Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone use a Golden UMax?

Posted by ShovelNose 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone use a Golden UMax?
March 13, 2013 02:20AM
We have close to 200 parks in my county and considering a Golden to search for gold rings and jewelry. Really like the notch setup. I know I may miss some rings by notching out the tabs. I have a Safari that is my go to coin machine and I have found gold with it but the trash I have to dig wont cut it in the parks. I have seen some vids on them but just wondered what the Pros here think about this MD. Thanks for the input JR
Re: Anyone use a Golden UMax?
March 13, 2013 01:21PM
Never had one but I am looking to get one when Tesoro starts production again. (I suggest you wait as they might enhance it somewhat)

The ONLY complaint I have heard is that they are not deep (and don't have GB's).

Albert
March 13, 2013 01:32PM
Well number one Tesoro's are certainly one of the best gold jewelry units out there. I have used every Tesoro notch unit ever made so heres my feelings...
Golden for years had too many tones too close together and recently they readjusted the tonal makeup of the unit but for me too many tones and notches but many do well with them and also Golden done away with the regular non motion pinpoint which had audio variances and switched to VCO. I really believe the unit needs a toggle to give you the choice of either and also manual ground balance. Personally I prefer the previous notch units with a high and low tone such as the Golden Sabre plus, Golden Sabre 11 and Pantera. Pantera is probably the best as it does have manual ground balance. As stated before adding VCO to the Golden and doing away with the standard pinpoint robbed me of audio variances in pinpoint which cut down the odds gold ring or junk which I won't go into as most can't master the audio variances and think I have lost it when I try to explain. Again these are just my personal preferences and many find ways to setup the golden for their area and although not the deepest around well learned should serve you well for what you plan to use it for.
In addendum if they added a toggle for choice of pinpoint, manual ground balance, with the new tones I would surely try one.
March 13, 2013 08:03PM
Owned one and liked the machine but ultimately sold it.

It is a good detector, loved the tones, I could just dig high tones and get clad coins (with the occassional crushed aluminum can) all day.

Depth was nothing remakrable, about 6" as I recall. Fixed ground balance.

The notching was a neat feature but as you pointed out, notching will cost you gold.

I feel there are better jewlery hunting machines out there, like the Compadre of the Gold Bug Pro or the Gold Bug II if you are REALLY serious.

But for those days when you just want to cruise and cherry pick clad, there is no finer detector to use, IMHO.
March 14, 2013 12:42AM
Thanks guys. My understanding from someone in know its a parts supply issue but Tesoro is keeping it close to hip. Like the concern they had with their water machines. Having a Garrett PP using the MD to PP isn't an issue even though the concentric coil is easy to do it with. Have heard the same concern about the tones not being far enough apart. Thinking most finds I will make with it will be current drops so shouldn't be to deep. In the surrounding areas of Charlotte the ground is mineralized so GB is a concern but for some reason the parks don't seem to have the issue. Some food for thought for sure. I have found one that a local dealer has but it is the old tone unit.
March 14, 2013 12:55AM
Thanks guys. My understanding from someone in know its a parts supply issue but Tesoro is keeping it close to hip. Like the concern they had with their water machines. Having a Garrett PP using the MD to PP isn't an issue even though the concentric coil is easy to do it with. Have heard the same concern about the tones not being far enough apart. Thinking most finds I will make with it will be current drops so shouldn't be to deep. In the Charlotte area the ground is mineralzed so GB is a concern but for some reason the parks don't seem to have the issue but digging a lot of holes no matter how neat because of pop tabs could be problem.
March 14, 2013 01:41PM
Well, if you live near me, its a terrible unit. Just a bad unit all the way around. sad smiley

If you don't live near me, then the new toned unit is a great jewelry hunter. smiling smiley They changed that nickel tone to something that stands out. It has a predetermined width, but they allow you to move that tonal flag around by the use of the Notch Width dial. Very nice.

I've posted my responses and thoughts on the Tesoro board at Findmall. Just search for them and you'll learn all you need to know.

I'm currently doing the same thing with the DFX and a reverse mixed mode program (audio flagging what I want to stand out)

HH
Mike
March 14, 2013 02:12PM
Again Mike knows a variety of detectors and would take him up on reading his postings. Am sure he offers some good ideas on settings and such. One wonders if a manual ground balance would help him out in his neck of the woods.
Myself use a Golden Sabre Plus thats a little heavy(circa 1979) with a freq. of 15 that will spank many of the newer notch units especially the small stuff so whatever works.
PS: Mike is a very knowlegable guy thats not afraid to share his findings and when he posts I read...
March 15, 2013 09:31PM
Thanks Dan,

I've been thinking about another GSII. The GS11 has an internal pot that controls the width of the notch for Notch Accept/Notch Reject. Been thinking maybe bring that out on an external pot. It would allow some easy user control on the notch width and expand the tone break point a little bit. Then put it on a straight shaft with a handle button for mode changes.

There is one thing with the new toned Golden that I don't know if its a flaw or a plus. The nickel tone tonal notch is fixed and you just move it around with notch width control. I like it like that, personally, and am hoping Tesoro doesn't change it. But I'd like to control that tonal notch width at will, make it smaller or larger, while still able to move it around with the existing Notch Width dial.

But then I look over at the DFX and think, "I can do that now", though it is not as easy as turning a dial.

shrug

HH
Mike
March 16, 2013 12:14AM
Thanks Mike and Dan, I'll look it up. I have found over the last few days with talking to over a dozen Tesoro dealers how unhappy some are with factory. Several reason but cant say on Finds as they would delete and don't want to start rumors. Understand why they are. I did get a heck of a deal on a new tone unit and will pick up Sunday. I just sold the AT Pro so off to new adventures. Larger parks here do get hunted but the neighborhood parks and schools not so much. Hoping to get a few rings under belt so I can get a CZ that has been tuned by Tom. Willnt use it much around here but want one for that nitch it fits so well. Had a newer one and ID like it should but not a depth monster as other are. Barely hit a dime at 8" air test. So parted with it.
March 16, 2013 09:22PM
I would talk to Tom before I bought the CZ for him to tune if extra depth is the sole goal.Ask him if tuning will gain any depth. Just a suggestion .