Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

If only I could.......

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: If only I could.......
March 13, 2013 08:59AM
Bioturbation

[projectpast.org]
March 13, 2013 10:42AM
Johnnyanglo....... what an interesting (thought-provoking) homework project!
Something that I've been wanting to write up..... but STILL do not have the proper time.......... is one example (of many). I've hunted the back of a 1883 school yard for 16 years.......dozens of times....... with various detectors..... of improving technological advancement.... as years progress. The second-to-the-last hunt....... produced zero coins. Then...... with a new detector.......... 27 more coins were located (in a 30' x 55' area)........... making me believe that there was a coin in the ground about every 16-inches apart from each other (nominal/median average). This prompted me to dig a pit...... to prove a theory......... as.......... I still thought my (16" per coin guesstimation) was overexaggerated; only to learn the averaging was 11" separation between coins. That's how dense the coin population is ... in the back of this school yard. This is also to say....... most of the coins are still there....... and are masked or too deep.

Another interesting point brought up. Many old homes were wooden..... and suspended off of the ground by stilts. If a coin falls through the cracks of the floor of an old home......... the coin is now underneath the house...... laying on the ground............ and (for the most part) protected from mother nature. Say the house is abondoned.... then lifted and discarded 100 years later. That coin will hardly sink (((during the time it is underneath the house))) ..... due to 'mother nature' being removed from the equation. It will probably only be about 1" or 2" deep.
Conclusion = Mother nature is a very dynamic force.
Yes...... aluminum soda tabs are light/low-density.......... having about the same light/low-density as the sand/dirt they displace. Stating they have a 'sink rate'........... when ......... in actuality.......... rather; mother nature 'covers them up'...... with the various forces mother nature presents.
March 13, 2013 11:28AM
Tom, your house example is spot on. There was an old house in Stockton raised up on cribbage so that a new footing could be poured. My first signal was a double eagle! And it was not deep..less than 2 inches I'm sure...and that's a heavy, dense coin. Me and two friends came back and found an additional 50 coins or so, all in the top inch or two, we even eyeballed old marbles and such. Ray
March 14, 2013 01:17AM
Sounds like it would have been worth sifting!
March 14, 2013 02:37AM
Bet it would have Tom. But these where early a.m. jaunts..couple of white boys draw unwanted attention in a Stockton ghetto.
One mean man trencher
March 14, 2013 07:23AM
Well when the action starts drying up ....

And the cream off the top was exceptionally good (first 12 -15 inches)....

I have trenched hut sites of french forts the huts where layed out in straight lines with long walks to parade grounds

After finding these paths... trenched out 4 ft.wide by 30-50 ft long in 8 inch increments down to 4.5 ft

Deepest coin 5 ft 1720
(one of Jims Many Dug coins while in the : God Mode: )

Was it worth IT .......what do you think.....Found plenty .....What does not kill.... you.... makes you stronger....

Jim's "300 Work Out" do ye have the Heart of a Spartan warrior ....are you

300% about success with ....your passions = Abundant life.... its up to You ....take no prisoners...

And I filled it in much faster than it came out .....this is easy compared to digging up all the ballast stones from ancient ship wreck on treasure island

You only go around Once....... save the whine for the cheese and suck it up... Make it Happen!

Happy Trails
jimpugh ps ....300 coming to a village near you.....

"Git Thar Firstus Wid De Mostus"

XP Gold max Power V4, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, XP DEUS....Gold Bug SE, T2 LTD, F75 LTD,CZ5, Garret VLF/Tr 500, Original Silver Saber, Silver Saber Plus, 6000DiProXL, Toltec,Toltec II, Stingray,
Stingray II, 2 each Baracuda, Original Sovereign, Sea Search Excal, Excal 1000, Red Heat Big Box XD17
Red Heat XD17 Micro,E-Trac, Gold Scan 6, Aqua Star,Gold mountain 1650,Gold mountain King Cobra, Vision 3i, Metrotech 220a, Garret Coin Commander freedom One.......I sure i left 3 or four like my Gardinier, Nautilas4, Datona....etc....Ive really lost count of what's laying here and there in my room...

My AirrrCanes, Garret PRO pinpointer And a Big Shovel!