Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gold Bug Pro / G2 Farmfield Finds

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gold Bug Pro / G2 Farmfield Finds
May 17, 2013 01:59AM
Hunted an 1850s farmfield site where a house once stood but was torn down around the 1920's and is now partially farmfield and part woods with my Gold Bug Pro/G2.. The site has megatons of iron strewn throughout - you can't swing 6 inches in any direction without encountering iron - the machine was cracking/popping constantly with the grunts of iron but I managed to pull some decent finds...

Good Find #1 is the Women's Relief Medal 1883 found near where the house stood at approx. 5 inches deep among the iron/scrap
Good Find #2 is the 1848 LG Cent found in the farmfield mixed in with even more iron/junk but the GPB kept hitting a high tone along with the grunts of iron so I dug down about 7 inches and out she popped - I had to scrub the corrosion away only to find it's badly pitted but nonetheless - it's a LG cent and my 1st this yr!

The rest of the copper/items was pulled from the iron/scrap/junk while hunting the field and every piece had me hoping it'd be another LG cent but... I never get that lucky!

HH all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2013 02:46AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: Gold Bug Pro / G2 Farmfield Finds
May 17, 2013 03:08AM
Believe it or not, I have found that same medal at a demo in Stockton, Ca. Way to go!
May 17, 2013 09:30AM
The LC looks in decent shape compared to many from the ground. The oval shaped object, (right, middle) is that a change purse frame? or just wishful thinking?
May 17, 2013 11:17AM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The LC looks in decent shape compared to many from
> the ground. The oval shaped object, (right,
> middle) is that a change purse frame? or just
> wishful thinking?

The LG cent has detail (not all worn out) but it's severely pitted - the picture doesn't show it too well.

And the oval thing isn't a change purse frame (sort of looks like one)... I don't really know what to think of it - it has remnants of "mother of Pearl" overlay on it?? Mirror frame??
May 18, 2013 10:56PM
Nice finds there MRH!
May 19, 2013 02:00AM
Nice penny for sure!!

Keith