Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hi guys any news or tests on the vista Smart

Posted by brett27 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hi guys any news or tests on the vista Smart
January 24, 2013 10:12AM
Hi all any updates on this machine
Re: Hi guys any news or tests on the vista Smart
January 24, 2013 10:49AM
will be doing a quick vid this week end if i have time the cold snap were having is just effecting everything for me right now will next week send to keith sourthern for testing so you can see the real capabillities
January 24, 2013 11:50AM
Thanks Jav
January 24, 2013 12:16PM
thanks Amcjavelin will be looking forward to the results smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2013 12:17PM by brett27.
January 24, 2013 03:47PM
I have an air test done but I want to redo some parts of it. It is against the GMP. I will try to get it done over the weekend.
January 24, 2013 04:30PM
This will be cool to see which detector may be the best of the group...This forum is my main read forum and my only tie to detecting while I try and get better...Thanks

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 24, 2013 07:34PM
Hey Lowboy,
we all hope you get back to 100% real soon. I think alot of detectorists feel the same way about this forum. Something about honesty and unbiased comes to mind.
(( thanks Tom D))
January 25, 2013 12:11AM
I have had my Vista smart for two days but cannot use it outdoors because of the deep freeze here in Indiana. I have taken it out doors and used it but have been unable to dig. Here are a few observations that I have made so far with the detector.

1. The detector is a pleasure to swing because of the lightness and ergonomics.

2. The signal is a joy to hear picking up targets. The vista Smart locks on targets more precisely then any other detector I have used and I have used many.

3. The ease of pinpointing is fantastic even without using the pinpointer button.

4, There is not any problem learning how to use the detector. It is very user friendly.

5. To accurately ground balance is a cinch.

6. I am not to excited about removing a small screw to get to the batteries. But battery life is long enough it does not create much of a problem.

7. EMI is virtually non existent.

8. A wide range of swing speeds work well.

9. Build quality is excellent.

10 This machine opens old hunting grounds into virgin territory based on a comparison with my T2SE and AT PRO..

I will keep you up to date as I get the chance to dig targets.

January 25, 2013 12:18AM
you will be alot sooner than i will be unless we really have a warm up soon and somehow i see that happening
January 25, 2013 03:16AM
Sounds good 78...

Glad you find the Vista appealing to you...

Good observations

Keith
January 26, 2013 11:22AM
Looking on with interest from the UK posters on this one.

With the XP Goldie and for some even the Deus both excellent machines, however one of the gripes in the UK was how they liked coke.

Some could master this problem and tell the difference by the tones or notch on the Deus but for many it was a killer that made them swiTch to another machine, no matter how hard they tried they could not distinguish between the tones of a keeper and coke.

Not sure on you guys in the the States but many UK sites have a lot of coke on or just under the surface, some are littered with it which if it gives a positive tone can ruin your detecting.

For a machine that has no meter which totally relies on tone it will be interesting to see if the Vista Smart and other detectors from them have any problems in this area.

Does anyone know yet?
Thanks.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2013 11:26AM by mart.
January 26, 2013 12:11PM
........... and coke will also mask targets.
Ground balance adjustment is key to partial mitigation (up to nearly full resolution...... in many cases) of coke.

It really says something ......... when the European top-end detectors are meterless.
January 26, 2013 12:13PM
what the heck is coke other than the kind you drink? it what we coal here by chance?
January 26, 2013 12:24PM
yes it is coal i think or very similar
January 26, 2013 02:05PM
"what the heck is coke?" - partially burnt coal. Composed of a lot of carbon, it conducts electricity, and gives a 'low conductivity' target response, sadly not always that low, it can be as high as a US 5c nickel. It comes from steam-powered farm machinery.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2013 02:10PM by Pimento.
January 26, 2013 03:41PM
I have noticed the frequency of the UK detectorist finding coke and can imagine how it could be frustrating. . Fortunately we don't have much coke here in Indiana. I believe you could find a way to minimize the problem with fine tuning the ground balance setting. Our ground is frozen to the point you can't dig right now
January 26, 2013 03:49PM
you folks that far down south can't dig either huh? I know one thing to find a different ocupation to head south in the winter unless they got propane delivery in carolina's and georgia
January 26, 2013 04:18PM
Today is a PERFECT day to detect here in Tennessee. If I get my laundry done before sundown, I may go. Otherwise.....priorities priorities. I don't gotta like 'em. But I gotta tend to 'em.
January 26, 2013 04:28PM
Yes i know what ya mean now if we could make detecting a priority LOL
January 26, 2013 09:14PM
The Smart will detect coke (depending on the size), nothing to be done about that

