Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ultimate 13" coil identification

Posted by Badger in NH 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ultimate 13" coil identification
May 18, 2013 08:59PM
I have an Ultimate 13" coil that I suspect might be the wrong one for my machine. There is nothing on the coil to identfy what detector it's made for beyond the Serial Number. I sent a message to Detech but haven't heard back yet.

The cable plug fits at least three different brands. Is there a way to indetify these coils? Has anyone else run into this problem?
Re: Ultimate 13" coil identification
May 18, 2013 09:05PM
I don't know if this will help any, but the one that fits the Greek series will also work in the Fisher Gold Bug Pro DP. You probably already know that but I was trying to think of something helpful to say.
May 18, 2013 09:20PM
I should have mentioned, I bought the Ultimate coil for the T2SE.

The box the coil came in says it's for the T2.

This has me wondering, is the T2 Ultimate coil compatable with the T2SE?

BTW Kevin, the Gold Bug you sold me is working great.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2013 09:29PM by Badger in NH.
May 18, 2013 10:43PM
I have the ultimate for my F75SE and it says only F75 on the box. It works fine for me. What problems are you having? When I found it on Kellyco it only said F75 so I asked if it was for the F75SE and was assured it was.

ArtWI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2013 10:51PM by ARTWI.
May 18, 2013 11:01PM
ARTWI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have the ultimate for my F75SE and it says only
> F75 on the box. It works fine for me. What
> problems are you having? When I found it on
> Kellyco it only said F75 so I asked if it was for
> the F75SE and was assured it was.
>
> ArtWI

That's good to know. If they put the right coil in the box, then it should work.

The 13" seems tougher to ground balance and doesn't like high sensitivity. I'm only speculating at this point but the 15" SEF and stock 11" are behaving more predictably while the 13" seems to make more of a fuss. I haven't yet found a spot where it will be quiet without having to turn the sense way down.

I still have to do more tests. It may just be the conditions. I just had these questions in my mind and thought I'd ask.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2013 11:03PM by Badger in NH.
May 18, 2013 11:59PM
Try ground balancing in all metal to be sure you are on clean ground and then go back to disk side. Check to find the best/ quietest frequency. I usually carry my Garrett pinpointer in my left hand but even when turned off I have to put it in my back pocket to shield it. I normally run disk at 0 or1 but will go as high as 4. Set the sense to say 65 to start or even less and the move up as far as you can and still stay stable. I have run with 0 disk and as high as 95 but it is rare to be able to go that high in my soil. 75 to 85 is normal but once in awhile I have to drop down as low as 65 or less. Good luck on getting everything sorted out and let us know your results.

Good Hunting

ArtWI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2013 12:01AM by ARTWI.
May 19, 2013 05:44AM
Yeah Art, I did run into the ProPointer problem.

I made a special sheath for it out of tin foil and duct tape that works great. The big end of the ProPointer sticks out about an inch so I can get it in and out of the sheath easily. Now I can just carry it in my pouch or anywhere on my body.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2013 05:45AM by Badger in NH.
May 20, 2013 03:26PM
Assuming the coil is working correctly large coils see more ground. I would expect a larger coil in bad ground to be tougher to ground balance and perhaps require lower gain. If the ground is bad enough a large coil on a VLF will have no benefit and may be a step backwards.

I have a 13 Ultimate that seems to work as well on my Gold Bug Pro as on my F75SE that it was made for.

Steve Herschbach
DetectorProspector.com
May 20, 2013 05:46PM
I use the 15" SEF on it and it works fine but it always seems that the 13" Ultimate gives me trouble. As I said, I haven't really confirmed if there is something wrong with the coil.

My original question was, how can you tell which detector an Ultimate coil is designed for? All it has is a serial number, nothing else.

Still haven't heard back from Detech.
May 20, 2013 07:36PM
I guess you can't tell other than the serial number. It's the same deal with many coils. If the markings on a F75 coil or Teknetics Omega coil rubbed off you wouldn't know what machine it belonged to.

I have the Ultimate coil for my F75 and it doesn't seem to false or carry on like yours does on your T2.
May 21, 2013 11:56PM
My Detech Ultimate coil for T2 says on the box
Size 13" T2
serial no 50055
date 23.4.2013
May 22, 2013 10:15AM
If the serial numbers match, that should properly identfy the coil, although we still have to trust that the worker wrote the correct information on the box.

I can just see the person thinking, oops, did I write T2? It was supposed to say F75. Oh well, too late now.

At least the numbers do match. I'll do some tests soon and then I'll be more sure if there is a problem.
May 24, 2013 05:11PM
Ive read some reviews on the coil.... most like it and say they run higher sensitivity with it, which like Steve said is odd for a larger coil. Ive got one coming with a Sov. Im wanting to see how well it does compared to the SEF 10X12 which ive been using on my Exp since they came out. Of course im in the land of not much minerals so im hoping for some good depth.

Dew