Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dug a good deep target today ringing in at 97 with deus

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Dug a good deep target today ringing in at 97 with deus
June 16, 2013 02:41AM
Running in 12 khz freq setting, disc at 5, reactivity at 2, silencer at 1, tracking auto with ground balance at 73. Iron vol 0. Got a tone real raspy. Would have almost bet deep iron. Vdi ringing in at 97, turn 90 degrees and all I got is a series of short clicks. Now I'm really thinking iron, but the tone just sounded a smidge too good plus the deus was giving real consistent hit with every pass over the target from the direction I could pick it up. Took 7 inches of soil out of the hole and then the deus started ringing in at 52 vdi. Two more inches down and there lies a nice small button. This deep target didn't give the nice tone rise and fall. Rather more abrupt like iron usually gives. Anyone running a deus had better think twice before notching out 97/98. If you do you will undoubtably miss some nice deep targets. I didn't notice any iron in the hole with the button whatsover. On hits where I notice unusual things I always run my deus disc to 0 and sweep the dirt and hole to maybe gather more insight on what the deus is doing for me. There is one thing I like about the deus over my CTX. And that is the deus seems to provide a signal when you start taking dirt out of the hole. The CTX lots of times will not produce a signal on deep targets after you take substantial dirt off the top of the target. Cheers.
Re: Dug a good deep target today ringing in at 97 with deus
June 16, 2013 03:20AM
I no longer have the Deus. But I know I saw many many 97's and 98's that only sounded good one direction. Checking them all would be impossible. If I was going to dig every iron tone then I should just grab a TDI and be done with it. I get what you are saying. The tone was just different enough for you to dig. But I think you are talking about a weakness of the Deus and maybe all VLF detectors. Sometimes iron is not iron. Maybe version 3 will help with the ability to sort it out. I know not to always believe the numbers, but a one way tone has to be taken as iron 99 % of the time. Congrats on choosing to dig.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2013 02:29PM by goodmore.
June 16, 2013 03:29AM
Congrats on not trusting the visual...

the DEUS does like to call deep items 98...good or bad items its does not care which...Always go by quality of tone on the DEUS ....

Yes the CTX will drop targets once the halo is disturbed...especially low conductor's....explorers do it also...Just have to remeber if you had a good hti you better find it if it dissapears...its still in the hole..

thats one reason test garden's on the FBS machines needs to be quite old.. a modern planted garden will skew real world result's..

Good info

Keith
June 16, 2013 01:39PM
Never used a Deus but from using many units over the years those real high numbers can be junk or can be that super nice find everyone walked over.
Darned if you do and darned if you don't and knowing your unit an give give you the edge to dig or not...Nature of the beast I would guess..
PS: my ratio junk to keeper was low but did find a couple of nice deep silver coins in this manner...
June 17, 2013 06:56PM
an ingot of pure silver (99.9) gets a 99 reading on the deus ,guess you would think it was trash if in the ground