send me $350.00 and I will send you my book on how to sell dowsing rods.

If you are a non believer and all you read is negative articles, well then, you most likely will not believe. Not a bad thing. The ugliness in most people comes out when they try to explain they do not believe and have to cut others down or make simple comments. I know we all share a great passion for metal detecting/treasure hunting. Why let your passion over ride your ability to speak or write intelligently?

Good thread though and I do look forward to reading others. Regards Pulltab
January 20, 2013 07:47AM
Pulltab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...the folks who made the film mentioned Einstein believed in dowsing.

This is a claim that pro-dowsers mention quite a lot. So years ago I researched it. I traced it back to an article written in the 1950's, in "Fate Magazine." Fate Magazine was similar to the lost treasure magazines of the 1960's, where most of the articles are fiction presented as fact; Fate articles all centered on the supernatural. The Einstein article was written under a fake name, and the author's "cited source" was a dead end; it did not exist.

Ergo, the claim that Einstein believed in dowsing is likely a complete fabrication. Dowsing lore is full of this stuff.
January 20, 2013 12:09PM
Pretty easy to experiment yourselves and the equipment can be made in 5 minutes.
Or, grab a tree branch.
January 20, 2013 03:37PM
Im surprised this thread is still going!
January 20, 2013 06:04PM
Dowsing is always good for a rise to the bait.

It always amazes me how people obsess over metal detector performance and rigorous tests to obtain unbiased results. Yet any demand of the same applied to dowsing is met with accusations of "closed minds" and the virtues of having an open mind. From my perspective it is dowsers who have closed minds. They are absolutely impervious to the overwhelming evidence that says dowsing does not work, that if fairly tested it has results no better than chance. Having an open mind does not mean having a lack of critical thinking skills. It means being open to evidence. I am open to evidence that dowsing works but dowsers are unable or unwilling to provide it. It is not up to me to prove dowsing does not work, it is up to dowsers to prove it does.

Metal detectors work whether you believe in them of not. Dowsing does not work no matter how much you want to believe in it. If you think otherwise - then prove it.

Steve Herschbach
Find me on Facebook

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 04:21PM by Steve Herschbach.
January 21, 2013 03:16PM
Steve, thanks for the link. Good read. Regards Pulltab
January 21, 2013 07:31PM
didnt they try Uri Geller that famous spoon bender to give it a go and nothing positive was obtained ....

he now sells a kit to teach you how to dows

Geller has also ventured into the lucrative New Age self-help/personal growth industry. For sale is his Mind-Power Kit for about $30. The kit includes an audio tape, a crystal, and a book with topics such as how to develop your ESP, dowsing, crystal power, color therapy, and, of course, psychokinesis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 07:36PM by diggers.
January 21, 2013 10:56PM
When I was a teenager...I used to hunt with alot of the old timer's...

There was a few of them that were into the Dowsing,,,Even map dowsing,,,,It was very popular back in the early to mid 80's...

They were into Cherokee indian treasure's...

They did everything from dreaming about it to actually looking for it without detector's..

They could read Trail marker's and tree carving's,,very well...And they taught me alot about that aspect..And I believe in treasure Sign's...Serioulsy I do..

I have my own reason's for that...

One of the guys from back then that lived around here wrote book and was buddys with one of my buddy's ...

I never got to meet him..Just never happened...But he has passed on now...

But on the back of His book he is sitting in a chair and theres something to his left....leaned against the chair...Alwasy wondered what it is...One of my buddy's knows by they way He acted when I mentioned it but shrugged it off...

Them old timers were tight lipped and superstitious..But they were great guys...alot of them are gone now...

Anyway heres the Pic...Look at the device...????

Maybe a spanish dip needle or something I havent a clue..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 10:59PM by Keith Southern.
January 22, 2013 01:09AM
Keith, I would think there is a difference between someone practicing dark arts...which I would suppose would
include dowsing and the ones who now claim that their dowser/LRL can find particular objects in the ground.

