Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New to the CTX 3030 and looking for "Tips and Tricks".. (What works for you?)

Posted by Peacemaker 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New to the CTX 3030 and looking for "Tips and Tricks".. (What works for you?)
June 14, 2013 07:14AM
New CTX user here...(coming from the ATPRO) and Sloooowly getting used to the machine, but many of the programs and such have me a bit 'stumped'. I've been using the combined mode 'Coin', High Trash using different modes, but haven't really noticed a HUGE difference in depth with the different settings (Fast, Deep, Response, etc...). We don't have many 'low conductors' worth mentioning or 'finding' for the most part, so it's the 'High Conductors' that I'm after... Our Clad can be 'troublesome', but I think I've come to figure out most of them... (steel dimes and quarters are the most difficult). Soil here is moderate to high (about 80 with an ATPRO).

Having said that, I have yet to find a coin near metal (large or small) and the 'squeaks' that 'could be' silver or copper seem to always appear to be rusted nails or a rusted nipple or something... Basically, I seem to be 'nulling out' a lot and it's a bit frustrating. I do notice however that I am picking up a LOT of coins on edge, which of course is a 'good thing'... The other thing is that this machine hit's on VERY SMALL items... Wow, just unreal. I'm finding copper and bronze washers that are about 3mm across! Truly amazing...

Anyway, any Tips and / or suggestions are very welcomed!
Re: New to the CTX 3030 and looking for "Tips and Tricks".. (What works for you?)
June 14, 2013 12:59PM
Most good targets will report through the null but not all of them. The best thing you can do to get rid of the null is to run a wide open screen. With the combined mode it is very easy to do.
Re: New to the CTX 3030 and looking for "Tips and Tricks".. (What works for you?)
June 14, 2013 05:19PM
Hmmm,... what works for me??

It's a very versatile machine you can actually set it up to your preference.

If you find the nulling to be annoying, most likely your threshold setting is too loud.
Your ears and brain going from threshold to null and recovering, can become quite tiresome.
Set it up like a prospecting unit.
Give it a decent audible threshold, change the pitch till the tone appears to be loudest, then run the treshold down to just audible.

If you haven't dug any targets next to iron, well you need to perfect your minelab wiggle.
Simples, stick a coins on edge in the ground. 2" deep.
Now try and hold the coil above the target and keep it quiet.
The slightest movement of that coil will alert the detector and have that coin singing through.

If you suspect a target next to trash, Minelab wiggle,.... slow isn't the word coming from a VLF, more like slooooooooooooowwww! and a few more valiums!

HH
Johnb