Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab SE Pro cross hair movement

Posted by Coinseeker 78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Minelab SE Pro cross hair movement
May 18, 2013 07:22PM
I find on a lot of occasions my cross hair moves across the top of my smartfind screen from coin area to the border of the mask which is set at 22 sometime the cross hair will lock in the dime quarter position and the sounds are always high. What causes this to happen? Also the same thing can happen on a nickel reading with the right tone for a nickel. Any info will be helpful
Re: Minelab SE Pro cross hair movement
May 19, 2013 02:01AM
Sens set to high for conditons it sound's like...

but at the same time use the tones not the screen for higher perfomance....i.e more depth....

Keith
May 19, 2013 12:37PM
You can also get screen freeze from to much sensitivity. The coil is taking in a LOT of material to process in an attempt to average it and give you a TID. The coil also has a heck of a foot print.... thats also being processed. Sometimes its a matter of getting your coil over the target, sweep speed, or just a matter of its not capable of filtering everthing. Like Keith said..... the key is in the tones.... especially on silver. I dont know if you have ever seen Mike Moutreys screens he did on targets movements, but you can learn a great deal from the smart screen at a glance. Sometimes i think we all would be better off without a screen which gives us a reason NOT to dig. Think how small and light machines could be.

Dew
May 19, 2013 01:05PM
Have to agree with the guys rel hunting by tone is where its at with the Explorer series....of course an ID number and movement of the cursor all help to dig or not..I always felt
the way a target was laying in the ground or perhaps masking junk can cause odd movements of the cursor but with experience and digging a lot of targets you will know just about what you have. Certainly not ruling out sens. to high, improper swing speed but all in all its a learning process. Personally when I used an Explorer a silver dime would stop me in my tracks and excellent tonal interpetation is where its at plus cursor movement and a number ID. Mike Mountray previously mentioned has some good info rel cursor movement and a lot of Explorer info and would google his name. Minelab has built some good products but there is a learning period and time in the field and a little experimenting and you will find a lot of goodies but it doesn't come overnight...
May 20, 2013 05:00PM
Coinseeker,
The curser movement is due to the ferrous number changing on your sweeps.

Notice that your conductive number isn't changing that much...maybe a number or two from up or down veritical jumps, but the ferrous number is changing a lot more on the horizontal scale. So the question to be answered is, "Why is my ferrous number spread so large over multiple sweeps?"

HH
Mike
May 20, 2013 05:25PM
Mike you think it might be ferrous objects masking which causes the spread or the turned target hitting at different angles which would correlate with my post....

In any case time in the field and remembering previous movements all leads to less digging and more goodies in the pouch. Explorer series sure gives a lot of info and learning to interpet what its telling all falls in place in time but again it takes time and hunting with an experienced Explorer hunter shortens the learning period...
May 20, 2013 06:00PM
Seems like my crosshairs and numbers haven't worked for years. I get a good signal but the cursor freezes up. Dewcons explaination of screen freeze and high sensitivity makes sense.

I usually run my sensitivity near maximum.

I thought my machine might be broken. It's good to know that all it might be is high sensitivity. This doesn't matter much to me because I hunt by tone and rarely look at the screen. It's actually a good thing because it taught me to not to let the screen influence my decision to dig.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2013 11:02PM by Badger in NH.
May 20, 2013 06:52PM
Again when the sens is to high it will do that...the crosshairs freeze up and like to float across the top...

the CTX does not exhibit this on a side note...

Keith
May 20, 2013 08:20PM
You fellas using max. sens. do some testing and you may find dropping it a bit will get you more depth....imagine it depends on your ground.....and whatever works....
May 20, 2013 10:21PM
The Exp just has a slow recover in tuff areas... to much sensitivity and it hangs. In these locations i used that screen freeze to set my sensitivity..... works well.

Dew
May 20, 2013 10:40PM
Ha, dew, WTG using a glitch to help set the sens.
May 20, 2013 10:58PM
The way I set my sense is, if I hear any feedback from the ground, I lower it just to the edge of where it goes away. It just feels like it's getting the best performance that way.

Most of the time it's at manual 28 at my fields. Norrmal range is 26 to 30.

I should do more testing though. That's the only way to be sure.
May 21, 2013 12:47AM
Hey guys,
I appreciate all your suggestions but I am using 26 sensitivity in auto mode. I confuses me to think this is to much sensitivity. Maybe the auto mode is trying to give me a higher sensitivity then I need I don't really know. I do get a good lock on the cross hair when I am getting a good signal on a coin or some other object not masked out.
May 21, 2013 10:15AM
My take is this --

Mike Hillis is right -- i.e. the question is, WHY is your CO number staying "good," while the FE number is ranging from low (right side of screen) to high (left side of screen)?

Yes, the "screen lock up" (which many have mentioned) can be caused by too much sensitivity -- i.e. the machine is hearing/seeing too many returns (targets, ground noise, etc.) and thus, while trying to "settle" on an "ID," it "freezes," until it can make sense of things (which, if sensitivity is too high, it sometimes cannot).

BUT -- that may be a different issue, than what you are describing, I think -- and besides, running AUTO sensitivity, you are not running your sensitivity too high, by definition. That's the whole point of auto sensitivity -- to let the machine choose a "conservative" sensitivity level to run at.

I'd need more details as to exactly how and when and what is happening to your screen, but if you are saying that while sweeping repeatedly over a target, rotating your body around the target while you sweep, that you are getting this "right to left" flutter of the cursor, it likely means one of two things...

1. You are dealing with a DEEP, but possibly GOOD target; the iron in the soil is messing with the ID somewhat, such that the FE number is bouncing between lower and higher values on different sweeps -- but the CO is staying up in the coin range. This happens often, for me, with deep coins -- it's the "classic" deep coin behavior for me.

OR

2. You are dealing with a NAIL; when crossing it with sweeps parallel to the long axis of the nail, you are getting a "high-conductive coin type" reading (low FE value, high CO value), but as you rotate, and begin sweeping more perpendicular to the long axis of the nail, you start getting more of the classic "nail-type" reading (high FE value, high CO value).

Hope that helps some...

Steve
May 21, 2013 06:58PM
Its set too high for conditions ...

although it's running fine and I.d.s fine at times on shallower target's the machine is reporting different visual than its giving the tone for..

I never look at those crosshairs on an explorer to deterimine if a target is worth digging...

Most all my targets end up dead locked in the right hand corner....then run's across the top of the screen on different sweeps...

the dead giveaway is when you say its halfway in the iron mask shade..yet still giving a tone......it should be nulling if its showing half crosshair in the shade....

I actually find the explorer crosshair to be useless for serious hunting with sens in the low to mid 20's or higher...I learned back in 2000 after owning it about a week not to pay the crosshair any mind LOL!!!

now the tones thats another story....!!!!

yours is behaving fine coinseeker!

Keith
May 21, 2013 10:19PM
Keith those cross hairs were quite an improvement when they first came out with the Explorer...... i still cant watch the digital screen. Now that will drive ya nuts. Tone are your best bet for most machines that are having to process about 7 gal. of soil.

Dew
May 21, 2013 11:22PM
Isn't that 7 gallons of soil idea only for concentric coils?

DD coils have a narrow concetrated beam. That's why they separate so well. They might only process about one fifth that of a concentric coil.
May 22, 2013 02:19AM
Hey Dew!

have you tried the CTX yet?

If not I would higly recommend it for FBS your fbs needs...

the only way o can describe the CTX is like the explorer platfrom finally realized to potential..

if you like the crosshairs the CTX is dead nut almost all the time...even when sens is wide open...

one of the best disc systems I have ever used!

Keith