Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Compass Gold Scanner Pro?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Compass Gold Scanner Pro?
March 23, 2013 06:50PM
I think I seen where some on the Forum had this Compass oldie but goodie. I had a XP-Pro for awhile,But not the Goldscanner pro. I was wondering your likes or dislikes? Reason there is a cheap one on the bay at this moment. Always heard they were the top of line way back when. I know there is a Compass forum thought I would ask here as some I know have used it on this forum. Thanks.
Re: Compass Gold Scanner Pro?
March 23, 2013 07:30PM
Hi Harold,

I've used both the XP-Pro & XP-Pro Plus and GoldScanner Pro. Still have them, when used for coin shooting or relic hunting the three are equal in disc mode. The GoldScanner Pro has an advantage in all-metal due to the Auto Sat feature which is mainly used for gold nugget hunting, otherwise the three are equal in disc mode performance wise.

However, From experience the GoldScanner Pro tends to have more issues later on. The XP-Pro models tend to give the user less issues as the machine ages.

Even today, I still consider either one a top of the line detector for relic hunting. Lighting fast recovery speed and great see through iron abilities, snaged my first gold coin with one.

Paul (Ca)
March 24, 2013 05:32PM
That's funny I always heard the Gold Scanner Pro was the cream of the crop for depth and sens. due to the manual ground balance. I seem to remember last summer or so one brought 1000.00 on e-bay? I know that is to much even though it was N.O.S.,But somebody thought alot of it?
March 24, 2013 06:08PM
Also take in consideration, if you need one repaired, there is only one person, that I am aware, that repairs these units in the US. Due to some health issues, back logged on repairs and trying to find parts, it can take a year or more to get it back.
March 24, 2013 08:18PM
I miss my Gold Scanner Pro....it was the best compass I ever used...

I sold it in a moment of cloudiness...

But they are getting old and coils when/if they fail are hard to find that are not already wore out...

They fetch alot of money...but I would not pay 1,000 dollars for one....I would not go as high as 500 unless it has all the coil's not this day and time..

They have a cult following now day's....nostalgia and proven performance combine to create heavy price's.

I think some people buy them and never use them they just wan to be able to say they have a certian model in the collection like a Au-52 or an X-200 etc...

they don't want to use them they will loose resale value of they get dirty...that's alot of what you have to deal with in the compass market...Good machine's but comes with a price,,,,,,They were ahead of their time or right on time and thing's havent changed alot ? Hummmm...

It's a crossover type machine work well but collectors want them too..Yes people collect metal detector's..right down to the original brochure's and all optional coil's and add on's that were available...If you have the original box to boot LOOK out....

so when 2 type demands are after the same product they get pricey...

I could get caught up in the collecting side if I was not carefull..I have to remind myself sometimes to back off in an auction...I have to say to myself I hunt I don't collect I need a tool not a wall hanger...LOL!!

But the nostalgia of an 70's or 80's model machine is tough not to get drawn into..The heyday machine's for sure....

Do we have to have one? Nope...

But I sure do miss my XP Gold Scanner Pro LOL!

Keith
March 24, 2013 08:38PM
Depends if you have one made before the fire that wiped Compass out as they were really nice units. Several years ago one fella must have bought the patents and well his units did not have the makeup of older models...and being a Mom-Pop outfit believe they went out of business...Indeed tough to find coils or get repaired with either...
Would imagine thats why it went so cheap and believe me lots of Compass guys doing well with the older models before the fire wiped them out...as originally were way ahead of their time as accurate and well made outfits they were even though heavy...
March 24, 2013 08:51PM
Well first of all there is a nice one on E-BAY rite know with 2 coils only up to 233.00. As far as parts and repair Keith wills still does repairs and has alot N.OS. parts including coils.
March 24, 2013 09:03PM
Plus they do very well, as stated, in the iron. In the video it isn't a Gold Scanner, it is a Coin Scanner.

[www.youtube.com]
March 25, 2013 12:56AM
Keith Wills is usually up to his neck in older units and does have a lot of parts, manuals and such...Unfortunately may be a while before its returned due to the aforementioned
sentence....
March 25, 2013 01:00AM
The XP-Pro Plus has a manual GB, and another Varifilter Scanner Series was the original CoinScanner with manual GB same double stack circuit boards as the XP-Pro and GoldScanner Pro only minus notch and adjustable all-metal threshold.

I use them allot, from experience they are equal in disc mode.

Currently have four GoldScanner Pro models, had six but sold two of them to friends.

Paul (Ca)