mart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking on with interest from the UK posters on
> this one.
>
> With the XP Goldie and for some even the Deus both
> excellent machines, however one of the gripes in
> the UK was how they liked coke.
>
> Some could master this problem and tell the
> difference by the tones or notch on the Deus but
> for many it was a killer that made them swiTch to
> another machine, no matter how hard they tried
> they could not distinguish between the tones of a
> keeper and coke.
>
> Not sure on you guys in the the States but many UK
> sites have a lot of coke on or just under the
> surface, some are littered with it which if it
> gives a positive tone can ruin your detecting.
>
> For a machine that has no meter which totally
> relies on tone it will be interesting to see if
> the Vista Smart and other detectors from them have
> any problems in this area.
>
> Does anyone know yet?
> Thanks.
January 26, 2013 10:19PM
how does these compare to the explorer 2
Mal
January 27, 2013 09:11AM
Where I live in England,,,,,,,, coke on some fields especially after plowing (when all the light weight coke/shale is turned to the surface) the ground is nearly undetectable. A Explorer is the machine of choice. My ears pricked up when NASA Tom mentioned ground balance settings. Could would someone elaborate a bit more on the subject especially applicable to the Goldmax and the t2 . The coke on the t2 range from 38to 90 , some can be ID by the tone but less than one in twenty and not any on a wet day. It has beaten me for the last twenty years so any help would be really appreciated. Malcolm.
January 27, 2013 12:33PM
Mal,

If you have not already done so........... take one (painful) day and recover a fairly large amount of coke samples. Go home. Then test each one..... to find the "mid-point" average one. Use this specific coke sample to adjust Grnd Bal to a point whereby you most audibly understand that it is coke. Let this Grnd Bal point be your 'standard' for hunting in coke-riddled areas. Although not perfect, this method will help expedite the learning-curve process .... so as to more easily audibly ID hot-rocks/coke. If you can mitigate.............. or completely eliminate........... the recovery of coke,,,,,,,, the fields you hunt will become virgin/unhunted............ and quite productive.
Mal
January 27, 2013 04:02PM
Thank you for the answer..... Will certainly try the suggested method,,,,,had never thought of doing so, had just accepted the situation. As you say virgin fields, some years the plow is kind and the stuff lies deep but other years ohh boy . Malcolm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 04:05PM by Mal.
January 27, 2013 09:46PM
My understanding is that sometimes coke can give a tell tale sign by a bright "zing" to the tone being present.
By doing what Tom says and experimenting with the Grnd Bal apparently this enhances this characteristic even more.
It seems however that the this "zing" at the end of the sweep is peculiar to only a small frequency range and is why so many even very experienced detectorist just can't master it.
If your hearing will not pick it up as distinct from the rest of the good tone for whatever reason, then in effect it isn't there for you and never will be.

The T2 on my sites it usually reads aroung the 42 mark.

On the Deus 28, which you could set a small notch to get rid of it without too much risk of loosing anything good.
Mal
January 28, 2013 06:36PM
Again thank you for the replies,,,,, the coke/cinders/natural shale is very inconsistent some of it even registers on the explorer. I've had deep gold that was 38 on the T2.
As for the tones,,,,,, on the coke fields unless the target is very shallow the tones with what ever machine are scratchy at best. The Goldmax has a iron sound either at the front in the middle or at the end on every signal, the T2 each target sounds as if close to iron.
I think this is due to the ground,,,, the streams bottoms are bright orange with rust, the area mined iron ore. The explorer squeels like a pig above 10/15 sens, the T2 62/79 four bars fe, two numbers either side of GB and its out, the sound of the ground never goes away just have to equal it both sides.
Not sure if the steam engine ploughing was the culprit, it looks natural like a hard pan the plow has disturbed, some is as light as a feather ( cinders) some like shiny black coal and heavy and some a slated grey like shale, plus hot and cold rocks. When the ground drys up (wettest winter know last year) will post some bits Malcolm.
January 28, 2013 08:18PM
Sounds like your field(s) are a detectorists nightmare
and a detectors nightmare
January 29, 2013 05:00PM
Still no news on the vista smart ????????
January 29, 2013 07:43PM
Hey Bret I will be using a SMART this week.

Starting Thursday...

Hopefully I can get a comaprison video going Thursday afternoon..

Keith
January 29, 2013 10:49PM
I can't wait to see what the SMART and RELIC machines will do for you, i'm really interested in the depth test he he he LOL!