Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tired of guessing the situation at the beach

Posted by mcgov51 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tired of guessing the situation at the beach
May 22, 2013 10:34PM
Starting to become very interested in the ocean water temps and most importantly salinity ppt levels in my area.
I want to collect enough data and do enough testing to know at what levels my small coil has become unstable,
my medium coil and my large coil . . .

As temps warm up and direct sunlight becomes a prolonged sourse of evaporation the water becomes warmer and higher in salinity.
The water evaporates but the salts do not and therefore become more concentrated . . . then in bays there are ground run-off
situations that add to salinity but I am only interested in the Atlantic Coastline.

There are many sites to help you keep track of things.

If interested or you have experience with this join in.
Re: Tired of guessing the situation at the beach
May 23, 2013 12:09AM
I always wondered, and I was going to ask this some day, when I hunt the wet sand when the tide is going out and the sand is real wet, the machine acts differently than when I hunt the went sand and the tide is coming in and the sand is not as wet, is hunting one better than the other, in other words, does the saturated sand help the machine like when you hunt in the rain in dirt
May 23, 2013 12:52AM
I am looking for answers too. I don't mind paying a little extra attention to track this but . . .

I will be tracking my location and how it relates to my equip ?

I strongly believe there is a direct coorelation between time, temp & salinity levels ppt,
coil size and design, sensitivity and other factors . . . and being unstable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2013 01:13AM by mcgov51.
May 23, 2013 06:54PM
May be a little off track on this one but one of the best trout fisherman I know always tested the temp of the water as it told him a lot....in the old days when I hunted saltwater beaches ...set the disc.low and if it beeped I dug....have to applaud your dedication my friend.....as your odds will increase....
May 24, 2013 01:09AM
Dan - I was there in mid April when we had a few days that were goood enough. I was in the water up
to ( well ? ) . . . my zipper !

The water temp was around 51F and I had no problem with my stock coil even whilst in-the-salt water.

Reflecting on the same situation from summers past ( and hunting late in those summers ) I was always
battling with being unstable in the much warmer waters.

Convinced there is a time / temp / salinity limit . . . that can wreek havoc with just about any coil should
the ppt get up high enough. The larger the coil the less ppt it takes . . .

Disc. - I'm talking an ATPro. The only disc. I use is iron at 31 and at full power.
I switch over to my CZ-20/21 8" if / when things get too unstable.

Dedication = Live data avail. by puter.
May 24, 2013 05:04PM
Interesting to see what you find out. I think there are a LOT of factors thou that affect the coil and sensitivity of choice during a given time. Ive talked to Tom about my Xcal.... one time its chattery at sensitivity 6ish the next i can run any sensitivity i wish. Wide varience there. Ive noticed the more chatter i get the more minerals seem to be in the sand its self. High turblance tend to fluff the sand out there for a better word giving me good depth ..... but i think like the Explorer the BBS doesnt really like fluff. Down here the salt does vary a good bit.

Dew
May 24, 2013 05:56PM
mgovi51 hope my post was not misunderstood as those that experiment usually find those little extras that put extra goodies in the pouch...Heck metal detectors and various coils are indeed affected by their surroundings on land or sea...Using a bunch over the years even a damp humid day compared to a sunny warm day can be like using two different units...We all have our little secrets or perhaps differences in audio, settings and above all the nut behind the wheel which includes myself contribute. Nice part of this forum lots of guys willing share versus other forums....
May 25, 2013 04:17AM
Dan - Hey neighbor . . . No problem . . . It's all good.

I'm just so focused on this ATPro salinity project of mine . . . even though I have a CZ-20/21 . . .
because I know my ATPro will continue to surprise me at the beach if I learn to forecast and handle it.

Sooooooo . . . I am going to give this salinity thing a good look. Insofar as . . . my equip, settings & location.

I have already been in the ocean salt water with my stock coil and No Problem . . . but the water temps were cold.
I will raise that bar up a few more notches when my 15" NEL Attack Coil arrives soon and water temps begin to warm up.
When all is said and done . . . my hope is to be able to Attack the wet slope with it whilst the conditions are favorable ? . . .

To me none of the usual stuff we find = Treasure.
Treasure to me would be some small, perhaps odd or rare personal momento from years gone by that whispers to me.

I just find it to be a rewarding, therapeutic and challenging thing to do . . . and deserves to be done well.
Just wish we didn't have to contend with the weird looks and rudeness from the general public because of a few bad apples.

HH To ALL
May 25, 2013 01:26PM
Heck in the old cowboy movies many wore a 6 gun on each hip....From previous experience know a CZ is tough to beat...never used an AT pro but reading and researching seems like some good input in this enviroment also. If you want an eye opener use two different machine in an old yard and surprising at the results as what one will miss the other will get..
May 27, 2013 01:17PM
I got a CZ20 and an AT Pro and the Pro just does work on my beaches up here, I have no problem but one with the CZ20, the deep hole I have to dig