This was taken an extra step by manufacturing the devices and then advertising them as a legitimate metal (gold) locator.
Even a big mail order company in Florida was guilty of selling them to the general public.

It wouldn't be a far stretch to think someone's ability to "read" a site was/is a bigger asset than any passive device they might have in their hands.

I don't see anything wrong with being curious about dowsing but there was and still may be a lot of money to be made off those that really don't know
that these devices don't operate within the confines of electronics, electricity, magnetics, electro-magnetics or the mechanical world as we know it.

As one mentioned an earlier reply about this thread not dieing yet....likely this thread will go on for long time to come...

Someone out there might actually reply that has this book and perhaps the mystery about what the gentleman has in the picture can be identified.

BTW, I tried to get one of the makers of an LRL to send me one of his (for free) with the agreement if I found that it actually works
I would then be his best voice and salesman...of course he didn't want to do that.
There ain't no way I will believe any of these devices work...until I can get it to work myself and it has to work without "supernatural" forces at work.
But I won't spend money on them...someone will have to loan me one to let me see for myself...therefore we are back to "Prove it".
January 22, 2013 01:21AM
you know guys and i've stressed this before I ASKED IF ANYBODY HAD tried this nothing about selling LRLS or proving that works or not just wanted some feedback if anyone had tried this now scientific or not this part of it was not my question i think i will NASA TOM too remove this thread its just getting side tracked.
January 22, 2013 01:33AM
I don't believe in long range locator's..Or Radiesthesia...

But I believe the picture on the back of the book is a dowsing device of some sort...Thought it was a good time to find out since Carl is frequenting this subject..I have wondered about the device for a along time...

I do believe in CERTAIN Indian removal treasure signs though most of them are becoming lost forever with modernization..and forest removal...

I find the topic of Indian treasure fascinating and often times real...Its a part of History...But thats a whole different topic..

Keith
January 22, 2013 02:24AM
We had a dowser look for water on our ranch. He took out across a large pasture with a forked stick and we did not see him for 3 days, We later found out that he had alzheimer's
January 22, 2013 02:45AM
'And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'
January 22, 2013 02:47AM
dam thats a hell of a thing aint it Ezed, Hey Keith i believe heavily in the native american culture as my great great grandmother was mowhawk indian
January 22, 2013 07:13AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> But I believe the picture on the back of the book
> is a dowsing device of some sort...Thought it was
> a good time to find out since Carl is frequenting
> this subject..I have wondered about the device for
> a along time...

Sorry, I can't tell. Doesn't look like a Spanish Dip Needle, which I have.
January 22, 2013 07:16AM
AMCJAVELIN Wrote:
> you know guys and i've stressed this before I
> ASKED IF ANYBODY HAD tried this ... just
> wanted some feedback if anyone had tried this

Yes, I have. And I've spent 15 years investigating dowsing, and testing numerous "experienced" dowsers.

The results so far: zilch.
January 22, 2013 11:20AM
thank you Geotech i apreciate your answer.
January 22, 2013 02:38PM
(((Just a thought))) = How do you RE-tune the same dowsing device looking for a gold ring........... to looking for a water source.
January 22, 2013 02:47PM
Easy just turn the flux capacitor knob clockwise
January 22, 2013 07:05PM
Go-rebels....that was uncalled for. I don't expect to have to put up with those comments on a metal detecting site.

Mike
January 22, 2013 08:57PM
Quoting Benjamin Disraeli is bad?

Steve Herschbach
January 23, 2013 02:21AM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> Quoting Benjamin Disraeli is bad?
>
> Steve Herschbach

Whos quoting Benjamin Desraeli?
January 23, 2013 03:46AM
Last post by Go-rebels. I assume Mike was referring to it but I could be wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 03:47AM by Steve Herschbach.
January 23, 2013 04:14AM
OK, I was'nt aware that was a Benjamin Desraeli quote, but it is.