Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A Reasonable Statement?

Posted by Miser 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A Reasonable Statement?
May 23, 2013 06:34PM
Would it be fair to say that the Gold Bug Pro will hit on all the same jewelry targets that the Gold Bug 2 will, if both are set as similarly as possible, but that the Gold Bug Pro will not hit them as deep?
Re: A Reasonable Statement?
May 23, 2013 06:36PM
I meant to say "not in all metal" but with iron discriminated out.
May 23, 2013 06:47PM
Theres certain small targets the goldbug 2 can hit because of the freq that the pro cant like small loop unhooked earings and such..

Just my take

But it will be micro jewelry where the two are different on larger jewelry the pro can be deeper

Keith
May 23, 2013 09:17PM
On small gold jewelry....... they both ascertain about the same depth. If the gold item is fairly large...... like a womans wedding band....... the GB-Pro will have greater depth.... assuming the larger stock (11" DD) coil is used. On micro-jewelry...... the GB-2 is the hands-down trump card.
May 23, 2013 10:18PM
In all metal there is not much if any difference, With the Pro in disc the 2 is deeper, since the 2 operates in all metal all the time. jmo...................................
May 24, 2013 12:29AM
Interesting answers. It seems the concensus that there are some jewelry targets the GB2 will get that the GB Pro will miss unless the GB Pro is in "all metal" mode.

If I am misunderstanding, please correct me. But this has been very enlightening. Thanks to you all.
May 24, 2013 01:49AM
I think you are going to dig a lot of holes with that GB2 and find a lot of small stuff. How much of that small stuff is gold only time will tell.
May 24, 2013 04:12AM
The GB2 has a ferrous disc. that work well on small iron. Looking for small jewelry, you are going to dig a lot of foil with either one
May 24, 2013 12:49PM
It's just part of my thought process. I live in Central Florida, not far from Tom in fact, and a detectorist needs to give serious thought about what they are going after around here.

Coins, on this giant sand bar I live on, have an incredible sink rate. It's so fast, that most coins dropped in the 1960's are probably so deep at this point that only an F-75, CZ-3D or E-Trac is going to have any hope of finding them.

Sure, some old coins have and will continue to be dug around here, but nowhere near what people living in locales with denser soil can find. I know finding silver is tough everywhere, but in Florida, its especially bad.

Finally accepting all this, if I going to hunt shallower targets, what do I want to pursue? Digging clad is fine, but that gets boring after awhile.

Jewlery hunting might prove the better challenge. If I am going to do that, I would hate to use a metal detector that will have me dig a ton of trash, and still manage to miss earring studs and fine gold chains.

My thinking might be flawed, but after three years of detecting and not a single old coin to show for it, I have to start thinking creatively.