Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F75 hunting at the beach

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F75 hunting at the beach
September 12, 2009 11:37AM
Can honestly say I spent more than 16 hours testing (not counting many more fun hours) the F75 in both the dry and wet sand areas of Holden Beach North Carolina. I was completly satisfied with my machine. The machine had performed very good inland and now I learned it was good for the beach too. Didn't find much the first couple of days but on day three an old man told me that the city had added 2+ feet of fresh sand over the whole beach after a storm last fall. Yep that would explain the slim pickings but that's not the end of the story. Wednesday's wave action changed to the worse and suddenly the beach changed. High areas became low and uncovered what was believed to be old sand and that's where my son in law with his E-Trac and I with my F75 started hunting. Suddenly dropped coins came up from 3 to 8" deep and in the wet sand to boot. Now of course we dug all good beeps and dug a lot of trash and beer tabs, but had a great time. More to come on the testing. And yes, we did produce a video that we hope to put on youtube soon. Hey, this is real life experiences.
Re: F75 hunting at the beach
September 12, 2009 03:42PM
Can you share what settings you used. I live up the road near Topsail. I have tried my F75 a few times with not much luck. Can't find anything to rival my Excalibur at the beach.
September 12, 2009 09:14PM
Mark,

I would be curious as to where your G.B. was set.
September 13, 2009 01:03AM
In the wet sand my ground balance was between 0 and 1. I rechecked it often and found that it only required one notch to up date the GB when needed. I feel very fortunate that there are 5 click between each number on the GB scale.
September 13, 2009 11:30AM
Here in Florida......I'm on the bottom 'click' of '0' the acquire a wet-salt G.B.
August 27, 2010 06:18PM
I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to confirm your setting on the LTD for beach conditions north of you. I was able to manually GB in the wet sand at dead 0, even when water was washing in over the coil, and although the LTD was a bit wavy through the sweep due to the salt sand, it still maintained very good depth on targets. Bottlecaps are easy to distinguish, and I found at least 4-5 coin size targets at 9+ inches with sensitivity set to 80. Among several other items, I detected several pieces of foil at 3+ inches that I knew I would have walked over with the Sov. sadly, no gold sightings this time out.
Overall, I'd have to say I was very impressed with the LTD for our beach use, since I didn't expect it to GB at all in the wet sand. With the hard rain we had up here yesterday, I didn't really have any 'dry' sand to test it on, but I found if I backed off the GB manually a notch or two as I moved to the blanket zone (drier sand), that was all it needed to quiet down when hunting further from the water (but still on hard pack).

Tom, if you can remember, what did you set your sensitivity to when trying your F75 or LTD in wet salt sand? I hunted mostly all metal, but disc mode seemed to do about the same when set to BP and disc. 6.
August 28, 2010 03:50PM
All-metal mode (which worked slightly better than Disc)............and Sens was set below '30'........and above '80'. There were a different set of problems with the different Disc settings. Overall, the unit was not stable.......nor was it sensitive to smaller gold items in the wet salt.
September 02, 2010 03:55PM
Ok, thanks. That makes me wonder if there isn't more than a little difference in beach condition between our beach and yours (conditions, which as we know change from day to day).
September 02, 2010 07:28PM
Two months ago......I was detecting just North of the Daytona Beach pier...............and ................ YES, there was a considerable difference in salt performance differential from Daytona Beach vs Cocoa Beach. AND I DO NOT KNOW WHY!!!!

I also learned (in short order).....that I would be succumbed by a multi-million $$$ sand replenishment project......of which......had excessive amounts of aluminum can-slaw to contend with. ((( Still managed to find 19 pieces of jewelry. NONE of which were gold! ))).
September 04, 2010 05:30PM
Sounds like my lastvexperience at NSB. Truly a sad day of slaw digging.