Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Do coins actually sink?

Posted by robertj298 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Do coins actually sink?
April 10, 2013 12:36AM
I've always been of the opinion that coins do not sink that much but become deep because of vegetation decaying over the top of them year after year. I have noticed that the few wooded areas I hunt that don't have much undergrowth the coins aren't near as deep as in grassy areas that are cut frequently.
Re: Do coins actually sink?
April 10, 2013 12:48AM
Haha - here we go.

You can test this theory. Just drop a coin on top of some top soil with earth worms in it, set it on the refrigerator for slight vibration, and poor water on it, stick it in the freezer for a few days, thaw it, etc. See what happens.
April 10, 2013 12:57AM
This topic was done to death (here)>> [www.dankowskidetectors.com]
April 10, 2013 01:14PM
Many varied theories on the subject all I know is that 10 inch silver dime I dug the other day ought to tell you something....
April 11, 2013 04:46AM
They sink just like the old sidewalks that are lower than the surrounding sod does.
April 11, 2013 04:53AM
Hobo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They sink just like the old sidewalks that are
> lower than the surrounding sod does.

Ahhh but have those sidewalks sunk or has the surrounding sod built up higher over the years from the grass being cut and decomposing?
April 11, 2013 06:10AM
You got it. IMO the get covered and engulfed by grass roots more than they sink. If they sank because of the weight, pulltabs would remain on top forever since they are lighter or about the same SG as most soils. Place a coin on sterile soil ( treated so no vegatation would grow) cover it with a box and leave it undisturbed for 50 yrs. I doubt if it would sink a inch. Foot traffic and freezing and thawing can possibly force a coin into the ground. JMO