Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

After life the science of decay

Posted by james1969 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
After life the science of decay
March 03, 2013 09:56PM
I just watched a BBC documentary called "After life the science of decay" which can be found on youtube ,it seems that the ground where a dead body has decomposed can be up to 30 times more conductive than the surrounding
dirt in the same field ,this is caused by electrolytes leeching out of the body into the dirt and raising its conductivity. Now I wonder what does this mean for us ,will that patch of ground act like wet salt beach sand and enable greater
depths to be achieved ? ,will the detector become erratic as it senses a higher conductivity "target" and need re ground balancing ,will it be more like a patch of hot dirt ?
How about a mass burial after a battle...surely the ground would be very conductive ?

I wonder could such a patch of highly conductive ground be a reason for the crazy depths some people have reported on certain targets ,have we dug really deep buttons/buckles from completely decomposed dead bodies and never known it..........it's all kind of interesting. Any thoughts ?
Re: After life the science of decay
March 03, 2013 10:20PM
Good info James...

I know on a U.S. Belt buckle of Civil War vintage the corpse buckle's will look awful...the lead will be about destroyed and they will roll in on tere self as the dirt pushes the buckle though the opening cavity under it...the acid's must really take a tool on the metal..

You can tell a body buckle once you have seen them..

Keith
March 04, 2013 07:44AM
Guys,... I'm having breakfast!!

In my camping spots people dispose of all kind of fluids, usually I stick a unit of auto ground balance or run a CZ/BBS/FBS unit.

HH
Johnb
March 04, 2013 01:52PM
Original post deleted as may have been taken the wrong way......sorry but not a subject I would not feel comfortable discussing....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2013 05:51PM by Dan-Pa..
March 04, 2013 05:10PM
Hey Dan I would not dig into a burial to save my life...

What I was refferring to is the known ones look different.. and the known ones I have seem from archaeological digs have weird patina and shape sometimes..

Also I have seen them come out of construction sites here arund the house buldozer operators dig into them occasionaly and work has to be stopped....till the archaeologist gets through...

But NO I would not dig a Grave .. i was refferring to the original poster talking about ground minera and acids..

I just live in between ALOT of battlefields ..

I remember one was found in a neighborhood building project years back and it was a Reb.. he got a proper burial from the Sons of the confederate veteran's...I went to the funeral very heart touching event...

Keith
March 04, 2013 05:45PM
Keith had to revisit just because you posted..Indeed yourself and many relic battlefield hunters certainly respectfully hunt and indeed imagine most areas you hunt remains are long gone so I certainly understand and hope my post was not misunderstood but the thoughts of analyzing or whatever these situations just turned me off and certainly no disrepect to you or any anyone who does this type of hunting....so lets just move on and smell the roses and enjoy our pursuits...
March 04, 2013 05:49PM
Guys we are obviously not talking about graves.......did not occur to me anyone would think that !

Remember horses ,cows or any aninimals have the same efffect..........but yes maybe this topic requires a strong stomach......
March 04, 2013 05:51PM
Hey Dan I sent you a P.M.

I sometimes word things wrong when I am in a hurry ...but I appoligize for any offense...

Yes lets smell the roses..LOL!!!!

Keith
March 05, 2013 09:16PM
Keith I got back to you and all is well...Thanks James for bringing up the part about animals as certainly is a possibility...Unfortunately I scan read and misunderstood and apologize if this caused any problems as I know we have a lot of good folks on this forum which is cetainly well run...so indeed lets move on....
March 05, 2013 09:21PM
Just a note: There's a BIG (I reckon) Civil War relic gathering at Corinth Mississippi this weekend. It would be neat to see some fellow reic hunters there. There are supposed to be displaying a famous CSA sword found at the Battle of Corinth belonging to a famous CSA Officer. I really think that i can find a sitter for momma so that I can attend Saturday's event. It's on Sunday too. (sorry for the hijack, but I thought that it might indirectly apply)