Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Great old Amusement Parks

Posted by turtleman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Great old Amusement Parks
August 12, 2009 04:42AM
Maybe this will help someone discover a great hunting site.
There is a program on PBS satelite channel 284 here in Canada anyway,called "Great Old Amusement Parks" that talks about and shows old amusement Parks in different states, dating back to the mid to late 1800's.
Hope this helps someone. They showed one picture of Connie Island(spelling), and I couldn't believe the number of people on the beach. Was absolutely mind boggeling.

Happy Hunting
Re: Great old Amusement Parks
August 12, 2009 06:44AM
You might like this site:

[www.defunctparks.com]
August 12, 2009 01:40PM
Unfortunately our local park is now the site of a Senior High School but still gives up some siver on the outskirts. One wonders how much silver coins lurk under the asphalt. Indeed if you find one or perhaps old fair grounds that are untouched prepare to be rewarded and thanks for the info...
August 12, 2009 08:32PM
I'm trying to locate where the original fairgrounds are located in the county I grew up in. It was used from about the 1870's-1920's and then moved. Some of the old local history books show photos, and say it's 2 miles east of a town, but when looking at google satellite maps, it's hard to figure out exactly where this spot is located. I'm going to try to see if I can find it on an old map at their county library or such, it's very possible it's never been hunted.
August 13, 2009 02:43AM
My club used to meet at a community library that was part of the once Pinellas County, FL County Fairgrounds. The county decided to rebuild it into the Largo Central Park. They bladed about a foot thick layer off the area (probably 20+ acres) and gave us permission to hunt until construction started in a month or so. Bonanza of at least 5000 old silver coins (no gold) were found. Best time I've ever had or will ever have! ..... Love that old silver!

Sorry Tom, didn't know you back in those days or I would have invited you over!

Wally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2009 02:47AM by Suncoast Wally.
August 13, 2009 05:02AM
Also I think there's an amusement park historical society that may be a source for more precise locations.
August 13, 2009 05:20PM
Fascinating! Too bad that a foot of top-soil had to be removed..... to finally be able to reach the depths of where these old silver coins were. Most folks would never realize this.
August 14, 2009 04:11AM
I forgot to mention that we found out where they took the excesss dirt but no matter our effort they wouldn't let us at it. I'm sure there had to be some more there.

Wally
August 15, 2009 02:21AM
I would still keep an eye on the fill dirt. Maybe the land will change hands & you can hunt it another time...........see ya mark